The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was a lot of fun until this scenario......talk a out some unbalanced BS.....did they even bother play testing this? I have tried several times, but this is an unwinable scenario. Complete and utter crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
This game was a lot of fun until this scenario......talk a out some unbalanced BS.....did they even bother play testing this? I have tried several times, but this is an unwinable scenario. Complete and utter crap.

I thought it was fun, especially the new way henchmen worked there. I've only played it once 3-player though. If you find if unwinnable (like locations you can never close), the rules already suggest you replace them. What exactly did you have trouble with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with Harsk solo, no problems. Why do you think he is screwed?

Someone else, on the Paizo forums I believe, was interpreting the scenario instructions as requiring you to add 1d6 Haunts to each character. I hope you are not doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure they are on record saying while it can be played with a single character it was not designed (or balanced) for it.

Like its parent RPG scenarios have different challenges that can be hard for certain characters to completely cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm willing to bet he was rolling the d6 and adding that number of haunts every time. I honestly don't understand why so many people are making that mistake. The instructions on the card are quite clear. Besides...HOW could you add that many haunts?? There aren't nearly enough in the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
I'm pretty sure they are on record saying while it can be played with a single character it was not designed (or balanced) for it.

Like its parent RPG scenarios have different challenges that can be hard for certain characters to completely cover.

Actually, they've stated that every character successfully went through the entire Adventure Path solo. So, yes, things can be hard at times, but no scenario should be completely impossible to win eventually (note: getting bad random cards, especially traps a character can't pass has nothing to do with a scenario being balanced or not).

Clearly, the OP is playing the scenario wrong which I agree I have no idea how people are misreading that card. BotG's was poorly worded, but Foul Misgivings clearly was not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not misreading the card...only adding haunt total to die roll.....constantly facing the haunt spawned hence-ghost and getting entire hand reset.....nothing I can do to combat her without this happening.....F this scenario, unbalanced and cheap as hell....going to skip the f'n thing.....BS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
Not misreading the card...only adding haunt total to die roll.....constantly facing the haunt spawned hence-ghost and getting entire hand reset.....nothing I can do to combat her without this happening.....F this scenario, unbalanced and cheap as hell....going to skip the f'n thing.....BS

In a solo game there are only two haunts. The first time you encounter a haunt you have a 50% chance of Iesha showing up. The second time it's 67%. After that you don't have to worry about her anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Harsk has at least one armor card you can bury to avoid a hand reset.
On average you should only encounter Iesha once playing solo.
And you can always use Harsk's scouting ability to try and find the villain multiple times, possibly closing locations without encountering the Haunt there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the way I read the cards (and the way we just played with Seoni/Harsk), you encounter the Haunt and immediately attempt to close the location, then do the roll for summoning Iesha... My Harsk got lucky and with 3 haunts out he rolled 1... phew!

We beat it with about 3 cards in each draw pile, and 3 in the blessings...but got lucky with the Villain on top of the Warrens...but we also goofed and added an extra location (Prison) for some reason... we'll take the win, I think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
And you can always use Harsk's scouting ability to try and find the villain multiple times, possibly closing locations without encountering the Haunt there.

To 2nd that, you're playing solo meaning 30 cards in 30 turns meaning that unless you get a Haunt on the very first turn, you should be able to avoid EVER facing a Haunt or just 1 (if the villain ended up underneath the Haunt) by using Harsk's power.

To the OP, I mean it is your game so if you want to be totally obstinate about it, fine, but there's no reason why you should be getting whipped by a totally avoidable, totally unnecessary-to-defeat-to-win monster. Now, if you had 4 d4 Charisma characters running around, then you would have a right to complain because things would be way out of balance, but guess what? Paizo wasn't that stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
medwards wrote:

To 2nd that, you're playing solo meaning 30 cards in 30 turns meaning that unless you get a Haunt on the very first turn, you should be able to avoid EVER facing a Haunt or just 1 (if the villain ended up underneath the Haunt) by using Harsk's power.

Eeeh, no. Harsk can only scout at the end of his turn, so when moving to a new location he doesn't have that option (unless he doesn't explore, but then he can avoid the very first one as well). Skip two turns to avoid -2 on every check? Might be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can use Holy Water and Caltrops to evade Iesha altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.