flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"Reading history, Pinky..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated 03/06/14:

Counters:

C22 Idzumi and C23 Yaeyama should each have one deck-mounted torpedo.

Special Rules:

In Neutral Ports (11.3), the last line should read,

"Ships remaining in a neutral port (except those of Korea) for more than six turns..."

Combat can occur in Korean ports, and internment does not apply to them.

In Cripples, the first line should read,

"A crippled ship is one that has lost half its hull boxes, half of its largest gun type or suffered a reduction in speed."

Also, a crippled ship that successfully returns to a friendly port must remain in the port for the rest of the game.

In Battle Scenario 16,

Tsessarevitch should be the flagship (and Peresviet the "replacement").

In Battle Scenario 23,

Add B19 Imp. Nikolai I to the "Lead" Russian group.

Note that while this is Nebogatoff's flagship, he does not qualify as a leader for this scenario due to low initiative.

In Operational Scenario 5,

Delete C03 Akitsushima from the forces starting at Sasebo (Z 17).

Add 4 x Large Transport and 16 x Small Transport to the Japanese forces starting at Sasebo, and 4 x Small Transport to the Japanese forces starting at Shimonoseki.

Replace the starting locations of AC00 Chiyoda and C23 Yaeyama with:

"At any Korean or Chinese port, need not set up together:"

Delete ML01 Amur and ML02 Yenisei from the forces starting at Port Arthur (F 13). There is no mine warfare in this scenario.

Add the following scenario special rule:

"Peaceful Co-Existence: Situations may arise in which ships of both sides start the game in the same port. In these instances, (1) contact between opposing forces remaining in port is automatic, and (2) if either player desires combat, set up per standard tactical rules; vessels of both sides may move normally in combat."

This reflects the fact that both sides had ships on station in the various regional ports; however if hostilities commenced, both sides were expected to avoid settling their differences at quayside.

Clarification: Japanese troops must be unloaded in the ports of Chemulpo and Fusan, not in the sea zones (i.e. the port must be entered).

The first line of victory conditions should read: "The Japanese player receives 5 VPs for each troop point unloaded at Chemulpo by Turn 19 / prior to Turn 20,..."

In Operational Scenario 6,

The starting location listed for the Russian armored cruiser group should be: "At Vladivostok (J 34):"

Delete C03 Akitsushima from the forces starting at Sasebo (Z 17).

Add the following scenario special rule:

"Chemulpo: Japanese and Russian forces start the game together in the Korean port of Chemulpo. Contact between opposing forces remaining in port is automatic. If the Japanese player desires combat prior to the restrictions on Russian mission assignment and combat, set up per standard tactical rules; vessels of both sides may move normally in combat."

Clarification: Japanese troops must be unloaded in the ports of Chemulpo and Fusan, not in the sea zones (i.e. the port must be entered).

The first line of victory conditions should read: "The Japanese player receives 5 VPs for each troop point unloaded at Chemulpo by Turn 19 / prior to Turn 20,..."

In Operational Scenario 7,

C15 Chiyoda should be AC00 Chiyoda.

In Operational Scenario 17,

There is a missing special rule:

"At the start of play, the Russian player rolls one die; on a two or higher, remove Bayan from the scenario."

Note that in OS17, the Port Arthur squadron does not have a leader... this is intentional, as it greatly restricts Russian plotting options for fleets from that location. It represents the low initiative demonstrated by Vitgift and his peers.

The OS17 victory conditions should be:

"The Japanese player scores one VP for each primary or secondary bombardment hit made against Russian port zones. The Russian player scores one VP for each primary or secondary bombardment hit against Japanese ports, and five VPs for each such hit against the Elliot Islands base (to a maximum of 25 VPs). The Russian player also receives 10 VP for each B that ends the game in Vladivostok. The Russian player must score at least 50 VPs, and have more VPs than the Japanese player, in order to win; any other result is a Japanese victory."

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
P. 9, Towing (11.2).
P. 9, Towing (11.2).

Quote:
If the towing is abandoned during tactical combat, the towed vessel may move, etc.

Shouldn't it be 'the towing vessel'?shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei Shlepov wrote:
P. 9, Towing (11.2).

Quote:
If the towing is abandoned during tactical combat, the towed vessel may move, etc.

Shouldn't it be 'the towing vessel'?shake

Hi Andrei,

11.2 refers to situations when one vessel is towing another in order to allow the latter to conserve fuel, as opposed to the latter being damaged. The rule is correct as written (emphasis on towed is mine):

"If the tow is abandoned during tactical combat, the towed vessel may move, however for the first round, speed is restricted to 1vs speed."

In this case, the vessel being towed is assumed to be getting up steam for the first round, and as a consequence is initially restricted in speed. The vessel doing the towing is assumed to have already had its steam plant up to power, and consequently is free to move normally.

This situation may arise for US monitors (in RtM) and DD's and TB's in both games.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Jim!

I failed to comprehend the general context but still got a nice operational tip for my troubles.

I really hope to bring this game on table by the 110th anniversary of Port Arthur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Operational Scenario Six, War
P. 24, Operational Scenario Six, War, lists AC01 Rurik etc. in Port-Arthur (F13).

Aren't they ought to be in Vladivostok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei Shlepov wrote:
P. 24, Operational Scenario Six, War, lists AC01 Rurik etc. in Port-Arthur (F13).

Aren't they ought to be in Vladivostok?

Whoops, bad editing on my part. The starting location listed for the AC group in OS06 should read:

At Vladivostok (J 34):

Cut and paste is a dangerous thing.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OS8, First Reinforcement Squadron
Jim,

thank you for your support!

