Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Pretty hard to compare since they are so different.
If you like train games (or want to like them, since it's like gateway to them) then Steam, if you like euro games then Keyflower.

If I would personally have to choose, I'd probably keep Keyflower since if I'd sell Steam I'd still have Railways of the World which I like more. And Keyflower is not as confrontational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Different games, hard to compare, but Keyflower is still new and on my wishlist so it gets one vote...

(Very scientific way to pick, I know.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't every played Steam but I absolutely love Keyflower and with the expansion Keyflower: The Farmers on KS right now and schedule to be to me by December, I am excited!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam, IMO. Like the previous poster states, it all depends on what kind of game you are after.

Keyflower has some very clever aspects; the core mechanism of workers being a form of currency in addition to being workers for, well, worker placement, is clever. The restricted arrangement of tiles is also clever. It's an excellent design.

Steam is the purified essence of one of the greatest rail games ever designed; Age of Steam. It takes the competitive elements of the system, makes them more competitive, and removes the (what I consider) clunky auction, expenses and share issue mechanisms from the original. Of course, the game can be played using these; to me, though, these were rendered obsolete by the changes in the new base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, two different games with two different themes and mechanics. As Max said, I prefer Railways of the World for a train game.

Keyflower ROCKS so much I couldn't wait for the Farmers expansion on KS so got it sent from the UK directly (it actually arrived yesterday! happy dance). Fantastic, delightful, fun, fast worker placement game from one of the fathers of the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. Very different games, prefer Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep Keyflower since it will be harder to replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played steam but need to judging by the responses. Keyflower is the best game I've ever played though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither is a bad choice. Get the one your group is more likely to play perhaps? I'll bet both would be very dull alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam is okay, Keyflower is excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group we regularly play both, and enjoy both.

Keyflower finishes faster, and is easier to teach...so if those considerations are important...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.