David Gezelius
Sweden
122 48 Årsta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played two twoplayer games.
It felt a bit bland.
But we might have missed something.

In a two player game it seemed so easy to make a province 5 squares big and thereby safe. Therefore there were not much fight around the provinces. (after the first game we even decided a province should not get a double pagoda until it had reached six squares and liked that a bit better).

The board also felt a bit big. We did not get enough contact.

Does someone know if the 'lion' side of the board is better for two players?

These are just loose questions. But as I said, we might have missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't be trying to make double pagoda groups, unless it happens after capturing. Of course, if you were doing it by capturing, then you are being competitive. A double pagoda group takes 3 placements to put 2 on the board, while 2 separate placements get you the smae 2 on the board. Fewer placements for the same decrease mean you reach zero and win first. Getting or not getting contact is up to you, not the board. You know that you can make a placement next to a tile that your opponent just played, right? That means contact all over the board, starting from the 3 preplaced colors in the center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gezelius
Sweden
122 48 Årsta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK!
I can see from your avatar that you are a Go-player. Then you should know how to analyze these things much better than me. I am therefore glad for your reply.

But that also makes me curious. Do you think there is some depth to the game? I don't mean compared to Go, but anyway...?

I will try your advise not to form double pagoda groups. And if I have success with that I might be able to force my opponent to use a different tactic as well, and thus the game might turn in a new, more challenging direction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's depth, but I believe Qin does have a learning curve and you can learn quite a few tricks during repeated play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
If you look at votes, some people don't recommend it with 3-4, while 2 seems to be the best count.

I've only played it with 2 but it didn't feel loose. It's true that you have to play bit more aggressive than in something like Carcassonne to keep it interesting. If both are playing very safe & nice, it's possible to have very little interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is common to see newer players trying to make a bunch of big, safe territories, but this isn't really the focus of the game. Try to get rid of at least two pagodas per play, and never set your opponent up for an easy 2 or 3 pagoda drop.

There is some depth here. It's not Tigris & Euphrates, but you will start to see some clever plays emerge. There is at least as much depth in 2 player as in multiplayer, and I'm not sure which I like better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.