Recommend
22 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legends of Andor» Forums » General

Subject: Underrated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Painter
Canada
Kingston
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has to be one of the most underrated games on BGG. This should be a top one hundred game, maybe in the 80's, sadly it is not. And I fail to understand why. It has replayability, is challenging, has dice, but some mitigation. Nice smooth mechanics and easy to pick up rules in a great format. The only reason I can think of is it may have been higher if plastic coloured minis were involved... Sad. That's my rant for the month.
17 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Many were turned off by the (incorrect, of course) impression that the scenarios were limited.

2. The game caught a bit of a bad rep amongst ameritrashers due to the disincentives around killing monsters.


I only recently broke down and picked it up, originally avoiding the title due to issue #1 (I was waiting for FFG to announce expansion content). Only recently did I realize how wrong footed my resistance had been.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, a fantastic fantasy game that tells great stories and plays out differently every time, which is saying a lot for a scenario-based game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly a well deserved "Kennerspiel des Jahres". If there ever was a game to merit this award in the last couple of years, it is Legends of Andor. It is my personal game of the year for sure. No other recent game came even close to the fun and the amount of positive discussion a game raised in my group.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
1. Many were turned off by the (incorrect, of course) impression that the scenarios were limited.

2. The game caught a bit of a bad rep amongst ameritrashers due to the disincentives around killing monsters.


3. Some also turned off by the way the rules are presented.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad support, few scenarios kill this game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the reasons Enish said, I think Andor suffers on BGG because of:

3. The non-traditional rulebook(-less) format. It is harder for grizzled gamers to learn a game incrementally, and it is a bit harder to mix people who know the game well and people who are new to it in the same session.

4. At least the first couple scenarios have a pretty strong puzzle aspect, where you need to "get it" to do well. That conveys the sense that once you "get it", you have "solved" the game, which is only kind of true for whichever particular scenario you "got".

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:
Bad support, few scenarios kill this game


Few scenarios is not true, there are over 20 fan-made around. I would have thought someone had translated them already...
Taverne von Andor

Don`t blame the publisher, go and take actions yourself

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this game is underrated.
The main criticism I've seen of this game is that people are concerned that it will lack replayability.
Of course, people having the notion that the game lacks replayability is not the same as the game actually lacking replayability.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
1. Many were turned off by the (incorrect, of course) impression that the scenarios were limited.

2. The game caught a bit of a bad rep amongst ameritrashers due to the disincentives around killing monsters.


3. Some also turned off by the way the rules are presented.

Because you don't have to study the rules in order to start playing the game is bad???
The 2nd German printing comes with a reference sheet you can also download from the official German website. I hope they have that also for the English version. You could study those rules, but you would spoil a few things.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In German... no in English (I don't know if you remember, but the world language is English)
... for this bad support...

Don't blame the publisher?
I blame the publisher, and is for this reason that the game has not been fully appreciated.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:
Bad support, few scenarios kill this game


Correction: bad sales disincentivized publisher support.

Still, the game could have shipped with another variable scenario or two, for sure.

I too don't care much for the approach to teaching through scenario play, though I found it novel. I'd have preferred the original scenario be meatier, regardless of the larger rule-book investment before play such would imply.

Irgendwer wrote:
Sevej wrote:


3. Some also turned off by the way the rules are presented.

Because you don't have to study the rules in order to start playing the game is bad???
The 2nd German printing comes with a reference sheet you can also download from the official German website. I hope they have that also for the English version. You could study those rules, but you would spoil a few things.


Well, no.. but we're talking about pre-purchase impression, not post purchase reality.

When I played, I found having to learn the rules while playing created an interesting discussive dynamic between the players, but--on the negative side--I did have a few moments of digging through legend cards to reconfirm some basics.

Oh, and the reference is in the English language pressing I recently purchased too, though I've yet to really delve into it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwer wrote:
Sevej wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
1. Many were turned off by the (incorrect, of course) impression that the scenarios were limited.

2. The game caught a bit of a bad rep amongst ameritrashers due to the disincentives around killing monsters.


3. Some also turned off by the way the rules are presented.

Because you don't have to study the rules in order to start playing the game is bad???
The 2nd German printing comes with a reference sheet you can also download from the official German website. I hope they have that also for the English version. You could study those rules, but you would spoil a few things.


Well, some people like to know ALL the rules of the game before playing the game to smooth ensure gameplay. Others would like a complete rules for easy reference.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:
In German... no in English (I don't know if you remember, but the world language is English)
... for this bad support...

Don't blame the publisher?
I blame the publisher, and is for this reason that the game has not been fully appreciated.

Dude, seriously ?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brettner wrote:
Shooock wrote:
In German... no in English (I don't know if you remember, but the world language is English)
... for this bad support...

Don't blame the publisher?
I blame the publisher, and is for this reason that the game has not been fully appreciated.

Dude, seriously ?



