BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Gaming etiquette and table talk! Recommendations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Fletcher

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
I have a question that consistently gets brought up during gaming sessions. How much talk should be allowed during gaming sessions in regard to strategy or suggesting strategy to people with whom you have forged alliances with during a game? What constitutes over assisting a novice player? How much competitive talk is too much?!

HOW HAS NO ONE EVER CREATE A BOOK/WEB COMIC ON THIS?!?! OR HAVE THEY?! AAAAHH! Wait, why am I yelling... Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letting someone know all their options is usually okay, but flat out saying "you should do this" is too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these are entirely personal decisions which tend to be shaped by the group of people you are playing with - the more you play with the same people, the clearer and more well-defined those understandings will be.

Consequently, there's no right answer.

But don't help that guy. He's a dick. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group, frequent table talk is the norm. Sometimes only half the game takes place on the board. I understand that this isn't ideal for every group, but we're a pretty tight group of friends - the psychological element, and the subtle/not-so-subtle manipulation is fundamental. As such, I don't have a problem with it at all, but as a group you have to decide what everyone is comfortable with and stick to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fletcher

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
Hahaha, this seems to always be the case.. No one has a problem with it until it start working against their favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really don't think you can make any generalisations about this. It seems to vary wildly from group to group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is that many game designers theses days are building the interaction into the rules. Some games are explicitly encouraged to be free-for-alls, while others, especially games with co-op elements, are designed with what I'll call anti-Alpha rules. That is, rules designed to allow less outspoken people make their game decisions without interference from overbearing personalities.

Apart from that, the options are to either set rules for the game group yourselves, or simply gravitate to players you can get along with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing something like Risk, and a novice player has teamed up with an advanced player, it is bound to get hairy for people not in that alliance. There seems to be something unfair when instead of playing against 2 people, you are playing against 1 player directly and through proxy. I don't like those situations.

I think there are two things you should do:

1) Ask the novice player if they feel they are not getting a chance to make moves they want to make (i.e. do they feel like a slave to the advanced player).

2) If the novice player says they do feel like a slave (or something like that) then it is important to make it known to the advanced player that they are ruining gameplay not only for you, but for their ally. If the novice player genuinely has no problem being told what to do, then you need to lower your expectations and realize that the game you are playing is not going to be fair and you should not feel overly competitive--after all, you don't have two colours that you can control!

In closing, games are supposed to be fun, whether intellectually or viscerally, and that should be the goal. It is sometimes hopeless to change others in your game group, but you can change your expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it cheating to encourage your kids to gang up on their mother's monster in King of Tokyo? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Thomson
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I love about board games is the opportunity to use table talk to your advantage. You are playing the other people, not just the game, and that is what makes most games interesting. Of course this also depends on the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No talking allowed at the game table, that's why I only play with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Genghis_Khan wrote:
I have a question that consistently gets brought up during gaming sessions. How much talk should be allowed during gaming sessions in regard to strategy or suggesting strategy to people with whom you have forged alliances with during a game? What constitutes over assisting a novice player? How much competitive talk is too much?!

Most games which actually allow for alliances tend to specify
when and where it is acceptable to negotiate.

For games which do not, generally the 'time allowed to think' more
or less includes such discussion. If that's unlimited, people can
proffer advice, so long as it is open. I'd say the person whose turn
it is has the right to curtail discussion however. But this kind of
thing is always more of a group agreed protocol.

For games which do NOT specifically allow for such alliances, there's
a whole question whether any table talk is applicable. My feeling is
that it is more effort than it's worth to try and define what coughs
and groans constitute table talk - so either a time-limit or no limit
at all.

Vacabck wrote:
No talking allowed at the game table....

Yeah - this is pretty much the only viable option. No breathing,
sighing, or making other noises either. Every such action can be
utilized to help sway people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end, all games exist only to serve the metagame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis_Khan wrote:
HOW HAS NO ONE EVER CREATE A BOOK/WEB COMIC ON THIS?!?! OR HAVE THEY?! AAAAHH! Wait, why am I yelling... Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

They "kinda" have? Knights of the Dinner Table, more RPG related but you definitely get the idea.

http://www.kodtweb.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often at least one player (if not all) is learning the rules, or has not played in a while. The other situation that I play a lot in is groups with a mixture of children, teens, and adults, with varying skill levels. This means that often I or another experienced player will be helpfully pointing out options to the less experienced players. Which often results in them doing better than the experienced players, with a frequent cry of 'why am I helping you again?!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.