Popular Tags: [View All]
willial butler
United States
patterson
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
while browsing through some sites for miniatures i found this site http://www.erichotz.com/felt.html the hex arrangement, number of rows, and hexes in each row is very close to those for the gameboard. they should be useful for those who would like to use miniatures in place of the blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those mats are very nice with the ink sublimated into the felt. Just be warned that the hexes are 5 inches flat to flat. Eric Hotz has stated that he might get into other sizes in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the size-- let's see, 6feet by 4 feet. That's 9 1/2 hexes deep and 14 1/2 long.

And the C&C map is... 9.5 hexes deep and 13 hexes long.

Wow-- if someone had bet me there were that "few" hexes on the map they probably could have taken my money with ease.

So, even "as is," they are just the right size for matching our battles, though what sort of minies you'll want for a 5 inch hex is a good question-- even 1/72nd might look a little lost in there.

But wasn't the site itself interesting? I've never had a powerful desire to game naval actions of the day, but I might want some of that stuff just for display (my wife loves things Roman). This certainly would be an awesome demo kit for the game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad that users on this provide a never ending stream of games and accessories to spend my modest disposable income on.....

Ok, there goes part of the first tax refund I've gotten in a decade....two mats. Looks like I'll get two mats, 1 sea and 1 of the land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chessex has started making 2" hex mats. I'm not sure how many hexes are on each of their mats.

http://www.chessex.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those looks very nice, too bad they are not smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
willial butler
United States
patterson
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kduke wrote:

So, even "as is," they are just the right size for matching our battles, though what sort of minies you'll want for a 5 inch hex is a good question-- even 1/72nd might look a little lost in there.

i do a lot of miniature gaming. most of my figures are heroics and ros 1:300 scale. for ancients they are mounted on 40mm bases. the 5 inch (127mm) hexes are a little large for those bases, but are large enough to hold the 60mm bases used by miniature gamers using 25mm figures. for the 40mm bases infantry would have to be in a 2x2 arrangement, the 3 bases for cavalry could be formed in a single line, as would the 2 bases for elephants and chariots. http://www.thewargamer.com/ccancients/gallery.html#howtoplay has some pictures of a game using 25mm figures on 60mm bases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hotz
Canada
Maple Ridge
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Those looks very nice, too bad they are not smaller."

Hotz ArtWorks will soon be offering more hex sizes... smaller hexes are on the way.

You would be surprised by the number of games that can use large (5 inch) hexes. Most WWII air combat games played at our club use 5 inch hexes and these are 1/300th scale games. I am putting together a WWI land combat game, at company level, that requires 5 inch hexes (this is actually the perfect size if you are converting the boardgame, Land Ship to a tabletop game. I plan to do this in 10mm scale.

I play WWII air combat in 1/144th scale. Most players feel 5 inch hexes are too small for 1/144th scale. Don't forget, most WWII air combat actions involve bombers!

If you haven't seen my WWII Air Combat game before, check out:
http://www.erichotz.com/mat_gallery_euro.html

E.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another solution is to order the Hotz ArtWorks felt game mats without the printed hexes and mark them yourself. I have purchased the beautiful European fields mat, and I intend to mark hex centers with a small painted dot. I think it will be obvious on which hex the minis sit. With different colored dots, it should be possible to have two different hex sizes on one mat. You also can mark corners with the 3 pointed stars.

Thanks, Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Perks
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So lets say I go with a nice mat... what sort of miniature figures should I be looking at where could I get them?

I've never bought miniatures before, and my local game shop only carries fantasy-style figures.

Any pointers to figures suitable for Ancients?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Perks
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minatures question... I have now found the dozens of miniature threads on page 2 and beyond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.