/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me for not having card names as I'm posting this while on lunch break:

Last night played third scenario from pack 1. First turn I used the Ally (iirc it was a mercenary dude you can Bury for the action) that allows you examine the top location card, if bane, banish (not encounter) it. Lo and behold, it was the Villain. Game over.

Is that legal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Could you quote the EXACT wording on the card, please?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Ocean Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that card says if its a "boon" then banish it. The idea is that he is a mercenary for hire who is going to steal whatever loot he finds.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:
I think that card says if its a "boon" then banish it. The idea is that he is a mercenary for hire who is going to steal whatever loot he finds.


That sounds right. I think OP read the card incorrectly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grrr... Ok now I have to wait until I get home to check the card text again. soblue


In the meantime that wouldn't make sense if it did say boon instead of bane since why would you bury an ally to then banish a boon? Where is the benefit if that was the case?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bob597 wrote:
ath3ist wrote:
Forgive me for not having card names as I'm posting this while on lunch break:

Last night played third scenario from pack 1. First turn I used the Ally (iirc it was a mercenary dude you can Bury for the action) that allows you examine the top location card, if bane, banish (not encounter) it. Lo and behold, it was the Villain. Game over.

Is that legal?


Oops!

The Grizzled Mercenary card powers state:

Bury this card to add 1d8 to a combat check at your location.

Discard this card to explore your location. If you encounter a boon, banish it.

[edit] typos.


Bah!!!!! Curse my eyes!! Too late!!

That's what I get for prying them open to play until 2am....

Edit: my arrow referring to my Young Frankenstein quote got truncated

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Grrr... Ok now I have to wait until I get home to check the card text again. soblue


In the meantime that wouldn't make sense if it did say boon instead of bane since why would you bury an ally to then banish a boon? Where is the benefit if that was the case?


Because it allows you to explore again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It lets you burn through the deck faster to find the monsters/henchmen/villain. Its like the Paladin's power to discard the top card of a location if its a boon. She wants to get to the baddies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Grrr... Ok now I have to wait until I get home to check the card text again. soblue


In the meantime that wouldn't make sense if it did say boon instead of bane since why would you bury an ally to then banish a boon? Where is the benefit if that was the case?


The cost of that power is discarding, not burying, and you would do it because sometimes you NEED more explores in a turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
In the meantime that wouldn't make sense if it did say boon instead of bane since why would you bury an ally to then banish a boon? Where is the benefit if that was the case?


He's a mercenary.

He takes the damn stuff himself.

It is not a benefit.

It is a risk.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even so, didn't the villain just escape to an open location?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tkpope wrote:
Even so, didn't the villain just escape to an open location?


It's a moot point. There are no effects that would immediately banish a bane from a location deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Like I said I didn't remember the exact card text when posting today (bury/discard etc.) I just know last night when I was playing my mind processed "boon" as "bane" for some reason so I thought he was banished. So looks like I'll be replaying this one whistle which is good because I really didn't want it to be that easy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Grrr... Ok now I have to wait until I get home to check the card text again. soblue


In the meantime that wouldn't make sense if it did say boon instead of bane since why would you bury an ally to then banish a boon? Where is the benefit if that was the case?


If you're playing by the rules, a character has to be short of a type of card to pick a "basic" version of that type of card from the box between scenarios.

For example, when my cleric croaked, the wizard had to take over medic duty. I banished two of his eight spell cards during a game and in between games i went into the box and picked two Cure spells for him. My wizard doesn't have the Arcane trait so he has to banish the cure cards when he uses them (which is fine because i'll pick them again between games)

Another way to come up short on cards is for the characters to give them to each other during play. My wizard typically gives the fighter one of the Cure spell cards asap to help ensure he comes up short on spell cards again at the end of the scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Err, actually you pool all the cards for the characters to rebuild your decks. So that doesn't work. You only pick from the box if you can't rebuild from your entire party's card pool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are in conflict imo. The rulebook says chars can trade cards freely between each other between games, than Mike S said that players may not "swap" cards between char decks and the box between games. The char must be short that type of card.

Well which is it? If chars can trade cards freely between games, than two chars can swap cards back and forth between games all they want and pick from the box all they want. The operative is "freely" and I'll bet it gets erratafied out of the updated rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
The rules are in conflict imo. The rulebook says chars can trade cards freely between each other between games, than Mike S said that players may not "swap" cards between char decks and the box between games. The char must be short that type of card.

Well which is it? If chars can trade cards freely between games, than two chars can swap cards back and forth between games all they want and pick from the box all they want. The operative is "freely" and I'll bet it gets erratafied out of the updated rules.


You are misunderstanding the rules. Player can trade freely with each other between scenarios. What they cannot do freely is trade cards between their party pool (all cards possessed by all players after the scenario) and the box. When decks are reformed, they must be made up of cards from the party pool. You are only allowed to draw basics from the box if there are not enough cards of a particular type to fulfill the deck requirements of all players. In other words, you can't banish cards between scenarios just because you'd rather trade it for a card from the box. The only cards you may banish between scenarios are extras, if any, that didn't make the cut.

Example: Kyra and Valeros finish a scenario. They acquired a total of four weapons between them during play, giving them a total of eleven in their pool; the five that Val started with and the two that Kyra started with plus the four they acquired. They are only allowed to keep seven; five for Val and two for Kyra. The seven they keep between them must be from their pool of eleven. The remaining four must be banished. They could only draw from the box if their pool contained less than seven weapons after the scenario, making it impossible for both to honor their deck requirements.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread if full of epic FAIL.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faded wrote:
This thread if full of epic FAIL.


Oh I get it now... between scenarios the characters dump all their armor and weapons and shit into a big pile and divide it all back up.

That's very thematic shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narcis Madern

Figueres
Girona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least, that's more thematic than simply getting whatever you want from a magic box between scenarios.

Cracky wrote:
Faded wrote:
This thread if full of epic FAIL.


Oh I get it now... between scenarios the characters dump all their armor and weapons and shit into a big pile and divide it all back up.

That's very thematic shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Oh I get it now... between scenarios the characters dump all their armor and weapons and shit into a big pile and divide it all back up.

That's very thematic shake

That's how you play D&D, why should this be any different? Is there a magical force in this game universe that prevents characters from exchanging items they've looted?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Faded wrote:
This thread if full of epic FAIL.


Oh I get it now... between scenarios the characters dump all their armor and weapons and shit into a big pile and divide it all back up.

That's very thematic shake


If you don't think that is accurate, you have never seen a squadron of kids return from a Halloween haul.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And pretty much amounts to D&D, you grab stuff, use it and after the adventure put a bit more thought into who's better with what.

And we don't literally stick it all in a pile. Build from your own pile, stick anything not used in the middle and if you can't make up a valid deck from your stuff and other people's leftovers then you pull from the box.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spinningdice wrote:

And we don't literally stick it all in a pile. Build from your own pile, stick anything not used in the middle and if you can't make up a valid deck from your stuff and other people's leftovers then you pull from the box.


Yup, that's how it works. That's part of the fun of completing a scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faded wrote:
spinningdice wrote:

And we don't literally stick it all in a pile. Build from your own pile, stick anything not used in the middle and if you can't make up a valid deck from your stuff and other people's leftovers then you pull from the box.


Yup, that's how it works. That's part of the fun of completing a scenario.


Yes, and we play: when two can't decide who wants/is better with the Returning Throwing Axe +1, priority goes to the one who who acquired it, and then two can come up with any in-game (or real-life, even) arrangement that works.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.