Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
This Order of Battle is much better than the original one.
. . . The Union are weaker at first, the III, VI,& XII corps are stronger, the Confederate Inf.is stronger than '64, the ratio of Art. to Art. is just about right, and the 3rd Cav. Div. totals to 3 CF as it should. Also, some Cav. on both sides arrive too late to do much.
. . . The only change I would really want to make is -- some sources say Anderson arrived after Johnson, certainly not at the same time as Early.

The hex map and combat results system with '88 make it hard to define the front and flanks of the units and therefore give out flank attack bonuses. The '64 map used squares which made it easy to create straight lines of units facing in many directions and/or twisting to conform to the terrain and easily to define what is a flanking attack. What it did very poorly was to define the ZOC to make the cases where units face a row and diagonally very similar instead of quite dissimilar. I feel I have solved this ZOC problem. See below.

However, you can't just use the '64 rules (even with improved ZOC rules) on the '64 map with the '88 Order of Battle.

The '64 rules need several improvements too. After all the original rules were issued in '58 and only tweaked in '64. The 8 main problems are: the ZOC rule, roads must let units move faster, much faster than cross-country; woods/forests should slow units; Artillery needs more range and more strength when it is defending; the CRT needs to be basically totally redone; perhaps the leaders/HQ need a function(s); and finally there must be a better Victory Condition rule.

Over in the Gettysburg '58 & '64 page you can see my many thoughts on these improvements. Several "thumbs up votes" for this post will motivate me to post my thoughts here. If no one cares why should I bother?

My improved ZOC rule is --
1] Enemy units can never move over any corner of a unit's square, friendly units can.
2] Enemy units can never move from a square adjacent to a unit to another sq. adjacent
. . . . to that unit, unless it to or from the sq. right behind the unit.
3] Only when a unit is facing diagonally, enemy units can't move over the outside corner of each of the 2 side squares of its ZOC, unless it is moving to or from a sq. in that unit's ZOC. This widens this ZOC of all diagonally facing units just a little.
4] Whenever 2 units of the same side are in adjacent sq. diagonally, they block all enemy attacks, ZOC, & movement over the 1 corner that they share. Also friendly attacks, ZOC & movement are blocked. Their facing doesn't matter.
. . . Optionally and go with this as soon as you can – When YOU are attacking it is the defending units which determine if you can attack from the center sq. of his ZOC, often over a corner between 2 of your attacking stacks. [They do this by keeping their enemy from spreading out as the defender is if he is not jammed up against a unit on 1 or both sides.] If the defending unit is all alone, you can attack it from all 3 of its ZOC sq., if it has 1 neighboring* stack you can only attack with less** in the center ZOC sq., and if it has 2 neighboring stacks you can not attack from the center ZOC sq. at all. *= “neighboring” means adjacent to it and on a line with 45 deg angle at the most, facing doesn't matter. **= “less” means reduce the stacking to about half as much as normal. [I]This makes the numbers of attacking stacks that can attack a line about the same in the row case as the diagonal case.

BTW -- I think roads should carry units from the map edge to the site of the fighting very rapidly, but getting back on a road tactically does much less because of the time to form up and enemy fire. The Movement Allowances of this OB are much higher than the '64 game, therefore, clear terrain cost 2MF to enter, woods cost 3, forests cost 5inf. & 7cav., secondary roads cost 1, and main roads cost 1/2. After a unit is attacked, turns to face the enemy (deploys to defend), or moves off the road system, if it moves along a road again all road sqs. cost 1.
. . . Clear terrain costs more than 1 MF to enter because the flank attacks pretty much require that Infantry units move very slow cross-country to attack.
. . . The map only needs to be defined once then you are done. I used colored stick on small starts [different colored orange (low), burgundy, & red (highest) for hills & 2 shades of green for woods & forest] and will permanently mark the map later. You could use a magic marker to add a darker shade of green to mark the woods and forest sqs. and brown outline of the sq. to mark the hills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct to Gettysburg "64" on Boardgamegeek: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3099/gettysburg
New Counters at site: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1768356/gettysburg

Edit6/30/2015: Here's one, Civil War Board Game Re-enactors. No more molly-coddling with shiny colorful counters and map. Back to roughing it like it was in the old days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.