Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
--The Original game calls for x4 US Infantry (3-3-3) units + x2 US Infantry units when using Optional Rule B, but there are only x5 US Infantry units in the countermix.

Should there be x5 or x6 US Inf in the game?

--Also, the countersheet color copy on the back of the Eastern Offensive booklet shows the US Armor unit as a 2-2-4, but the counter itself is a 2-3-4.

Which one is the correct value?

--Also, the ARVN Marine counter is a 1-2-3 (same as ARVN Inf) but the color copy shows the unit as a 2-2-1.

Which value is the correct one?

Thanks in advance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

The counters are correct. There was a late request by the original designer to include a copy of the counter sheet in the rules for reference and I believe an earlier manifest was inadvertently copied, probably my mistake.

In the original game, there were not unit designations on the counters nor marines, armor and other special ground units. There were just generic Grunts. In the Special Edition, all US/ARVN units have divisional designations. For the original rules if using the option for 6 US Grunts, use the 5 US infantry counters and 1 of the US Marines, or if you prefer, one of the ROK infantry units.

As to the US Armor unit. The original designer pointed out that as a 2-2-4 strength, the armor unit was not an attractive purchase. Accordingly, we increased the combat value slightly to 2-3-4.

The ARVN Marine unit should be as indicated on the counter. Originally, it was going to be stronger but two points argued for it only to have the strength of a regular ARVN infantry unit. First, per some of the comments to the original game, the ARVN infantry strengths were increased from 1-2-2 to 1-2-3, to reflect better fighting in urban areas and for some better game balance as the original game is tough to win. This plus the fact that although some considered the ARVN marine unit to be elite and some of its subunits probably were when used in battalion and penny packet strength, that in its divisional form toward the end of the war, it really was not that much different than the infantry units. At least that was our subjective thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnie wrote:

The counters are correct.
Excellent news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Steve - glad it's the counters that are correct.

It appears that an extra ARVN Inf 1-2-3 printed instead of a US Inf 3-3-3, but as you say it's just as easy to substitute another counter.

Pumping up the ARVN Inf to a 3 in Urban areas was a good call I think as it opens up some tactical decisions, depending on terrain.

I'm having fun with the game so far, there's more to explore here than I imagined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Kitchings
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am enjoying the game as well, but a couple of questions:

1. I have a 7th Fleet counter, but find no reference to it in the rules. I am probably just missing the reference, can you point me to it or advise what use to make of the counter?

2. The Hanoi and Haiphong areas both "feed" into the Hue region. With 2 trail counters in each box, 4 units, per turn, are feeding into the Hue area. Is that correct? If so, it seems that there will never be a way to clear that area, and for the US\ARVN to have any hope of winning, the player must just give up on that area and try to secure 3 out of the remaining 4. What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry,

The 7th Fleet counter goes with the Easter Offensive Scenario only. It is on a separate game sheet with the game.

While there are two "feeder" Trail Areas into the Hue Region and that was intentional, those Trail Areas have to be rolled to gain Trail Counters (meaning a roll of 1 or 2) and they are subject to B 52 attacks to reduce the Trail Counters. So, while they can load up to 4 Trail Counters total (only 2 total in the Original Rules without the optional rule for more) that should not happen for some time unless there are incredibly lucky rolls and no B 52 offensive. Yes, it is likely inevitable, especially as PP points become scarce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Kitchings
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rapid response, Steve! Again, I am really enjoying the game, and love the counter art work and thickness.In my game, the two trail counters (in both the Hanoi and Haiphong spaces) appeared quite quickly, and for the first 2-3 turns, you can't attack with B-52's, nor can the Green Berets. Since then, the special events rolls have been especially unkind, as the B-52's have been grounded presumably due to political pressure at home. In fact, I am on turn 7, and the US\ARVN forces have only controlled 3 regions 1 time for VP purposes. Things do not look good for the US\ARVN !

On another note, I am impressed how quickly White Dog got the game to me. I had it in the mail a mere 2 days after ordering it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Kitchings
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve: Thank you again for your prior response.

I completed my first game, and, as a result, have one more question for you. The US\ARVN side got a marginal victory, because ALL the NVA troops wound up in Region 1, after the Hanoi and Haiphong areas funneled 4 troops per turn into the region.I was never able to bomb those trail markers due to my event rolls, and I was disincented from putting troops in the area, because the NVA presence was overwhelming. I literally ran out of NVA troops on Turn 7 or so (they all were placed in the 1 region)- the US player left them alone, and secured the other 4 regions, destroying VC units when they spawned. They thus had control of 3+ regions for 9 turns, as it turned out.

I know this is not how the game is supposed to be played or progress. Hence, my question: The original game rules says to only places one trail marker in Hanoi and one in Haiphong to start the game. The Special Edition requires 2 trail markers in each those regions at start.As the game begins in 1963, it seems historical to only place one trail marker in each area (Hanoi and Haiphong), as the "road south" had not been as fully developed as it was later in the war. Moreover, if I recall my history coorrectly, the NVA did not start sending big units south until around 1965-66. So, if I make this seemingly minor adjustment to the at start set up, am I somehow damaging the designed and play-tested balance of the game?

Thanks, in advance, for your response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.