Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Played Glass Road for the first time with two, and it was great! It just took around two hours which we found a little bit strange. Also, the whole tableau was built to the full extent. I guess we made a wee mistake, so please confirm that.

We played that everybody picks five cards and you play them from your hand until one has no cards left. Then we chose five cards from the remaining ten and did another round. Then we took the last five cards and played them thus finishing one building round.

I guess you're only supposed to do this procedure once each building round? Meaning that you have four building phases in each of which you play 3-5 cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! surprise I don't know where you got the idea that this is the rule. Definetly only one picking and building round per, well... round. 2 hours is much more than it should take. Of course you can play however you want but I doubt always filling everything will stay interesting after a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game but I was under the impression that in each round you only get five cards, i.e. there will be 10 that will go unplayed.

Also, you'll only get to play all your cards if you picked the right cards to follow the other players and unique cards for you to lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only play three cards from the five you choose. The remaining get only played, if your opponent is playing those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, in a 2-player game it is a little different - you play one card at a time and per player until one of the two players runs out of cards. This may result in one player playing up to 5 cards actively.

However, you only play one hand of 5 cards per round and there are only 4 rounds. In total, you can play between 12 and 20 cards per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan U
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, funny! We almost made the same mistake when playing the first time ;-)
Just 4 turns felt too short...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first solo game the other way round. I took only one random card and one chosen card and discarded the rest. With only 8 cards played it's very short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Actually, in a 2-player game it is a little different - you play one card at a time and per player until one of the two players runs out of cards. This may result in one player playing up to 5 cards actively.

Does this mean that the player who goes second could end up only playing 2 cards in a round? Assume player 1 plays her first card, then player 2 her first card, which matches a card in player 1's hand, so she plays it. Now, on player 1's turn, she plays her third card. Then player 2 plays her second card, which again matches one of the two remaining cards in player 1's hand, so she plays it in her second and final open slot. On player 1's turn she plays her last card in hand. At this point, player 1 has played all 5 cards (for 8 actions), and player 2 has only played 2 cards, for 2 single actions. But player 1 is out of cards, so the round ends -- correct??

If so, it seems like an 8-2 action disparity in a round is too much to overcome. I would prefer the rule to be that player 2 gets to play his third card, for 2 actions, and only then does the round end. An 8-4 action disparity is lopsided, but not so much as to effectively end the game, but 8-2 pretty much would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
If any player ends up with 3 cards left in hand when the other has played all three, that player may play one more card for a total of 3 cards. The most you can get left with is 2 cards.

It's the same in multiplayer: one player can get 8 actions in a building period while another only got 3. This is why it is important to watch your opponents and anticipate what they are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluffy Goaty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for this thread... My wife and I played for the first time last night, and I did exactly the same thing.

So... Both players pick 5 cards, and in a two player game, play (and resolve) cards until someone has no cards, then you pick up all the cards and start a new round.

Right?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffygoaty wrote:
Thanks for this thread... My wife and I played for the first time last night, and I did exactly the same thing.

So... Both players pick 5 cards, and in a two player game, play (and resolve) cards until someone has no cards, then you pick up all the cards and start a new round.

Right?!

Exactly - it's a very short game that way, but apparently it's meant to be that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat FR
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - just came on here for clarification too after my wife and I finished our first (epic) game. Guess we will need to try the proper way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nixon
United States
McLeansville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I read the rules as well, but I knew it was only supposed to take 45 mins or so to play, so I checked. The rules just didn't make it clear to me. Glad I'm not the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffygoaty wrote:

Right?!

With the one exception that IF one player has not yet played 3 cards by the time the other player has played all five, that player gets to play one final card. This rarely happens, but may if say Player 1 has cards A, B, C, D, and E in his hands (not real cards, just labels for ease of explanation) and Player 2 has cards A, B, F, G, H in his hand.

P1 plays C, P2 can't follow.
P2 plays A, P1 follows.
P1 plays D, P2 can't follow.
P2 plays B, P1 follows
P1 plays last remaining card, E, and P2 can't follow. At this point P1 is out of cards, but P2 has only played 2 cards. He gets to play one last card (and incidentally, since P1 can't follow, P2 gets to use both actions).

EDIT:
heh heh...I see someone already posted this above me. Whoops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.