Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mentioned this before vis-à-vis discussions about moral relativity, and here again another example:

Who was the first on the ground in the Philippines? Why of course, the US Navy. Would you have thought otherwise?

The giant Chinese Navy nearby...nada. China is sending $100K.

Israel immediately sent an advance investigatory team of about a dozen personnel. As we speak, two 747s are on their way to the Philippines with 234 doctors, nurses, paramedics, and search & rescue teams, including a third field hospital. (Israel wasn't sure she could handle three field hospitals simultaneously, as she is still committed in Haiti, for example.) The Israeli team specializes in surgery, obstetrics, and search & rescue.

Canada has deployed a two C-17 Globemaster air transports.

The Australians are also sending transports and medical teams.

Does anyone know what the Russian and French navies are doing, for example. Where are the Swiss, Norwegian, and Swedish field hospitals.

Saudi air transports?

etc., etc.

There's those who talk and obfuscate and lie. Then there are those who do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our largest transporter plane left last night, probably dropped of its supplies of tents, drinking water and medication already and is on it's way for a second run.

But please, continue on your crusade of self-righteousness. Remember, at all times, it is the fault of 'the left'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
Our largest transporter plane left last night, probably dropped of its supplies of tents, drinking water and medication already and is on it's way for a second run.

I dunno about first on the ground - I guess a lot depends on who is closest - the ships that arrived first from the US came from Hong Kong. So pretty close.

Also Isaac is wrong about China - they have upped their aid to around $1m - and they are currently in a territorial dispute with the Philippines.

One of the first field hospitals set up was Franco-Belgian. France has had their first plane land with 10 tons of aid yesterday. The Swiss too have people on the ground. As of the 13th, Denmark had contributed $6.9m, Sweden $3.6m, the European Commission $2.8m.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

There's those who talk and obfuscate and lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aid at a glance

Australia: $9.3m package, including medical staff, shelter materials, water containers and hygiene kits

Japan: $10m, including tents and blankets. 25-person medical team already sent

South Korea: $5m plus a 40-strong medical team

Indonesia: Logistical aid including aircraft, food, generators and medicine

UAE: $10m in humanitarian aid

US: $20m in humanitarian aid, 90 marines, aircraft carrier plus logistics support

UK: $16m (£10m) package including emergency shelter, water and household items

Asia Development Bank: A $500m emergency reconstruction loan and $23m in grants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Saudi air transports?.

Considering that the Philippines is a forgotten front in the War on Terror, the natives might be a bit nervous about Saudis considering their September 11th involvement and all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Enduring_Freedom_%E2%...

The Philippines is bit of an American responsibility anyway since they didn't officially gain their independence until 1946, almost 50 years after the Spanish-American War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
Quote:
Saudi air transports?.

Considering that the Philippines is a forgotten front in the War on Terror, the natives might be a bit nervous about Saudis considering their September 11th involvement and all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Enduring_Freedom_%E2%...

The Philippines is bit of an American responsibility anyway since they didn't officially gain their independence until 1946, almost 50 years after the Spanish-American War.
Though one could argue that under Marcos they ere still (in effect) a US colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Shouldn't this be titled Ex-colonial power provides more aid as per normal in these kind of situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the Anti-american protestors in the Philippines will be accepting any of that American aid or will they stick to their guns and continue to hate America ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDdUuMKVUI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I wonder if the Anti-american protestors in the Philippines will be accepting any of that American aid or will they stick to their guns and continue to hate America ?

In October 2012, American ships were found dumping toxic wastes into Subic Bay,. Also how dare a country want to protect it's citizens in it's borders (and prosecute crimes committed there), haters gona hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
In October 2012, American ships were found dumping toxic wastes into Subic Bay,

You mean to say, the Philippine communists accuse the USA of dumping toxic waste ? I am shocked , shocked I tell you ! the Communists have such a long standing history of being truthful....

