7 Posts

Dungeon Roll» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Daisydoodledice reviews Dungeon Roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Crusaders, enchantresses, knights, and goblins these are all heroes that will help you in your quest through the dungeon. Watch out though because there are goblins, skeletons, and oozes that you have to get through first. Wait I forgot to mention DRAGONS!!!

Mfg. Age: 8+

Our Age: 6+

Length: 15-30min.

Players: 1-4 recommend 1-2

I don’t normally do this but I want to start this out by telling you about the contents of the game. First off the box is a 6 inch treasure chest. I love the fact that it is small, but the top of the treasure chest is rounded so it is kind of tricky finding a spot on the shelf. But it is a TREASURE CHEST! so that can be forgiven.

Inside the chest you will find 7 black dice.These are your dungeon dice. The dungeon dice are the monsters or other things you have to defeat. On the dungeon dice are Goblins(green), Skeletons(gray), Oozes(purple), Treasure chests, Potions (yellow), and dragons(red).

Next you will find 7 white dice. These are your party dice or your companions that help you defeat the bad guys. The six sides of the party dice are Fighters (green swords), Cleric (grey), Mages (purple hats), Thief(masks), Champion(yellow)

There are also 8 hero cards. Players choose one hero that they want to be before the game begins. Each hero has a special ability that can be used at anytime and an ultimate ability that can only be used once per turn.

When you get 5 victory points then you can upgrade your hero.(flip the card over to see the upgrade.)

There are also 4 copies of a quick reference card. This shows you which companions defeat which monsters. I don’t have a very good memory and I struggle remembering things. It is SO frustrating. So I have had to find tricks to remember things. I thought I would share a trick with you on how to remember who defeats who.

On the left side of the card is the companions and along the top is the monsters. Each companion will defeat one monster of one kind or all the monsters of another.

For instance if you look at the card the swords(fighter) will defeat all the green faces(goblins) that you have rolled but it will only defeat one gray(skeleton), one purple(oozes) or open one treasure chest.

So here is the trick. Any green companion will defeat all the green monsters, the grey(cleric) will defeat all the skeletons(also grey) and so on. So all you have to remember is if the colors match then it will defeat all of them. The Yellow ones are champions and they will always defeat everything.

Oh I forgot. There is also a ten sided die that shows what level (or the points they can earn) they are on. Just as a side note: Most ten sided die have the numbers all mixed up. This one 1-5 is on one half and 6-10 is on the other. I really liked that.

Now that I have explained all the components I think it will be easy to explain how to play.

Only one person plays at a time. The first player rolls all the party(white) die. These are now the companions that you will use to defeat the monsters.

Another player turns the 10 sided die to 1 and rolls 1 dungeon (black) die. I am going to use the cleric to defeat the skeleton. Now my cleric is set aside and I cannot use that die again.

I am going to use the fighter to defeat the ooze and then the dragon goes into the dragon lair. When you get three or more dragons in the lair then you are forced to defeat the dragon. I will explain this in a little bit.

The next player rolls 2 black dice and moves the 10 sided die to 2. I used the fighter to defeat the ooze and now the fighter is set aside.

Now it moves on to three. They rolled 2 dragons and a chest. This means I now have to defeat the dragons. In order to defeat the dragons you have to have 3 different companions. I only have two…the thief and champion..the scroll doesn’t count because it is a special ability(it allows you to reroll any dice except the dragon) . So I could reroll one thief and one champion and try for something else that would help me defeat the dragon. The treasure chest is an optional die. I can use any die to open it and receive a treasure or I can choose to just dismiss it and move on.

The game continues until I chose to stop. But once I have started a level I have to complete it. If I don’t have enough monsters to defeat them then my turn would be over and I wouldn’t receive any points. But if I defeated all the monsters and chose to not continue I would receive the points for that current level. (ie., if I stopped at level 7 then I would receive 7 points.)

Wrap Up: A cool thing about this game is that you can play it by yourself. It is kind of hard to play with more that 2 players though because one person is just sitting there and since you don’t have to think about what you want to do on your next turn it can get kind of boring for that 3rd person.

The instructions for this game are not very clear and can be kind of confusing also the point tokens are 2 sided. Each with a different number so you have to be careful that they don’t get flipped over otherwise you don’t know how many points you have.

This is a fun game to play though and Liz’s boys love it. I know my four year old who is obsessed with monsters is begging me to play it with him. Unfortunately it is a little above his level but with help he can at least feel like he is “playing” it.

- See this same review with pictures at: http://daisydoodledice.com/2013/11/13/dungeon-roll/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
No way...one of my favorite 5th graders!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ninjabob wrote:
No way...one of my favorite 5th graders!

I appreciate your comment but I am actually confused by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I checked out your Game Blog link above and I believe you were in my 5th grade class...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ninjabob wrote:
Oh, I checked out your Game Blog link above and I believe you were in my 5th grade class...

Jessica or Elizabeth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessica...her name was at the bottom of the review...I'm guessing you must be Elizabeth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ninjabob wrote:
Jessica...her name was at the bottom of the review...I'm guessing you must be Elizabeth

You guessed correctly (I'm running the bgg side for both of us).

She says hello and told me that you were the coolest teacher she ever had!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.