Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar Korz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Believe it or not, StarCraft: The Board Game was my gateway game into serious board gaming. My wife bought it as a gift after I had (somewhat jokingly) expressed interest in it due to the awesome miniatures. We were in college at the time and after convincing enough people to sink a few days into it, we were hooked. We quickly picked up the Brood War expansion and enjoyed that as well. The only thing left was this promotion, Typhon, which my wife was finally able to snag off eBay about a year ago.

What is it?

Image courtesy GaryP

A single planet, Typhon, and its associated galaxy setup token and resource card. Typhon has two areas; a single mineral, and a single conquest point.

Typhon has the unique distinction of having only a single connection point. The other 18 planets all have at least two.

Also, I should mention that the resource card is not actually a card; it's composed of the same thick cardboard as the planet itself. On top of this, it's smaller than the cards. This is aesthetically unappealing when placed next to other resource cards during the game.

How is it?

Typhon as a planet does not offer much. The single mineral is insignificant and may as well not exist. Thus, the planet comes down to a single conquest point that is more easily defended.

However, this comes at the cost of offense as the planet cannot be a used as a staging ground to attack other planets. The previously mentioned lack of resources also makes the planet useless by itself. If you are losing, the planet will not help you gain ground on other players. If you get stuck on Typhon, you may as well forfeit. angry Sure, if you are winning, the extra point per turn may push you to victory, but many other planets can do this for you as well.

Quite frankly, we do not enjoy playing with this promotion. Usually, the person who draws it discards it as we play with the draw three, choose two variant. gulp I would personally much rather play Abaddon as I think two minerals outweighs the possibility of another front. (Honestly, I do not want Abaddon either! whistle)

The nail in the coffin for this promo is its current selling price. The going price on eBay seems to be at least $25. This is nowhere near the value it adds to the game, so this is definitely for completionists only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My feelings exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I would never buy it, and I wouldn't play with it even if it were given to me as a gift.

Framed on a wall, however, it could make an excellent conversation piece, as well as an excuse to introduce inquisitive guests to the wonder of wonders that is Starcaft: The Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm confused... Last time Typhon was discussed, people were saying it shouldn't be used because it's OVERpowered! Now people say it's UNDERpowered?

Here's a link to the discussion I started about using Typhon strategically:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/988149/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Korz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
Okay, I'm confused... Last time Typhon was discussed, people were saying it shouldn't be used because it's OVERpowered! Now people say it's UNDERpowered?

Here's a link to the discussion I started about using Typhon strategically:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/988149/

Typhon can be turned into 2 VP by Mengsk, which makes it more valuable. For three minerals you can build 2 marines and a shuttle, and then for a single action you can move the marines over there. This is a relatively low cost. Typhon cannot have Z-axis connectors and is easy to fill (only two areas), so the usual surprise attack tactics cannot be used here.

In your post you suggested using a two-connector planet as your other planet. Do any of these planets have four areas? With only two or three areas, you will not have many resources at your disposal. If an opponent expands towards you -- or worse, starts next to you -- you will be in a difficult situation with nowhere else to go.

So perhaps this is an edge case where Typhon may work out. But the majority of times, I'd still pass on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.