Popular Tags: prices [+] [View All]
Greg
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all your thifters & traders out there, I just released a free app on the Google Play Store: Board Game Price Check - Free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codafella....

From the app's write up:

What's the Going Price for that Board Game? What's your Collection Worth?

Price any Game on the Secondhand Market!

Discover a game's:
- Trending price for the last one, two & three years
- Median price
- Mean price

Also see a game's:
- Designer
- Number of players
- Recommended number of players
- Ranking
- Weight (is the game a light or intense game)
- Play time
- Year published

Information & historical price data are provided by boardgamegeek.com.

Let me know what you think at codafella@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It looks handy! Downloading it now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
usnavi wrote:

Information & historical price data are provided by boardgamegeek.com.

I applaud you on your effort to create a handy app, however, bgg as a source for historical sale prices is not a reliable source for the last few years. Think of all the geeklist auctions these days...and how many times a buyer bought multiple items only for the seller to lump all purchases in a single item.

I once bought 4 items from a single buyer and he put the grand total under carcassonne, so it looks like carc sold for $60 but that was really 3 games -and- shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt horn
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
[quote]bgg as a source for historical sale prices is not a reliable source for the last few years.[quote]

I partially agree with your assessment, there is still a lot of information that is good, so it's a good way to get a ballpark. This Android app uses the same data as Spielboy.com, and I rarely get complaints about it not being useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spielboy wrote:
[quote]bgg as a source for historical sale prices is not a reliable source for the last few years.[quote]

I partially agree with your assessment, there is still a lot of information that is good, so it's a good way to get a ballpark. This Android app uses the same data as Spielboy.com, and I rarely get complaints about it not being useful.

True! One nice feature of Spielboy is you can see the comments associated with each marketplace data point. It helps to know what items are included in the sale. That'd be a nice additional feature for this app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TundraThunder wrote:
spielboy wrote:

True! One nice feature of Spielboy is you can see the comments associated with each marketplace data point. It helps to know what items are included in the sale. That'd be a nice additional feature for this app.

Yes, with the popularity of geeklists auctions, knowing the details of a sale is almost imperitive.

Of course, some users have started putting all their sales as one total under Miscellaneous Game and then an admin 'purchases' it, so BGG gets its fees. That all fine and good but now the BGG historical data isn't getting any new information - but that's a discussion for another thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, folks. The app's main focus is to provide an easy way to get a ballpark price for a game--a place to start negotiations.

I was aware of the issue of multiple games getting recorded as a single purchase so I added the ability to "Remove highest" from the data set. The bundled purchases are usually easy to spot in the graph. Removing a sale causes the trending, median & mean prices to recalculate.

The median is also less variant due to extreme values, so it's helpful when you have a few outliers.

Thanks again,

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt horn
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
By the way, what charting engine did you use, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using flot - a graphing package for javascript. It looked decent enough & integrates well with jQuery. There weren't too many gotchas with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - Just released a mobile site version of the Android app for all you iOS folks:

http://pricecheck.codafella.com

More info at:

http://bgg.cc/thread/1083900/board-game-price-check-now-avai...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.