Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few ideas on an upcoming Royal Guards list. I love interceptors and wonder if a 4 squad would work well. Here are my thoughts:

1. 4X Royal Guard (22) - Vet Instincts (1) - Targeting Computer (2)

2. 4X Royal Guard (22) - PTL (3)

3. 4X Royal Guard (22) - Engine Upgrade (3)

The first could be interesting to fly four ships at PS8 with the option to hit really hard with TL. Second option is obviously fun and powerful and still PS6. Third is more defensive.

Thoughts? Further explorations that include the new Interceptors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean stealth device? Not sure how good an Engine upgrade will be on an INT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that Targeting Computer is worth it without PTL. I think that we are expected to do something like

Royal Guard + Title + PTL + Targeting Computer + Stealth Device

to create something that hits hard without being hit itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
I'm not sure that Targeting Computer is worth it without PTL. I think that we are expected to do something like

Royal Guard + Title + PTL + Targeting Computer + Stealth Device

to create something that hits hard without being hit itself.

At that point, you're approaching the cost of Soontir Fel + PtL. Is this Royal Guard better?

I like 4x Guards with PtL. It combines Sabre + Vet Instinct with Sabre + PtL - both of which were already pretty awesome.

P.S. Consider Soontir Fel + PtL + Targeting Computer = Focus + TL + Evade (or another Focus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Soontir with PTL and TL would be great, but there can only be one of him. And I'd want to put a Stealth Device on him.

My main point was that TL is probably a waste of points if you don't have PTL. If there is only one action, you might as well focus. If you don't have TL, then you could have a shuttle that gives you TLs. (You've got to guard something, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree that Target Lock is going to be wasted points on most TIE fighters if they don't have two actions to also get a focus. Without some kind of defensive buff, the action you spend on TL will probably just get you shot down as I usually find 3 green dice is not enough defense. However, Night Beast seems like the best combo bet since he can get that Focus for free while he does a green maneuver and picks up Target Lock.

--

Also, Soontir with two-modification title actually becomes very interesting if you give him Shield Upgrade & Hull Upgrade instead of Stealth + Target Lock.

I tried playing him this way with proxy cards and it really makes him a bigger threat. He doesn't just die when he makes that one bad defense roll, since he can get Focus + Focus + Evade anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is that the upgrades are correctly-costed, but Interceptors cost too much for their hull, in general.

Royal (22) + Title + Hull Upgrade (3) + Stealth (3) = 30 (Leaving off the elite talent for now)

Or swap stealth for a shield and for 31 points you are really similar to an X-Wing with Boost.

Fel + PTL + Stealth + Hull
Royal + PTL + Stealth + Hull
Royal + PTL +Stealth + Hull
100 points

Or take Carnor Jax and upgrade the hull to a shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessFable wrote:
My problem is that the upgrades are correctly-costed, but Interceptors cost too much for their hull, in general.

Royal (22) + Title + Hull Upgrade (3) + Stealth (3) = 30 (Leaving off the elite talent for now)

Or swap stealth for a shield and for 31 points you are really similar to an X-Wing with Boost.

... barrel roll, evade and an extra defence die. But no TL (2 points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm trying really really hard to figure out why I'd take a Squint list when X-Wings are more efficient for the points.

They are glass cannons but not enough cannon to balance out the glass. Hence the exercise in trying to beef them up with two survival upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
RecklessFable wrote:
Yeah, I'm trying really really hard to figure out why I'd take a Squint list when X-Wings are more efficient for the points.

They are glass cannons but not enough cannon to balance out the glass. Hence the exercise in trying to beef them up with two survival upgrades.

I like it when an Int costs 30+ points. Makes the rookie pilot look awesome by comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
How I feel every time I run interceptors and I see a guy unloading his YT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.