Here's another one:

P. 34, OS8, First Reinforcement Squadron, Virenius Squadron, verbatim:

Quote:
mark off one-half fuel box

Meaning one half of fuel boxes or one half of fuel box?

These fuel boxes became twice as big, hence the confusion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei Shlepov wrote:
Here's another one:

P. 34, OS8, First Reinforcement Squadron, Virenius Squadron, verbatim:

Quote:
mark off one-half fuel box

Hi Andrei,

Just one-half of one box, i.e. 12 of 24 fuel points. The squadron is assumed to have coaled recently prior to the run to friendly ports.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P. 57, BS23 No Surrender
P. 57, BS23 No Surrender.

What happened to B19 Imp. Nikolai I? She was Nebogatoff's ship, after all, but isn't listed. Did she somehow slip to Vladivostok or had the admiral managed a separate surrender?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei Shlepov wrote:
P. 57, BS23 No Surrender.

What happened to B19 Imp. Nikolai I? She was Nebogatoff's ship, after all, but isn't listed. Did she somehow slip to Vladivostok...?

While I wish that was the case, sadly another editing mistake.

BS23, add B19 Imp. Nikolai I to the "Lead" Russian group (but no, Nebogatoff does not rank as a "leader").

Nice avatar, Andrei!

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, thank you for your support of the game!

I'm actually warming up for a 110th anniversary of RJW. Counters are being sorted, ship data sheets printed, hostilities to commence in February.

Oh, and this is a USSR stamp commemorating 45th death anniversary of V. F. Rudnev, commander of cruiser Varyag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive stamp!

I also just linked a musical Variag tribute in the RJW youtube folder.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pip
msg tools
Also in OS17, are the victory conditions supposed to be identical to OS16's? They don't seem to actually encourage the Russian player to make the run to Vladivostok, save for the bombardment of Port Arthur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

No, that's an editing mistake on my part (another cut and paste); the Russian player was supposed to get VP for getting battleships to Vladivostok. The correct conditions are:

"The Japanese player scores one VP for each primary or secondary bombardment hit made against Russian port zones. The Russian player scores one VP for each primary or secondary bombardment hit against Japanese ports, and five VPs for each such hit against the Elliot Islands base (to a maximum of 25 VPs). The Russian player also receives 10 VP for each B that ends the game in Vladivostok. The Russian player must score at least 50 VPs, and have more VPs than the Japanese player, in order to win; any other result is a Japanese victory."

I kept the bombardment option in for both players, to provide an alternate means of scoring (and keeping each other off balance).

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OS5 Apparent Equality
P. 23, Transports starting at Shimonoseki and Sasebo... are actually not listed on the previous page. Are they the same as in the following scenario OS6 War, listed on the very next page 24?

There are 12 x №. 21 TB at Shimonoseki in OS6 as well which are missing from OS5. Are they in as well?

Does the Russian squadron which may begin at Port Arthur or Vladivostok in OS5 get 2 x Kazarski TB which are listed in OS6?

Chiyoda and Yaeyama begin the game at any Korean port south of row H. Isn't it a mysterious remark since all Korean port are south of that row?

From the rules lawyer's corner: the Japanese have to unload troops in Chemulpo using Amphibious Operations special rules. Since they possibly couldn't make it in six turns, do they face internment in a neutral port? I guess not but some provision ought to be made against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrei,

Yes, in OS05 there should be 4 x LT and 16 ST starting at Sasebo, and 4 x ST starting at Shimonoseki. Note however the 12 No.21's and 2 Kazarski's you mention are not used in OS05; I removed these and several other ships for minor balance.

I don't remember why I had the comment about row H in reference to the two Japanese cruisers; they can start at any Korean or Chinese port.

A key provision missing on neutral ports, my mistake! The last line should read "Ships remaining in a neutral port (except those of Korea) for more than six turns..." Combat can occur in Korean ports, and internment does not apply to them.

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.23/24, OS5/6
C03 Akitsushima is listed both at Sasebo and Shimonoseki in both OS5 and OS6 scenario setups.

Where should she actually be?ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, Shimonoseki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C22 Idzumi
Shouldn't C22 Idzumi have a hull-mounted torpedo on her counter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrei,

Actually, one deck-mounted. These were added when taken into Japanese service in 1895, and upgraded to 18" in 1902.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OS7, Makarov Takes Command
P. 32, At Takishiki: C15 Chiyoda should be AC00 Chiyoda instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrei Shlepov wrote:
P. 32, At Takishiki: C15 Chiyoda should be AC00 Chiyoda instead?

Correct,

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P. 8, Special Rules, Submarines, Target Selection
Quote:
... type of ship (light, or all other types) will be attacked...

Should it be "capital, light or other"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrei,

Ahoy from 35k ft! Wireless on my flight home.

No, I mean't to be as written: either a small (light) target, or all other (large) targets.

I don't really like the way subs can pick targets in GWAS. I plan to make it harder / riskier to hit ships inside a screen in the future.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P. 32, OS07, Imperial Japanese Army
Thank you, Jim!

Looks like you already have an extensive and well-established view of what's to reform in GWAS.

Today's question is: where do twenty additional large transports which become ready on Turn 20 have to come from? Twenty of them already begin the game in Kure, and that's pretty much all of the countermix (7 counters x 3 transports represented = 21 transports). Since they obviously won't disappear after unloading at Chemulpo (as the Russian player gets VPs for sinking empty transports), where are you supposed to get another twenty of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.