Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't own Power Up but the answer to this question will weigh heavily into my purchase of it.

The #1 complaint I hear about this expansion is that it increases randomness and you may get a weaker card while someone else gets a killer draw.

I assume that though the cards and text are flavored for each various monster, that the power ups are still equal in strength across each monster.

To mitigate the chances of someone getting a stronger 1st card than someone else, has anyone tried ranking the cards for each monster so that everyone is working their way through the deck to the strong cards.

Let me know if this has been done, or even can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
Bhobs wrote:
I don't own Power Up but the answer to this question will weigh heavily into my purchase of it.

The #1 complaint I hear about this expansion is that it increases randomness and you may get a weaker card while someone else gets a killer draw.

I assume that though the cards and text are flavored for each various monster, that the power ups are still equal in strength across each monster.

To mitigate the chances of someone getting a stronger 1st card than someone else, has anyone tried ranking the cards for each monster so that everyone is working their way through the deck to the strong cards.

My group plays the rule that, when rolling 3 Hearts and gaining an Evolution, you are able to draw 2 cards and pick one of them, placing the card you didn't choose to the bottom of the Evolution Deck. This is a nice fix that adds more strategy, minimizes a tiny bit of the randomness as well as the problem you speak of, and is easy to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sojasonk wrote:
Bhobs wrote:

My group plays the rule that, when rolling 3 Hearts and gaining an Evolution, you are able to draw 2 cards and pick one of them, placing the card you didn't choose to the bottom of the Evolution Deck. This is a nice fix that adds more strategy, minimizes a tiny bit of the randomness as well as the problem you speak of, and is easy to implement.

Yeah that method seems to be the consensus on BGG, but is it possible to rank them based on power. I mean is there a clear worst card and a clear best card in each deck?

Also does having evolutions mean that the special cards become less valuable / less used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
Bhobs wrote:
sojasonk wrote:
Bhobs wrote:

Yeah that method seems to be the consensus on BGG, but is it possible to rank them based on power. I mean is there a clear worst card and a clear best card in each deck?

Also does having evolutions mean that the special cards become less valuable / less used?

Short answer: No, not really.

If people were to rank them, it would be very subjective and dependent on play style.

Maybe a Keeper Evolution is more valuable than a Temporary Evolution to most people? (Though there have been times where I would choose Detachable Tail/Decoy Bunny vs a Keeper card if I had the choice)

Overall, I do think each deck has an Evolution or two where you go "I want that!" But not to the point where you need to add some extra preparation or separation before the game starts.

As far as the Evolution, I've noticed my group tends to go for Evolutions, but only when you see an opening (like a initial roll with 2 Hearts already face up.)

There's just too much to gain from rolling Hearts when you combine the Evolution and Healing (out of Tokyo)

It doesn't take it to a point where it messes up the balance, however. There are still players that hoard and store energy and go for Power cards, those that go all out with attack, and those that try for Victory Points. Still a great balance from what I've experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
If they are always in the same order then they are predictable and games risk being more similar every time (as much as they can be)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The usefulness of each Evolution card is highly situational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Makes sense to me now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.