Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about about 10 games of Daybreak now, and still haven't seen the rebel basestar in action.

Does anyone have any suggestions to ensure that the game is balanced and the rebel basestar gets played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about balancing, but the rebel basestar can be amazing if you actually get it in play. The Hybrid Tank saved humans from sure defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any variants, and I don't think the presence of the Rebel Basestar should be "ensured". I suppose you could try something in a non-Earth game, though. Maybe, at 8 distance, you have a %50 chance of having to do the Cylon Civil War mission, or something like that.

In an Earth game, if you want to "ensure" it, just hit Tactical Plot until you find it. It's worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it in play either at the start, or at some halfway point.

Then make it so that it's open to both sides when it's out.

You should get it out eventually if you force it. I can still recall all of those times I explained how NC and distance 8 with the IN work, only for the game to end way before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
Battersea
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resolve the mission at sleeper before the new loyalties are dealt out?

Or just put it into play at sleeper and allow both sides to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We found the same problem with the Rebel Basestar:

1. It almost never enters play.

2. When it enters play it joins the Humans or Cylons for the duration of the game. Yet, in the series the Rebel Cylons had quite some discussion: should they join the Humans, their fellow Cylons, or find their own path.

We came up a variant, which has only been tested once. Perhaps you could experiment a bit more..

We introduced trust as an extra resource.
Depending on the level of trust, either the Humans, The Cylons or no side may use the Rebel Basestar (RB)

TRUST RESOURCE
Trust 10: Humans may activate locations on the RB by discarding 10 skill cards. (And when playing with Cylon Leaders; they may hold title cards)

Trust 7 / 8 / 9 : Humans may activate RB by expending their miracle token.

Trust 5 / 6 : The RB cannot be used by either side.

Trust 4 / 3 / 2: Cylons may activate RB by discarding a Super Crisis.

Trust 1: Cylons may activate RB by discarding 4 skill cards.

Trust 0: The Rebel Basestar leaves the game.
(Cylon players have to walk a fine line here if they want to use the RB, instead of just bringen down the trust resource as far as possible)

TRUST TOKENS
To symbolize “Trust” we use the benevolent / antagonistic tokens.
(Remove the trauma tokens or change the execution effect)

The game starts with 10 facedown tokens: 5 benevolent + 5 antagonistic.

No revealed Cylons in the game
If you Pass a crisis: the current player draws 2 tokens from the token pool and places 1 facedown in de trust pool. If you Fail: the current player draws 2 tokens from the trust pool and places 1 back in the token pool.

With a revealed Cylon in the game
If a revealed Cylon participated in the skill check: Pass: the current player draws 2 tokens from the token pool and places 1 facedown in de trust pool. Fail: the Cylon draws 2 tokens from the trust pool and places 1 OR 2 back in the token pool.

1. After every jump, the trust pool is placed face up.

2. Now only count the benevolent symbols.

3. The amount of benevolent tokens = trust level untill the next jump.

4. Place the tokens facedown again and shuffle them.

If the trust level is 5 or 6: neither side can use the RB. Characters on the RB are then moved to the Hangerdeck / Resurrection Ship. We have our doubt about the placement on Resurrection Ship, because a Cylon could then draw another Super Crisis. An alternative might be the Cylon Fleet location.

Our experience after the first test:
- It adds a small new way for unrevealed Cylons to mess with the Humans.
- It didn't take too much extra time.
- We need to experiment more; we already changed the number of starting tokens.

Let me know what you think! Or if you've tested this variant: what happened?

Cheerz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
I've played about about 10 games of Daybreak now, and still haven't seen the rebel basestar in action.

Does anyone have any suggestions to ensure that the game is balanced and the rebel basestar gets played?

Might be a bit too big of a change, but you could set aside the rebel basestar mission from all the others, and it is face up at the side of the game board.
Anytime a player draws a mission, they look at it secretly. They can then either play it faceup and the crew plays the skillcheck on that mission, or they can keep the mission hidden and place it at the bottom of the mission deck, and then choose to play the rebel basestar mission instead.
This can only be done once, obviously. After that all missions play normally and players have no choice to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of games where we all agreed to put the rebel basestar on top of the missions. We saw it get into play once. A post-sleeper cylon used it to hunt through all the yellows, find the 6, and airlock a human.

It was fun. But I don't especially need to see it in action again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheza Moonmaiden
Germany
flag msg tools
I suggest you use a variant of the 'sympathizer' role here.

If the resources are too good at the sleeper phase, the rebel basestar enters for the cylons... if the resources are too low already, the rebellic cylons join the human side instead.

We once tried out a different way but that doesn't ensure the rebel basestar:

Whenever the fleet jumps, the top card of the mission deck is turned faceup.

Bridge:
Attempt the faceup mission. If you win, remove that card. Otherwise put it on the bottom of the deck.

Tactical Plot:
If there is a faceup mission card, shuffle that deck and reveal the top mission card again.

Captain's Cabin:
Each player draws one skill card.

Additional note:
Players can still use skill check abilities on mission cards (like on supercrisis).

We only tried it once, so it definitely requires more testing.
In this way, the missions will never be attempted randomly (without knowing what will be the mission). This made it more likely that a mission was actually started (rather than searching for a specific one => would now require a lucky shuffling).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your thinking there, Cheza. I assume you would take the Cylon Civil War mission out of the deck? I do like knowing what the mission is beforehand, and that the Captain's Cabin doesn't automatically unleash green for everybody. Shuffling the deck doesn't make Tactical Plot very tactical, but I think this system is a little better than what the Demetrius has right now.

I like the no skill check anything on missions, though it's crazy-unintuitive. Every mission we do has a whole host of Iron Wills and Quick Thinkings because somebody forgets that, even though I remind them every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander DeSouza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I wanted to include the Rebel Basestar just so that additional game components weren't left to sit in the box during play.

What I thought to do (in Base + Daybreak only games, though I suppose this would work with any combination of Base + Expansion(s)) is to have the Rebel Basestar out from the start of the game with it's default allegiance being Cylon. For most (and possibly the entire game) the Rebel Basestar acts like any other Cylon locations that only revealed Cylons or a Cylon Leader can use, much like the Basestar Bridge location of Exodus' CFB.

Then, only when the Cylon Civil War Mission Card comes up do the humans (and/or a sympathetic Cylon Leader) have a chance to sway it out of the Cylons' control.

We have yet to test this idea, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Cylon Leader gets to command the rebel basestar and decide whether or not they want to share it with anybody else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.