Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Now that the PDF is in the wild, how are folks planning on printing the cards up? Artscow perhaps? Totally DIY? Anyone use services other than Artscow for custom cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used prinerstudio once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One issue that's going to crop up with most of the places I've seen that do custom playing cards is that they have 54 card decks, and DMD needs 60 just for the cards. The PDF ends up being 72 cards once you include the characters, suit abilities, suit ability tips, and rules cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
One issue that's going to crop up with most of the places I've seen that do custom playing cards is that they have 54 card decks, and DMD needs 60 just for the cards. The PDF ends up being 72 cards once you include the characters, suit abilities, suit ability tips, and rules cards.

Printer studio.com has several sizes of decks which allow a great deal of variety in how many cards you can get in a deck. The prices are reasonable, I like the quality better than Artscow, they ship quickly, and they even have linen finish or plastic cards available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shows you how deeply I dug around there, huh? Thanks for the added info. The linen finish is a BIG plus for me, too. Does Printerstudio allow you to save / share the same way Artscow does? If that's the case, I'll happily share whatever I come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto R
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Print Studio try to make my own. Questions? It seem you can copy direct from the PDF into Adobe Photoshop. Is this the right way to get each of the card or should be use a different process? What format do I need to save it as? How do I get the best quality and resolution?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used Acrobat Pro to just extract all the images from the PDF itself, so I have individual images for each of the card faces and back. I then used automator in Photoshop to resize the canvas to match the size desired by Print Studio and fill in the border / bleed area with a dark brown (eyedroppered from the card back). I'm mostly just waiting for 80 megs or so worth of images to upload, hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
Does Printerstudio allow you to save / share the same way Artscow does? If that's the case, I'll happily share whatever I come up with.

Unfortunately no

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto R
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
I used Acrobat Pro to just extract all the images from the PDF itself, so I have individual images for each of the card faces and back. I then used automator in Photoshop to resize the canvas to match the size desired by Print Studio and fill in the border / bleed area with a dark brown (eyedroppered from the card back). I'm mostly just waiting for 80 megs or so worth of images to upload, hehe.

Whoa, way over my head. All I got is standard Acrobat and Photoshop elements. Once you got all the image upload, could you share the link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto R
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fargy wrote:
malkie13 wrote:
Does Printerstudio allow you to save / share the same way Artscow does? If that's the case, I'll happily share whatever I come up with.

Unfortunately no

Ugh, how about sharing the 80 or so images through dropbox or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll gladly upload a file to BGG with all the images in it, but I've asked for permission from Chris (the fellow who, I believe, is from Stardock) who said it was okay for folks to share the link to the original PDF. Don't want to step on their toes since they were generous enough to release the PDF into the wild for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As an aside, because of the autofill function now on Printerstudio, other than it taking a bit to upload 85+ megs of images, it was super easy to order the deck. I ordered two with the linen finish. When they arrive, I'll happily post a review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Faulconer
United States
pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to the review. (and the files if granted permission)

On Printerstudio.com, where the images you extracted Low Resolution? I've been trying this all morning (without Photoshop) and i keep getting that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got the warning that the images were low resolution when I tried with the raw images. Using photoshop I resized the canvas (not the image, so no stretching) to the resolution suggested by Printerstudio.com (822 x 1122 for Poker sized cards as the minimum resolution) then filled in the new white space with a dark brown background as a bleed color. Once I did that, it stopped giving me the warning about the resolution being low.

As extracted from the PDF, the cards (the backs are a different story, I fiddled with that image a little because there are multiple sizes of back to cover bleed area on the full sheet print) are 758 x 1058. Its a bump of 64 pixels (or a 32 pixel border). I figure the worst case scenario is the cards end up with a thin, dark brown border, which I can live with.

This is the 2 of Anchors as extracted from the PDF.

This is the 2 of Anchors as I used it on Printerstudio

The area within the border is exactly the same as the raw image, all that changed was the canvas size to make it meet the dimensions requested by printerstudio.

Thankfully I figured out how to batch process this so I didn't have to do it 73 different times. Provided I get the thumbs up from the Stardock folks, I'll happily upload them to BGG for others to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still no reply on whether it's okay to share the pictures or not. I'll give them a couple more days, then go from there.

On the plus side, my order from Printerstudio has already shipped with the 26th as the estimated arrival date, so hopefully I'll have a review up for them soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
Still no reply on whether it's okay to share the pictures or not. I'll give them a couple more days, then go from there.

On the plus side, my order from Printerstudio has already shipped with the 26th as the estimated arrival date, so hopefully I'll have a review up for them soon.

Cool look forward to seeing how they come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
I got the warning that the images were low resolution when I tried with the raw images. Using photoshop I resized the canvas (not the image, so no stretching) to the resolution suggested by Printerstudio.com (822 x 1122 for Poker sized cards as the minimum resolution) then filled in the new white space with a dark brown background as a bleed color. Once I did that, it stopped giving me the warning about the resolution being low.

