17 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: How's the Single-Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The listing says this can be played by one player, but a lot of the comments seem to suggest that the main goal of the game is to beat the other players. Has anybody played it solo, and if so, how is that experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo puts you on a clock. Which pretty much simulates what the main game is, and that's a race. It is adjustable, and probably pretty easy to do any scenario in the game with it (though I wouldn't do the pure money ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a solo scenario (or "Story Card") included with the game. You can play it with three different variant victory goals. It is discussed in several threads here, recognizable by its name: "Awful Lonely In The Big Black." It plays quite well. I started with it when I got the game, and cracked the first two goals. Now that I'm an experienced player, I'll go back and try the third one again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main complaints about the game are 1) length/downtime, and 2) lack of player interaction. Luckily, those are not problems in solo play. I've only got one solo game under my belt, so my opinion hasn't solidified yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rookiebatman wrote:
The listing says this can be played by one player, but a lot of the comments seem to suggest that the main goal of the game is to beat the other players. Has anybody played it solo, and if so, how is that experience?

It's Ok. Not thematic as you'd think, mechanics are strong, very much luck of the cards.
Check out this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a solo run through thus evening. Not bad. Being able to select a full crew at the outset makes a big difference. I went after the goal to be solid with all the contacts, and completed it with one token to go out of twenty. It went fast, and I planned my route clearly to maximise efficiency (you spend a token each time you fly, which with a bad itinerary or lots of breakdowns could run out before you're warmed up), and the jobs went smoothly. Even my misbehaves were covered by a few good purchases (fake ID FTW). I was quite pleased to bring it in so close to failure, though I can't say it was ever tense or deeply involving on the way. It's not a deep game anyway, but there isn't a lot to the solo experience, really. Another player up for the theme would increase the fun, which is what the game offers - light fun. You don't buy this one unless you're up for that vibe, but really, you'll want to share it and have a few laughs as you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brief experience with a Firefly RPG reminded me that the real pleasure of being in the Firefly 'verse is the high quality of the writing and acting, not the setting itself. Because of that, I didn't really think there would be much chance that they could accurately translate the true quality of the show in that way, and it does sound like that's about right from what I'm hearing. But, if it's at least half-decent, I don't mind buying it (or putting it on my Christmas list) just to keep the dream alive. A shame, though, that the people who actually made the show so good will most likely never see a single penny of the profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hudson
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it once solo. It worked and kept me interested. I played the second scenario where you have to get $15,000 before 20 rounds is up.

My only complaint was that I personally had a hard time remembering when a turn was over. I know that sounds stupid but I would get caught up in "misbehaving" and forget if I had moved yet. Especially if I was attempted a job that included multiple misbehave cards.

I think next time I play solo I'll be more aware. Overall I did enjoy the solo play. I still prefer group play better but that is in general and not related directly to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're having trouble keeping track of actions (which I can definitely understand!), maybe make yourself a little token for each action and move it as soon as you start the action.

I enjoy the solo game (probably play 2-3 times a week), but have gotten bored with the Solo story card, so I use other stories. I find that the three goal-oriented cards (such as Harken's Folly) make for good solo games.

I'm working on a solo version of First Time in the Captain's Chair as part of multi-story solo campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to say, I found the solo game was over too quickly. May just have been having too much fun, but it didn't fill the whole evening as I'd anticipated. Going to have another multiplayer session over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran the solo game once. Only took an hour, but I've gotten some experience which speeds things up. Didn't have any trouble succeeding at the easiest goal.

Picking your four favorite crew to start out with is a fun mini-game by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord of the Tabletop
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hob69 wrote:
I went after the goal to be solid with all the contacts, and completed it with one token to go out of twenty. It went fast, and I planned my route clearly to maximise(sp.) efficiency... Even my misbehaves were covered by a few good purchases (fake ID FTW)...

