Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions about the Apothecary's ability.

The ability on the Apothecary card reads "Located with the majority of all other characters." In the rulebook, it states that the Apothecary "will only score when he is within the largest crowd."

1) Do you count the Apothecary himself when counting the number of characters in a given location to determine which has the majority? Or, as the card wording (maybe?) seems to suggest, is the majority based on just the number of "other" characters (i.e., not including the Apothecary himself).

2) Regardless of which way the counting is done to determine the majority, if there ends up being a tie between the two locations (note that, depending on the answer to #1, it is possible that ties will only happen when the Poison expansion is used), does that mean that the Apothecary, by definition, will not score (since he needs a majority, not just a tie).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played once and we counted him as part of the character total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I can clear this up and get you all back to playing more games.

When determining majority you do indeed count the Apothecary as part of the majority "Located with" "with" being the qualifying word. In a 5- Player Game two cards are removed at the end of the draft leaving 15 cards in play so in the base game (no Poison Expansion) there shouldn't be an issue with a "tie" in the Apothecary's location since the closest it could possibly be is 8 in one location and 7 in the other. In the event of a tie (using the Poison Expansion) the Apothecary's Agenda would not be met and influence tokens on him would not be scored since he is not located in the majority area since there is no majority in this situation.

My apologies for any confusion.

rrpeter wrote:
I have a couple of questions about the Apothecary's ability.

The ability on the Apothecary card reads "Located with the majority of all other characters." In the rulebook, it states that the Apothecary "will only score when he is within the largest crowd."

1) Do you count the Apothecary himself when counting the number of characters in a given location to determine which has the majority? Or, as the card wording (maybe?) seems to suggest, is the majority based on just the number of "other" characters (i.e., not including the Apothecary himself).

2) Regardless of which way the counting is done to determine the majority, if there ends up being a tie between the two locations (note that, depending on the answer to #1, it is possible that ties will only happen when the Poison expansion is used), does that mean that the Apothecary, by definition, will not score (since he needs a majority, not just a tie).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.