Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand most of the rules, but for some reason a I cannot grasp conquering. gulp Must be my thick head. There is no picture showing exactly how it is done. In the rule book it shows 3 examples #1 shows a green road bordering a blue and tan region which flips over the markers. I get that. Isn't that white region conquered? The token is still there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
Understand most of the rules, but for some reason a I cannot grasp conquering. gulp Must be my thick head. There is no picture showing exactly how it is done. In the rule book it shows 3 examples #1 shows a green road bordering a blue and tan region which flips over the markers. I get that. Isn't that white region conquered? The token is still there

First of all, the example is not for conquering, but for road-building.

Second, you need to distinguish between an unconquered region (token is present, whether hidden or revealed) and a conquered region (token has been claimed by a player using the "conquer" action in the People phase).

Building roads does not conquer (remove) the Local Culture markers. Only the Conquer a Region action does that. A region with a Local Culture marker is considered unconquered, whether that marker is revealed or not.

Does this make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
keso55 wrote:

First of all, the example is not for conquering, but for road-building.

Second, you need to distinguish between an unconquered region (token is present, whether hidden or revealed) and a conquered region (token has been claimed by a player using the "conquer" action in the People phase).

Building roads does not conquer (remove) the Local Culture markers. Only the Conquer a Region action does that. A region with a Local Culture marker is considered unconquered, whether that marker is revealed or not.

Does this make sense?
Yes,I understand all that you said but how do you conquer a region. That is my main question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
Yes,I understand all that you said but how do you conquer a region. That is my main question

From the rules, page 4:
Quote:
The player turns in Labor tokens equal to the resistance on the Local Culture marker. He then takes the Local Culture marker and places it in front of him on the table...
Condition: in order to conquer a Region, you must have at least one Road connected to a site adjacent to the unconquered Region.

So in the first example at the top of the page, the green player could conquer any Local Culture marker except the face-down one, as he does not have a road adjacent to that (light blue) region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
keso55 wrote:

From the rules, page 4:
Quote:
The player turns in Labor tokens equal to the resistance on the Local Culture marker. He then takes the Local Culture marker and places it in front of him on the table...
Condition: in order to conquer a Region, you must have at least one Road connected to a site adjacent to the unconquered Region.

So in the first example at the top of the page, the green player could conquer any Local Culture marker except the face-down one, as he does not have a road adjacent to that (light blue) region.
So, he could conquer the white region by turning in 1 labor token. If you have a road bordering a region and have enough labor tokens, you can conquer correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
So, he could conquer the white region by turning in 1 labor token. If you have a road bordering a region and have enough labor tokens, you can conquer correct?

Correct. Just remember that takes up that player's Construction action, of which each player only gets one per People phase (some turns have more than one People phase).

In the People phase, a player gets to do two things (in either order):

1. Build Roads (usu. up to 2, but modified by Sun cards)

2. Construction action, which can be any one of these:
A. Found a City
B. Build a Garrison
C. Conquer a Region (this is what we would do in the above situation)
D. Build a Temple
E. Build a Terrace
F. Build one additional Road
or pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.