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-38785.html

Unfortunately it just was not true.

slatersteven wrote:
Also how dare a country want to protect it's citizens in it's borders (and prosecute crimes committed there), haters gona hate.

That was not the question I made. My point was that this would be an excellent time for anti-Americanism rabble rousers to show how much they don't need the USA.

Oh never mind, we all know when the chips are down, the good will of the American people will be there to pull you up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
In October 2012, American ships were found dumping toxic wastes into Subic Bay,

You mean to say, the Philippine communists accuse the USA of dumping toxic waste ? I am shocked , shocked I tell you ! the Communists have such a long standing history of being truthful....

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-38785.html

Unfortunately it just was not true.
Ohh it must be true, a business said it, and they never lie. Also even if it was not toxic, it was still agaisnt the law http://globalnation.inquirer.net/63765/us-navy-contractor-li.... Maybe untreated sewage is not toxic waste, but it is still environmentally damaging http://globalnation.inquirer.net/64621/govt-inaction-blamed-.... But what does the USN say, that the claim it was not toxic waster is not true, it was untreated sewerage http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/310833/senate-confirms-subic-to...
Quote:

slatersteven wrote:
Also how dare a country want to protect it's citizens in it's borders (and prosecute crimes committed there), haters gona hate.

That was not the question I made. My point was that this would be an excellent time for anti-Americanism rabble rousers to show how much they don't need the USA.

Oh never mind, we all know when the chips are down, the good will of the American people will be there to pull you up.
They are not saying they do not need the USA, they are saying we do not want to be an American puppet state, not the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
I've mentioned this before vis-à-vis discussions about moral relativity, and here again another example:

An example of what? And how does this have anything to do with "moral relativity?"

I think this is more an example of wanting to make others look bad even if just a bit of searching various news sites will turn up stories that demonstrate that the overwhelming majority of them actually don't. Like the French field hospital, the 2 planes of medical supplies that Russia dispatched, the aid Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland pledged in response to a UN request, etc. Or the Korean contributions (money & a field hospital) you don't talk about at all.

If you want to make statements about moral superiority, you might at least do the basic research required to determine if there's a chance in hell you're right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
If you want to make statements about moral superiority and you care more about being accurate than venting moral indignation that may well be groundless, you might at least do the basic research required to determine if there's a chance in hell you're right.

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:

But please, continue on your crusade of self-righteousness. Remember, at all times, it is the fault of 'the left'.

And an emergency supply of white flags, oui?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Venga2 wrote:

Rather then untreated sewage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Much in the same way that Tea Party members still use the highway system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Venga2 wrote:

My bars are horizontal, not vertical, mon amis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Venga2 wrote:

You mean I just put my "American exceptionalism" on display for all to see? Well, that's inconvenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Much in the same way that Tea Party members still use the highway system.

Extremely poor analogy considering that the tea party members have paid into a forced taxation scheme all of their lives, so yes they should use the roads that they have been forced to build.

I think a better analogy would be the anti-gun nut who calls 911 so that a lot of guys with guns will come protect him. Anti-gun nutters should stop using the police services !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read Isaac's post three times and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the fuck it's supposed to be about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I've read Isaac's post three times and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the fuck it's supposed to be about.
USA,,Israle,Israel,USA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Extremely poor analogy considering that the tea party members have paid into a forced taxation scheme all of their lives, so yes they should use the roads that they have been forced to build.

I think that if you look a little closer at the history of the Philippines, economic as well as political, you will see that the average person there does feel they have some stake in the relationship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
you will see that the average person there does feel they have some stake in the relationship.

Which is why I said the anti-American Philippino's not the average Philippino. Unless the average Philippino is anti-American ?

I would love to see a reporter track down some of the Anti-American protestors in the Philippines and see how they are doing, then check and see if they are rejecting American aid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Venga2 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Venga2 wrote:

You mean I just put my "American exceptionalism" on display for all to see? Well, that's inconvenient.
I rather thought of it as a common -and easy to make- mistake, but I like your explanation better: You ignorant Yank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.