6 Posts

Los Incognitos: Alien iacta est» Forums » Reviews

Subject: What a great game that should've been more "shaped up" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Rama da Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
I have bought this game because of Rahdo's video.
The game looked very funny and tons on fun to play. And it is.
But first things first. I got this off Phillibert at 25€ +- which was a great price, considering.
The box art is very cute and the box has a very smooth touch to it.
However, upon opening the box I was very sad.
It comes with 2 boards (printed on both sides) and 6 dices. And that's it!
Maybe I'm being dragged along a comparison lane, but I actually got Flash Point Extreme Dangers on the same day, from the same place for 13,50€. And it's packed with 1 big board (double side) a smaller board (double side), 1 die, dozens of tokens and 9 minis... I mean, come on! The least they could've done was shave some euros off or put 4 pens in the game, with different colours, to use in the game. I mean the game needs them to play with and they don't come cheap...
That is as far as my rant will go. Or maybe a bit further since the rules are very "simple" which tend to leave a lot of room for different interpretations. But nothing too difficult to rule, since the mechanics are simple indeed.

The rules booklets (one in german the other in english) are very cool because they are just a big vertical foldable sheet, which is divided into chapters indexed on the margin for easy reference.

The boards are super fun to look at. They have very bright colours and are filled with stuff. They are well divided and are very smooth, adequate for inking them.

The icons used in the game are different and easy to identify. Nonetheless with so much happenning on the boards, one can get easily overwhelmed, choosing between routes and trying to aim for big aliens.

The object of the game is fairly easy, complete routes and catch aliens along the way. For that each player rolls 6 dice and choose which to use for each action and keeps rolling the remaining ones until he can perform no more actions. Simple but terribly strategic.
The 4 boards are very different between themselves (space, roman empire, scotland and arabian nights) and feel different due to specific rules and the amazing artwork.

I cannot recommend this enough. It's a game that is so simple you'll keep coming back to it very often and having a ton of laughs over it.

To those who can get it, do so. To the publishers, shame on you you didn't pack this with 4 markers...

Final score: 8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: not shipping with markers. My understanding is that there are various regulations that make it very difficulty to ship with "good" markers. This was a real thorn in the side of the developers of Saint Malo and that game ended up being delayed as a result, and in the end, the markers that came with it are not very good (water based instead of alchol based, IIRC, to deal with said regulations). So I can't blame the much smaller publisher of Los Incognitos for side stepping the whole issue, rather than having to raise the cost higher, delay the game, and overall introduce a world of hurt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why you go to Essen to buy these games
4 pens, 4 colors, 3 euro

But all joking aside, I understand not everyone can go to Essen, so read what Rhado said about the pens, it's almost impossible to put them inside the box. White-board pens are widely available so it should not be a problem to get them.

As for the box being empty, did you buy a full box or a fun game? That's right, the game, and in my opinion it is well worth it's price and what you get. You do not get just two double printed pieces of card board, no they're special board which you can write on and wipe again. The dice you get are custom made (which let me tell you is EXPENSIVE) which is amazing for such a small print run.

I'm loving this game and am very very happy to have bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Rama da Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
@ Rahdo thanks for that piece of info. Didn't know it would be such a hassle to ship markers... What are they thinking, that they're WoMD?

@ BorisjeNL ok, nonetheless for me it just knocks a point off the score for a boardgame to be shipped without the necessary pieces to play it. It's like selling it without the rules in and just advertise on the box, our rules are at *** site/url. Heck in maxime, just put the boards up as well as the imgs for the dice and publish it as a free PnP. It's ridiculous to do that and not expect to be criticized, hassles notwithstanding. And they're "special boards"? what makes them so special? you can laminate your boards at home and achieve the same effect! But I concede, you're right about the dice. They're specially made for it. However, it was their choice to do it so...
Now, apart from this ranting, I love the game (heck it's 8/10 for me), and I'm obviously very happy to have bought it. But I love heavy, full boxes, like Tomb's lol. That, and I received flash point extreme dangers on the same day, so.. go figure..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avaniar wrote:
What are they thinking, that they're WoMD?

Don't forget that age old wisdom: the pen (or marker) is mightier than the sword!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Rama da Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
LOL true. well seeing as they mae be alcohol based, could they think the boxes were carrying potential molotov cocktails? lol oh dear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.