Terra Mystica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Founding a Town... a metric crap-ton of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules: A Town is automatically formed if a player has an area containing four directly adjacent Structures (three if one is a Sanctuary) with a combined Power Value ... of at least 7.
Also from the rules: Terrain spaces and Structures are considered directly adjacent to one another if they share a hexagon edge. Additionally, Terrain spaces and Structures separated by a River but connected via a Bridge are also considered directly adjacent to one another (see Power action „Building a Bridge“, Appendix I on page 17).

Isn't that impossible? On a hexagonal board, having 4 structures/spaces be directly adjacent to one another isn't possible. Can you have 4 buildings in a line, and does that count, even though the 4th space is clearly not adjacent to space 1 or 2? After all, space 4 would not share a hexagon edge with space 1 or 2.

From the rules: Building new Structures directly adjacent to an existing Town expands that Town rather than forming a new one.
Also from the rules (qualifying for a town): There are at least 4 Structures of one color directly adjacent to one another (see Adjacency, page 11)

The rules mention "expanding an existing town," but don't really clarify what this means. What does that mean? Do you get a new town token? How is an expanded town different than a regular town? Is it marked on the map somehow?

From the rules: When a Structure is built combining two existing Towns to one larger Town, these Towns do not lose their individual rights or functions (despite the fact that you cannot tell anymore where their borders are).

What functions do existing towns have? Was I supposed to mark town borders somehow, and if so, with what?

When this game was explained to me, I was told that existing towns (and structures adjacent to existing towns) don't count towards forming new towns. Is that correct?

Lastly, suppose I have 4 spaces in a row, all with structures, and I meet the 7 Power requirement. I put my town under space 1. I then build a new structure on space 5, in the same row. We now have 4 structures in a row again (spaces 2 through 5), and they qualify for a town. Can I build a town on space 2, and repeat this process? If my previous question was correct (can't use adjacent town spaces), I could just build 2 structures (spaces 3 through 6 now), and build a new town, even through spaces 3 and 4 were "used" in forming the first town?

... Sorry for not being exactly clear in my questions, but I'm quite confused as to how this works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Lapointe
Canada
Napierville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to have 4 buildings that are in contact. A line is good, each hex don't need to touch all the other hexes...

You can expand an existing town by upgrading building or adding new dwelling, but that don't bring any special bonus.

To mark a town, you place the Town Bonus on it, it only mean that any building touching that group is part of that town and can't be used to found a new town.

For your last question. You always look at it as a group of structure, so a town is compromised at the minimum of 4 structures with a 7 of power values (beside the sanctuary and -6 favor tiles exception). It can grow bigger than that but it's still just 1 single town.

Hope it answer your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphus wrote:
You need to have 4 buildings that are in contact. A line is good, each hex don't need to touch all the other hexes...

You can expand an existing town by upgrading building or adding new dwelling, but that don't bring any special bonus.

To mark a town, you place the Town Bonus on it, it only mean that any building touching that group is part of that town and can't be used to found a new town.

For your last question. You always look at it as a group of structure, so a town is compromised at the minimum of 4 structures with a 7 of power values (beside the sanctuary and -6 favor tiles exception). It can grow bigger than that but it's still just 1 single town.

Hope it answer your question.

So, no matter how large of a blob of structures I build, as long as it's 1 single blob, it can only ever have 1 town in it (unless I build 2 separate blobs and connect them later, after each has already founded a town)?

Adjacency in this game is explained very poorly. They really should have used "connected" if that's what is meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TyrionXavier wrote:

So, no matter how large of a blob of structures I build, as long as it's 1 single blob, it can only ever have 1 town in it (unless I build 2 separate blobs and connect them later, after each has already founded a town)?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TyrionXavier wrote:
On a hexagonal board, having 4 structures/spaces be directly adjacent to one another isn't possible. Can you have 4 buildings in a line, and does that count, even though the 4th space is clearly not adjacent to space 1 or 2?

You're right - that's impossible - therefore it's obviously 4 connected in a way such that each is connected to at least one of the other 3 - not each hex connected to all of the other 3.

TyrionXavier wrote:
The rules mention "expanding an existing town," but don't really clarify what this means. What does that mean? Do you get a new town token? How is an expanded town different than a regular town? Is it marked on the map somehow?

It means exactly what it says - expanding an existing town. No you don't get a new token - because it's the SAME town - expanded. How is an expanded down different from a regular town you say? It's bigger!

TyrionXavier wrote:
What functions do existing towns have? Was I supposed to mark town borders somehow, and if so, with what?

When you form a town the sole advantage you get is the town tile which conveys some VPs and maybe some extra benefit such as a Priest or money or whatever. What the rule is saying, is that if you join 2 such towns together you still retain the 2 town tiles and retain the VPs already earned. No you don't need to mark borders.

TyrionXavier wrote:
When this game was explained to me, I was told that existing towns (and structures adjacent to existing towns) don't count towards forming new towns. Is that correct?

Yes - where adjacent means DIRECTLY adjacent. But you can start a new town by building INDIRECTLY adjacent to a structure in your existing town.

TyrionXavier wrote:
Lastly, suppose I have 4 spaces in a row, all with structures, and I meet the 7 Power requirement. I put my town under space 1. I then build a new structure on space 5, in the same row. We now have 4 structures in a row again (spaces 2 through 5), and they qualify for a town. Can I build a town on space 2, and repeat this process?

No. See the previous answer. By building on space 5 you have EXPANDED your first town, not started a new one. You must build your 2nd town starting in a space which is not directly adjacent to your existing town.

TyrionXavier wrote:
... Sorry for not being exactly clear in my questions, but I'm quite confused as to how this works.

You're overthinking things. The rules are clear and well written. I hope this info helpsd - enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip af Malmborg
Sweden
Solna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyrionXavier wrote:
Adjacency in this game is explained very poorly. They really should have used "connected" if that's what is meant.

I have to disagree. There is even a very clear section of the rulebook which explains the meaning of both direct and indirect adjacency, through both plain text and pictures of examples. I don't think it can get much more clear than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is brilliant. I interpreted this the same way as the original poster. The example of gained power talks about adjacent buildings and excludes one at the rear of the blob so adjacency is used in the rules for two different things (I think). A brilliant game with this one blot.

If you look at the 6 point town favour tile it shows a string of linear buildings and this only fueled my confusion. I am thumbing everyone now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flipmaester wrote:
TyrionXavier wrote:

I have to disagree. There is even a very clear section of the rulebook which explains the meaning of both direct and indirect adjacency, through both plain text and pictures of examples. I don't think it can get much more clear than that.

You got a cooler version of the rulebook myself, since my copy doesn't have any picture examples of what counts as a town. I figured the right answer based on the fact that four hexes cannot all touch one another, but the explanation ofo adjacency could use work. A couple of pictures would actually have been very nice.

It doesn't help that the rulebook is laid out like a car accident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.