Subject: Only 3 players...Is it any good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Unfortunately, I can only get two other gamers to my table regularly...is this game any good with just three?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is my favorite game. I can't imagine ever turning down a game of CE with 5-8 players.

I will not play it with fewer than 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
No, and here's why.

Alliances lose so much when there's only one potential ally. It's akin to playing an auction game with only 2. Does the game function with 3? Technically yes, but at 3 you're missing out on the depth of experience. Not terrible as a learning game or something else, but not great as a regular play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, it's fun with 3. It's not ideal. But a fun knife fight in a phone booth. Quicker and lighter perhaps. The alien powers and hand management are still interesting, alliances are not 100% of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3 is still great fun. The more the merrier, but if 3 is what you have, you can still have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have fun playing it 3-player with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Four to six is best, with five being the sweet spot. BUT, I've played with three on a few occasions and had a perfectly fun time. Definitely give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love cosmic. But there are so many games I'd rather play if I have three player it's not even worth it. Try listening to the dice tower #327, there is a "top 10 games for 3 players" in the end. If you don't have time to listen you can check it on the website dicetower.com .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I think with 3 the choice of alien powers will be really important. Some powers rely on alliances in a major way, and they'll be less useful and/or fun in a smaller game. On the other hand, other powers (Virus comes to mind) which works well alone would be buffed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a lot of great games with only 3 players, but as mentioned above, 4-6 is probably where it's best .... however, on the off chance that you have a game night and end up with more than 3 players, you'll be glad you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only good for learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni L
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
I disagree, it's fun with 3. It's not ideal. But a fun knife fight in a phone booth. Quicker and lighter perhaps. The alien powers and hand management are still interesting, alliances are not 100% of the game.

This.

If you're long time players, be sure to include all optional rules - techs and hazards also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Not as rich and complex with three because of the lack of potential allies.

But a three player game of Cosmic is better than no game of Cosmic!

You might try to spice it up a bit by using two alien powers each. Deal out four or five and choose two each. Adds to the fun.

Or you could set up a game for six players and each person plays two spots. And each spot has two powers! Woo hoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Verbiest
Belgium
Kaprijke
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I like to play this game 5 (ideal imo), mostly we're only 3 or 4. We play a lot with 3 actually and it's still great, but some aliens have a significant advantage or disadvantage when playing with fewer people. I think 4 is very ok as well, most of my logged games are with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am obviously just quirky. I think CE is actually best with three. Its zippy and does not drag, whereas it does seem to with lets say five or more. Since alliances are essentially always opportunistic and short-term in CE I don't see how they are more prevalent or important with more than 3 players. They form and then quickly dissolve for exactly the same reason as with more players. In a 3 player game nobody with any self-respect is going to settle for a shared win. The destiny deck means that you can't choose your target, so ganging up long-term two against one does not really happen - making it an ideal 3 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's not BAD with 3, but I think it works better with more. Alliances are much more dynamic in multi player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.