As extracted from the PDF, the cards (the backs are a different story, I fiddled with that image a little because there are multiple sizes of back to cover bleed area on the full sheet print) are 758 x 1058. Its a bump of 64 pixels (or a 32 pixel border). I figure the worst case scenario is the cards end up with a thin, dark brown border, which I can live with.

This is the 2 of Anchors as extracted from the PDF.

This is the 2 of Anchors as I used it on Printerstudio

The area within the border is exactly the same as the raw image, all that changed was the canvas size to make it meet the dimensions requested by printerstudio.

Thankfully I figured out how to batch process this so I didn't have to do it 73 different times. Provided I get the thumbs up from the Stardock folks, I'll happily upload them to BGG for others to use.

You could also try a content aware fill to increase the size letting it replicate the background and match it without any border in the bleed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gamecat_uk wrote:
You could also try a content aware fill to increase the size letting it replicate the background and match it without any border in the bleed.

I used the border mainly because I wanted to automate the process rather than do it 73 times. I had to do it once, while recording the action, then ran a batch on the cards. Took less than 5 minutes to do.

The content aware fill is amazing, but the results were not really to my liking. Often there would still be a distinct border between the card and the filled area. Sometimes it would put other elements from the card (like the sepia background image lines, or even pieces of the suit or the numbers). I could have automated the content-aware fill, but then I would have had to go back 73 times to check and possibly tweak / correct the cards. Ultimately, I decided I could like with a possible border and I found it more aesthetically pleasing to have it be a contrasting dark brown instead of trying to fudge a color close to the parchment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
gamecat_uk wrote:

I used the border mainly because I wanted to automate the process rather than do it 73 times. I had to do it once, while recording the action, then ran a batch on the cards. Took less than 5 minutes to do.

The content aware fill is amazing, but the results were not really to my liking. Often there would still be a distinct border between the card and the filled area. Sometimes it would put other elements from the card (like the sepia background image lines, or even pieces of the suit or the numbers). I could have automated the content-aware fill, but then I would have had to go back 73 times to check and possibly tweak / correct the cards. Ultimately, I decided I could like with a possible border and I found it more aesthetically pleasing to have it be a contrasting dark brown instead of trying to fudge a color close to the parchment.

Fair enough. I might take a look while I have a bit of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I managed to increase the background/border size. This now sits perfectly in the bleed area on printer studio. As each suit has its own background I can apply this border to a whole suit saving loads of time. Once I've completed it I will be happy to upload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed an error in the supplied PDF. The Anchor is the wrong way round on the 2. I'll correct this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are a couple other cards that have quirks with the numbers as well. The 3 of keys and the 9 of mermaids, off the top of my head. Depending on how the decks turn out, I may bother to order after correcting the oddities.

Good job on the border. If I scrutinize it, I can see where the border was pushed, but that's just if I feel like nit picking. I was interested in a minimal amount of work and my solution was super fast. We'll see how it looks on the printed cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
There are a couple other cards that have quirks with the numbers as well. The 3 of keys and the 9 of mermaids, off the top of my head. Depending on how the decks turn out, I may bother to order after correcting the oddities.

Good job on the border. If I scrutinize it, I can see where the border was pushed, but that's just if I feel like nit picking. I was interested in a minimal amount of work and my solution was super fast. We'll see how it looks on the printed cards.

Yeah I've done some more blending so it looks more natural now as the original has a light square outline. Theoretically most of the bleed should lie off the card. Have some free time today so am about half way through will upload the results. They fit perfectly on the template on the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome. The nice part is that, arguably, once you have it done for one card, you have it done for that whole suit. The character cards appear to be on the same background as the Cannons, so that's a bonus. I haven't done a whole lot of in depth checking to see if the background is shared between any other sets though.

I heard back, sort of, from the folks at Stardock to the effect of "Let me check with the team" with regard to sharing the deck images. Not a yes, but not a no, either. At least it means it'll get to someone sooner or later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
Awesome. The nice part is that, arguably, once you have it done for one card, you have it done for that whole suit. The character cards appear to be on the same background as the Cannons, so that's a bonus. I haven't done a whole lot of in depth checking to see if the background is shared between any other sets though.

I heard back, sort of, from the folks at Stardock to the effect of "Let me check with the team" with regard to sharing the deck images. Not a yes, but not a no, either. At least it means it'll get to someone sooner or later.

Unfortunately the chest cards background is quite a bit different tonally so quite a bit of manual work blending it in. Still I'm getting there I love little projects like this. If SD allow us to post them up I will put them here if not when I'm complete feel free to PM me. Gonna be a few days yet as a whole bunch of work has just come in but it shouldn't take too long to do. I'll try and get them done as nice as possible in the time I have. Happy to supply PSD (CS6) if anyone wants them as well. (One file with each card layered). Usually I'd use a mask but I'm doing them quick and dirty with the eraser tool.

Lets hope SD allows up to share, be good for people to get this game and print it easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.