United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking notice of the surprise ratings over the past couple of Winter Olympiads, NBC Sports Network will be broadcasting the US Olympic Trials for curling, starting this weekend.

It seems like a simple enough sport with significant skill requisites. But still, it won't replace the primary winter sports, like figure skating, ice hockey, and the alpine skiing events.

So who would want to watch the Olympic Trials for curling?

Let's see...men and women athletes (both trials will be televised)...athletically fit...wearing skin-tight outfits...often bending over...

Let me go program my DVR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the trials are on a non-cable channel, as we don't have cable. I enjoy curling as it seems to be one of the few sports I could actually play. We even have a local curling league here in KC, but it's rather expensive to play: about $20 per person per session.

Our whole family tried it once on one of the league's "open house" nights, and my son (age 10 at the time) and I really enjoyed it. My wife and daughter (then 12), not so much. In fact, my son could slide the stone much further than I could -- he actually got it to the opposite house while I could barely get the stone over the half-way line. blush

If I was employed and could spare the cash, I think my son and I would join the league, especially since they play almost year-round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The weekend schedule (times are ET):

Women's Match 1: Friday, 3:30pm
Men's Match 2: Saturday, 3:30pm
Women's Match 2: Saturday, 8:00pm
Men's and Women's Match 3 (if necessary): Sunday, 12:00pm

All programs will be on the NBC Sports Network, not the main network channel. However, all matches will also be streaming on NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports' online service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
I hope the trials are on a non-cable channel, as we don't have cable.

Around here, NBC Sports is the regular NBC station's digital sub-channel (e.g. 7.2), so there's a decent chance you can get it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
claymore_57 wrote:
I hope the trials are on a non-cable channel, as we don't have cable.

Around here, NBC Sports is the regular NBC station's digital sub-channel (e.g. 7.2), so there's a decent chance you can get it

Woah, for serious? I didn't know that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
All programs will be on the NBC Sports Network, not the main network channel. However, all matches will also be streaming on NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports' online service.

I double-checked our local listings. 41.1 is the regular NBC broadcast, and 41.2 (also NBC), which used to carry the local weather channel, is now "Cozi TV", which carries old shows from the 70's and 80's, similar to MeTV. There's no other NBC sub-station listed, and I don't recall seeing one when I've surfed the broadcast channels.

Looks like I'll have to try the online streaming version. Better go see what's involved so I can be ready when the time comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.