The post asks why the game is underrated, right?
Is for this reason...
The replayability is the key in a boardgame at this time...
...the game can have superb graphics and superb rules (as Andor), but if has little replayability then people don't buy it...

but also the people who buy and sell it for replay value (like me), I ask for a first time of translate the legends, I repeat a second time, the third time I sell the game ...

Why do you think Zombicide has been successful?
Has rules very bad, but scenarios that continuously release in English ... this is the key...

Another example? Robison Crusoe, the author and the publisher are Polish, but have focused on support in English ... no in Polish ...

If the publisher took the 20 legends in German and translated into English ... Now this post does not exist ...

Also because a purchaser reads of 25 legends to play, no 5(of which only 1 replayable)!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not reached the point where replayability suffers. I would play any of the legends again. I think this point is made up.

Just like in any other game there are things that are repeated and things that go differently each time you play.

I think replayability is rather good because there are also some tweaks to make each legend a bit easier or harder just as you have need to.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:



The post asks why the game is underrated, right?

I was referring to how dismissively you were answering.

Shooock wrote:
Is for this reason...
The replayability is the key in a boardgame at this time...
...the game can have superb graphics and superb rules (as Andor), but if has little replayability then people don't buy it...

How many times do you play a given game ? In Andor, we play any Legend as long as we did not defeat it. We have finished 3 Legends and have tried Legend No. 4 once so far but could not win. I assume a couple more tries until we are able to finally beat the legend. Then we have Legend 5 which will take a couple tries itself. That means when we have finished all 5 Legends we have probably played the game 20 times. I take that for 25 Euros any day of the week.

Quote:
but also the people who buy and sell it for replay value (like me), I ask for a first time of translate the legends, I repeat a second time, the third time I sell the game ...

Whom did you ask about a translation ? This is not the publishers fault.

Quote:
Why do you think Zombicide has been successful?
Has rules very bad, but scenarios that continuously release in English ... this is the key...

Personally i do not care about Zombicide hence i can not tell you if it is successful or not. But i do know that Legends is around 25 Euros atm and Zombicide is around 75 Euros.

Quote:
If the publisher took the 20 legends in German and translated into English ... Now this post does not exist ...

Maybe you can find some friendly guy who can translate the legends for you. But be sure to have some money handy since that service would not be for free...

Quote:
Also because a purchaser reads of 25 legends to play, no 5(of which only 1 replayable)!

Please show me where on the box it says that the game has 25 legends ?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
25 euro in german... 48$ in USA and 45 euro in Italy...
if you mean that this game is worth 25 euro, then I agree...
for 45 euro (or 48$) i want a active support...

for play time: i win Legend 1,2,4 first time
Legend 5 the 3° time
Legend 3 2° time(after win a time we always win with different setup)
(8 hour of play, WOW)


Quote:
Please show me where on the box it says that the game has 25 legends ?


Was a example, if a purchaser see 5 legend and go on this forum and read that aren't replayable, is very different if he read 25 legends available in a common language...

In other words, this game is closed to Germany for this more time passes and more it will become a flop...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i guess that it is safe to say that you are better off playing Zombicide then...

Quote:
if you mean that this game is worth 25 euro, then I agree...

No, that was not what i meant. And i am sure you know that. Only one more attempt to diss the game.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't to criticize the game ...
... but many people have sold, and many others have not bought for the problems I described ...

Is only to respond to the post, i don't try to convince fans ... but as a fan you do not see the problem
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I think you are making overly broad generalizations derived from your own experience and perspective, unless you are privy to actual sales data or resales statistics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I frequen assiduously the main italian forum of board games ... I report the reasons why this game after, the initial hype, has been widely criticized ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I think you are making overly broad generalizations derived from your own experience and perspective, unless you are privy to actual sales data or resales statistics.


I repeat, i do not want to convince anyone ...
I do not need statistics or anything like that ...
You ask why this game is "underrated", I tell you the "why" ...
The reason is this, that you believe or not
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I think you are making overly broad generalizations derived from your own experience and perspective, unless you are privy to actual sales data or resales statistics.


To be fair, he said "many," and whether this comes from personal perspective or not is irrelevant. Unless you're accusing him of lying, or being misinformed, a personal observation of plentiful complaints/sales speaks volumes.. specially for a game that relates to such a niche community.

In other words, if I frequent a forum where 20 people are complaining loudly, and/or reselling Andor, this weighs a lot more than if I observe 20 people doing the same with GTA 5. The latter's install base is bigger, so the relevance of the sample size diminishes (all else being equal).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Shooock wrote:

The reason is this, that you believe or not


See, no. Your opinion is that this is the reason.

That doesn't make it a fact, nor a compelling argument.

I think you point to a few key concepts that are very relevant. However, and this might just be a language barrier issue, the way you present your concepts as fact rather than supposition is incredibly alienating.

Nobody here has answers. We just have theories.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.