Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as I've been paying attention to the KS, I've been getting more and more interested in this one, but I've learned to be wary of flashy board games, as those tend to be more expensive, so it's that much more of a let down if they don't have strong rules.

So, I'm wondering what the designers' history is like.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it; if anyone from Marrow happens to notice this, I'd also be interested in knowing what games are your favorites and/or influenced Journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no rulebook yet, but there is lots of game information. Start with this update and chase the links back.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588487845/journey-wrath...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, yeah, I've read up on the rules previews, but there's a big difference between solid concept and solid execution. A rulebook alpha/beta preview would be nice, but I find history ideal, since there's a lot you can miss (nuance, replayability, balance) just looking at mechanics, whereas long term experiences (i.e. previous games) will tend to reveal designer strengths and weaknesses.

edit: I'm definitely not opposed to new designers, either, which is why I considered influence as a secondary reference point (for instance, part of why I ultimately backed Kingdom Death was that Adam's favorite and least favorite games were pretty similar to mine, so I guessed that he had similar ideas of what made a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Štěpán Honc
United Kingdom
London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this is their first game.

I'll try to ask them for their gaming preferences but after my research on FB and KS, they have some GW wargame experiences and they want to avoid a lot of its aspect, difficult counting on the combat outcome was mentioned in particular.

On the other hand they apparently like dungeon crawl games (you wouldn't choose this genre as a designer if you don't like it) and a lot of things in Journey is quite similar to Descent Second Edition (plus they used Descent figure for comparing of the size of miniatures), so I guess that's their big influence as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiant - is that you? :-)

The comment about the forums was in update #23 at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588487845/journey-wrath...

They mentioned the forum and their plan for the rulebook during & post KS. I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

And - if you're not Radiant - I hope this helps answer your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, they're going to release the rulebook before the end of the KS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Štěpán Honc
United Kingdom
London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlikely.

Marrow Production wrote:
This is not trivial and we are not rushing to get the rulebook finished during this campaign. It needs more care and attention than we can give it while we run this Kickstarter and it is important that the first version you see is good. We will have a Journey website with forums and we will show the rulebook to backers before it is finalised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polylux1 wrote:
Unlikely.

Marrow Production wrote:
This is not trivial and we are not rushing to get the rulebook finished during this campaign. It needs more care and attention than we can give it while we run this Kickstarter and it is important that the first version you see is good. We will have a Journey website with forums and we will show the rulebook to backers before it is finalised.

No, Julien, they said they won't be released during the KS. Instead Marrow have given lots gameplay of updates and videos - they're also here on their BGG page - so that backers understand the game mechanic well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tamn, yeah, it's me, over here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.