Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG, I just made something that I want to share with you guys.

I was at Dublin Gamecraft Unplugged this weekend, an analog game jam. We had about 4h30m to make a game, and I chose to make a singleplayer adventure game with a folded sheet of paper.

As you make choices you fold, which makes and the paths change.

It was a refreshing little project, and I feel like making some more of these. With proper story and art, I think it could really turn into something cool.

I wrote more about this here.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Very cool! I love the DIY nature of printing out your own adventure and folding it up, but I wonder if it would lose some of the suspense since you're inevitably going to see most of the paths as you do the folding. Makes a great gift for someone else, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of the works of Jason Shiga particularly Meanwhile. Really cool, thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That's sweet.

Please make a PDF for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be a neat little idea to create a personalized story type game for a small gift. I know you have a few pictures, but is it possible to scan and upload the two sides so we could try to recreate it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll see the "You Win!" and a couple of "You Lose" but, as you can see in the last picture, the board doesn't make much sense when it's disassembled.
There are some choices which disconnect and reconnect paths, so you won't see a clear path to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I don't have one, but I plan on making a pdf that people can play around with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1GG for innovation! Win!
Another when you post the PDF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A really nice idea! I love it! I'll wait to see the pdf version. A great minimalis approach to CYOA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of making a sort of "one-use" solo, or possibly multiplayer, game where it exists like a scratch-and-win lottery ticket. Neat idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratch-off would be perfect for a dungeon crawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you mentioned, it, I've seen something like that. They came in every chip package when I was a kid.

It was a scratch card that was divided in a square grid, with the "Treasure map" theme. Every square would either be an arrow pointing to the next one you scratch, a "game over" block or a "you win". That was awesome. You felt you had a good shot every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could even use this as an "ingame gimmick": http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/friedemann-frieses-fo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
You could even use this as an "ingame gimmick": http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/friedemann-frieses-fo...

Wow, that's awesome! I had never seen it before, but in concept it's remarkably similar to what I have.
Thanks, this is exactly why I come to BGG.

The main differences seem to be the size, bigger changes to the shape of the playing field and the story element. I also change the path connections when you fold.
Still, I feel it's not as unique as I thought, and now it makes me want to change the direction this is taking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a simple proof-of-concept maze on a hexahexaflexagon.

Here is my file:

I highly suggest using these instructions to assemble it correctly.

The lines may not match up perfectly, but there are few enough that it shouldn't be confusing. I'm going to work on a larger scale one that I can include text and roll tables on. The really cool thing is that each face has two or three different orientations:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
gr9yfox wrote:
magneheeli wrote:

Wow, that's awesome! I had never seen it before, but in concept it's remarkably similar to what I have.

The main differences seem to be the size, bigger changes to the shape of the playing field and the story element. I also change the path connections when you fold.
Still, I feel it's not as unique as I thought, and now it makes me want to change the direction this is taking.

Don't be afraid, I think this idea is still plenty unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
magneheeli wrote:

Sure, it's not the same thing. I thought you could occasionally add some features of it...for storytelling purposes and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
I've made a simple proof-of-concept maze on a hexahexaflexagon.

Here is my file:

I highly suggest using these instructions to assemble it correctly.

The lines may not match up perfectly, but there are few enough that it shouldn't be confusing. I'm going to work on a larger scale one that I can include text and roll tables on. The really cool thing is that each face has two or three different orientations:

That's nice! I'll try to assemble it to really see how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.