Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert MacLean
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like this game but I feel that I could get the same thing by playing by myself because player interaction is pretty much zero in this.

The only thing I can think of that has any interaction is if you open a sarcophagus (thanks Google spell check), and decided not to take the treasure... but even then if one person won't take the treasure it is unlikely anyone else would.

Am I missing something and/or what have you don't to make it have more player interaction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely miss something.
It's a press-your luck game, so playing alone is pointless & boring.
You need other players to compete with, in terms of amount of treasures and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
You definitely miss something.
It's a press-your luck game, so playing alone is pointless & boring.
You need other players to compete with, in terms of amount of treasures and strategy.

Exactly... solo, you could win by just walking in and walking out... but the other player just got something nice... now you have to go in deeper... and so do they... who will time it right? who will lose their nerve? Who will outstay their welcome? ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert MacLean
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Can you give some examples of how player interaction plays out? In the games I've played, there is conversation around the table but no direct interaction.

I even went back to the rules & can't see anything around how one character could interact with another: there is no sharing or stealing of items, you can move onto the same spot as another player etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's indeed no built-in direct conflict mechanic (apart from Rasputin's ability that allows some nice backstabbing if played well).
It's on purpose, mostly because it's a press-your-luck, family game.

Family games are typically "nice". No backstabbing, etc. But you can houserule (there's a variant in Temple of Chac files section).

Interaction example : Let's say player #1 decides to use all his action points to take all "cheap" treasures in the first "easy" area. It forces others to go in more "risky" and far away areas (but there they might fing "good" treasures). The opposite works too.
That is interaction to me. Not direct, but still.

If you simply discuss around the table and agree on who will go where, it must be pretty boring indeed. When I play, there's always competition (and cursing!), because some players aim for the same treasures or have a similar strategy that they must change along the way, and so on.
That means too that the more players, the more tense the game becomes. When you play at 2 or 3 there's much less competition (and interaction).

TLDR : If you want direct interaction, this game is probably not for you. I'd recommend something like City of horror, Spartacus, or Wiz-war...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Elgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
There are a few ideas to create more player interaction, such as Pick-Pocketing, pushing other players and picking up items they have dropped:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/921744/fortune-favors-bo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.