Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered my copy at the weekend and can't wait to play. This will be my first real wargame. I'm holding out some sort of hope that it might be waiting for me at home when I get back from work!

I just wondered how experienced players allocate units to the Beach Landing Boxes. Given that units are overwhelmingly more likely to drift East (rather than West) is there any temptation to place units a bit to the West of your preferred landing location? This feels a bit gamey (and perhaps against the spirit of things) so I wondered whether players tend to avoid this? I'm thinking that I will place units where I want them and then deal with the consequences afterwards. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do as you please, but I don't like it. Drift is there to balance the game difficulty and is historical. Maybe play a few games (after your initial learning games) and I think you will see how it fits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
I don't like it.

You mean you don't like anticpating drift? You would place units where you want them to land?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, generally I try to anticipate the drift with placement. Doesn't always work out but it seems to make good strategic sense. Also, I *think* you can stack two units for a landing, which is another way to minimize unit spread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything wrong with antcipating drift, isn't that the coxswain's job?

And for all your anticipation, the system will still drift in ways you didn't expect, so it's not like you get unrealistic control.

And, even if you did get unrealistic control, the system going to kick your butt anyway....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, ok. That seems fair. Driving home I think I came to the conclusion that anticipating the drift is part of the game and I like your intpretation that is part of the coxswain's job. Thanks all for the replies.

PS There is an attractively sized package sitting by my front door right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have misunderstood, I thought you meant breaking the rules about placement. The units that I am allowed to place where I want do always get placed a bit to the west in anticipation of getting knocked down. The units that have specific placement (DW3 or whatever) I would not change, as that is part of the game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.