Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do enemies engaging during combat attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm in combat phase and have dealt shadow cards to engaged enemies. When one attacks, it triggers a new enemy from the staging area to engage me. Does that enemy also get to attack me? If so, does it get a shadow card dealt to it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he gets a shadow card and attacks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

I'm in combat phase and have dealt shadow cards to engaged enemies. When one attacks, it triggers a new enemy from the staging area to engage me. Does that enemy also get to attack me? If so, does it get a shadow card dealt to it?


What does the card that summons the new enemy say? Strictly looking at the rules, the enemy would get to attack -- since you are in the step of the Attack phase where enemies take turns to attack -- but it won't get a shadow card, since shadow cards are dealt at a previous step of the Attack phase which has already passed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ says

(1.42) Additional attacks by an enemy
When an enemy makes an additional attack, discard all
of its previously dealt shadow cards before dealing it a
new shadow card.


Additionally, the FAQ specifies that enemies attacking outside the combat phase get shadow cards for their attacks as well.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
The FAQ says

(1.42) Additional attacks by an enemy
When an enemy makes an additional attack, discard all
of its previously dealt shadow cards before dealing it a
new shadow card.


Additionally, the FAQ specifies that enemies attacking outside the combat phase get shadow cards for their attacks as well.




Thanks for pointing this out, I haven't looked at the FAQ in detail. Strictly speaking, this doesn't cover the situation at hand, since this isn't an additional attack and it is the Combat phase. I suppose one could argue that in the spirit of this FAQ entry the enemy should get a Shadow card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it is so that anytime an enemy engage with a player, the enemy card get a shadow card and attack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

joakim589 wrote:
Maybe it is so that anytime an enemy engage with a player, the enemy card get a shadow card and attack?

Just engaging isn't enough to get a shadow card. It appears they only get one if it's during the combat phase, and if it's still during the enemy attack step.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

joakim589 wrote:
Maybe it is so that anytime an enemy engage with a player, the enemy card get a shadow card and attack?

Just engaging isn't enough to get a shadow card. It appears they only get one if it's during the combat phase, and if it's still during the enemy attack step.


I hope it is like that, because it sounds good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I go with any time an enemy attacks, it gets a shadow card unless an effect specifically says not to deal one for that attack. The only other exception is if the encounter deck is empty outside of the questing phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and enemies only attacks in attack phase or extra attacks from card effects.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
skybreak wrote:
I go with any time an enemy attacks, it gets a shadow card unless an effect specifically says not to deal one for that attack. The only other exception is if the encounter deck is empty outside of the questing phase.


I understand that even enemies which are snared (i.e., Forest Snare) also get a Shadow card.

It's also worth noting that Shadow cards are dealt from highest to lowest threat. This can actually matter when one has the deck scried, Banks of the Anduin and enemies such as Wargs are in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that's right.

It was a long time ago I had Forest snare in my deck. So I don't remember. But it sounds right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

skybreak wrote:
I go with any time an enemy attacks, it gets a shadow card unless an effect specifically says not to deal one for that attack. The only other exception is if the encounter deck is empty outside of the questing phase.

Also true. I was only talking about when an enemy engages you during the combat phase. Otherwise, at the start of combat, all engaged enemies get one, whether they can attack or not.

As for dealing them, it's done in player order, and then per player, from highest to lowest threat. (I play two-handed, so it comes up all the time.)



Side note: It's worth noting (which I recently confirmed on a different forum) that you can affect shadow cards (canceling or discarding them) even if the enemy is immune to player cards. I realize that's a different topic, but for some reason, I felt compelled to share.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
JYoder wrote:
As for dealing them, it's done in player order, and then per player, from highest to lowest threat. (I play two-handed, so it comes up all the time.)


Very good point! I almost always single handed, but as it turns out will be playing HfG with a friend this evening.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
you can affect shadow cards (canceling or discarding them) even if the enemy is immune to player cards.


Can come in handy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.