Your play-through seems exactly like mine except I found the very end to be super intense. I had the Reaver cutter come in and wipe out my crew. Then it sat blocking the only planet I needed to be at to complete the game! This and I only had one timer token left before all was lost...

Check out my video of the play-through that I uploaded last night.

The total time it took for me to complete this solo round was just over 45 minutes and was a bunch of fun... I highly recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ohbe One
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lovjokes wrote:

Your play-through seems exactly like mine except I found the very end to be super intense. I had the Reaver cutter come in and wipe out my crew. Then it sat blocking the only planet I needed to be at to complete the game! This and I only had one timer token left before all was lost...

I had the same thing happen to me! Unexpected things happen in solo play that are just awesome.

I've tried about three times to just get all THREE solo goals at once (instead of picking just one) and the one I haven't got is 20 misbehave cards. Trying to get solid with all 5 contacts (And stay solid), while doing enough misbehaves is hard IMO. Also building up the right gear to protect you from misbehaves is important and takes up turns.

I've seen people say that the solo play is really easy and I wonder if people are doing more on their turns. The rule says to spend a turn token whenever you fly, but that you can only do each action once per turn. This creates a slight paradox because if you want to work twice, or buy twice at a planet, you don't actually fly...so when do you spend that turn token? There have been times when I could have done a lot more if I really only spent a token every time I flew and did actions more than once. So what I do is, if I buy and work or something and then want to work again, I spend a token when I work. Then if I fly, I don't spend a token because I already did that turn.

To people who say the theme isn't strong, they also usually say that they haven't watched the show in a while or something to that effect. Watch the show again, especially the pilot episode. SO MUCH CONTENT in the game is just from that pilot episode. And so much that happens is straight out of the show. It seems some people only think about the "hijinks" in the show and forget how almost every episode, everything goes wrong, people get shot, and they're just trying to survive (often not even completing a job and getting paid.) I feel the game does an AMAZING job at conveying this. You are always seconds away from a misbehave card that destroys you or some other thing that happens. I'm not sure what people really want or expect from a board game when they say the theme isn't there. Also, you really gotta read all the text on the cards which adds a lot to the theme as well as they do contain quotes from the show, or things just written in that firefly style dialog.

There is even a misbehave card that is something like reever attack and if you don't have River in your crew, the two outcomes other than escaping thanks to River, are BAD. That is just one small example of how I think the mechanics and details of the cards bring home the theme in a big way. It's not about recreating the show, it's about making you PART of the show. Even if you're not Mal, but just another guy with a firefly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harvey
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Be sure to put on the Rebel Galaxy soundtrack! arrrh
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211204907/playlist/3pNqrKSsoZ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyOlFool wrote:
Be sure to put on the Rebel Galaxy soundtrack! arrrh
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211204907/playlist/3pNqrKSsoZ...

That is exactly what I thought every time I started Rebel Galaxy. Great soundtrack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rookiebatman wrote:

I have always enjoyed the solo player games. Much of the time when I first started playing, I would forget to 'mark' my turn by removing the token. I remedied that by keeping a 'captain's log' of sorts where I track what I did each turn. I also use it as a reference for when I go back and write a story.

Besides that, I enjoy the solo game and challenging my previous record with harder and harder captains and/or ships and/or crew. Jude's Solo rules are an awesome addition to the suspense and hoping that by turn 20 you can make it. Each game plays like an episode of the show, so I find great enjoyment in playing.

Only downfall is the space issue and on a personal note, being unable to keep the giant space cats from running off with Harken's ship has also proven to be a challenge. If I could leave it set up all the time, then I'd be playing everyday. As it is now, I have to be more strategic and plan my games around the family dinner or the wife's crafts or whatever else is happening on the dining room table.

I'm also crazy, so take my recommendation for what it's worth. I hope you enjoy the Game as much as I have. Keep Flyin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Kepler: lol @ Giant Space Cats.
In space no-one can hear you meow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.