Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Be prepared! A "Watch out for this card!" list. Informative not ranting. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to start an informative "Watch out for this card!" list. This is not a thread to rant in but to discuss challenging cards one might come up against in this game and possible strategies to counter these cards.

In my last tournament, for example, I came up against the Romulan interphase Generator for the first time. So I'll start the list with it:

1. Interphase Generator (Romulan): When defending while you are Cloaked, you may discard this card after all the dice have been rolled to reduce the damage from a single attack to exactly 1 [DAMAGE].

There were three ships that I basically had to kill twice each during one tournie because of this card.

Counter to it: I'm now on watch for it and try not to target ships with it now until they come out of cloak because then it won't work.

2. Cloaked Mines (Romulan): During the planning phase, you may discard this card to place a Minefield Token within range 2 of your ship (in any direction), but not within range 2 of an enemy ship. If an enemy ship passes within range 1 of the token, roll 3 attack dice (-1 if the target ship immediately performs a [scan] action). Any [hit] or [crit] damages the target ship as normal. The affected ship does not roll any defense dice.

This card can severely restrict opposing movement in large areas while not doing so to friendly ships.

Counter to it: Destroy the mine layer before it can drop the mines - this can be done by moving forward faster than your opponent anticipates. Or, move forward fast to limit the area where the mines are dropped. Or, keep shields up and be prepared to repair shields. Or, avoid the area where the mines are dropped.

3. Barrage of Fire (Klingon): Attack: Discard this card to perform this attack. Target 1 friendly ship within range 1 of your ship. Target ship may not make a normal attack this round. Instead, add the Primary weapon value of that ship to your attack roll for this attack. Both ships must have the same enemy ship within their forward firing arcs. Place an Auxiliary Power token beside both ships.

This can cause even a big, tough, powerful ship to be one-shotted and destroyed instantly.

Counter to it: Its range is only 1-2 so if you can try to kill off its carrier at range 3. Or, use the Klingon Stasis Field to negate its carrier's ability to attack on the turn of first contact and destroy its carrier ASAP. Or, use attack-negating cards such as the Romulan Interphase Generator or the Ferengi Conditional Surrender to protect your ships against such powerful attacks.

Anyhoo, there's a start. Please add more in this fashion:
1. Give the card name, faction, and text.
2. Give a brief synopsis of its danger.
3. Offer possible counters to it.

This way, I and others won't walk into tournies unprepared and be blindsided by powerful cards. Remember, however, don't rant or try to offer rewording of the cards. Just warn, inform, and suggest counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fastback M
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
These are also reasons to consider using Miles O'brien to disable upgrades. This may give you time enough to get out of firing arc or destroy the carrier of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kelmelis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anti-Matter Mines (Federation): ATTACK: Discard this card and place a Minefield Token in your rear firing arc at Range 1. If you place this token on a ship, or if a ship enters the minefield, roll 4 attack dice. Any [DAMAGE] or [CRITICAL] damages the ship as normal. The affected ship does not roll any defense dice.

This can cause a significant amount of damage to several ships at once if flying in close formation, not allowing for any defenses or evade tokens to stop them.

Counter to it: It's only range 1 and it must be in the rear arc, so seeing it coming should be pretty easy. Keep in mind only part of the token has to be in range 1 and rear arc - the rest of the token can fall outside that area. Ships flying in tight formation are especially vulnerable to this as many ships will all take damage at once. Destroy mine-carries before they are able to pass you and get you in range. Cloaked ships are vulnerable as well as they lose the protection of shields. If you see a ship lining up to drop mines, drop out of cloak and prepare to take the hit on the shields if you don't think you can survive it otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muon Feedback Wave (Romulan): Action: Discard this card to place a Muon Token beside a ship at Range 1. This upgrade may only be purchased for a Romulan Science Vessel.

Muon Token: During the Activation Phase after the ship moves, the ship takes damage to its Hull equal to the number of its current Maneuver -1. The type of maneuver does not matter, just the number. After the ship performs a Green or White Maneuver, it can spend an Action to remove the Muon Token.

This can cause up to 4 damage to a fast flying ship.

Counter to it: Destroy the Science Vessel before it drops the Muon. (Isn't that a counter to everything?) When within Range 1 of a MFW, only do speed 1 maneuvers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
It does seem that the counter to any threatening card or ship is either to disable a card with another or destroying the ship before it can deploy its ability. Having said that, situational cards are vulnerable to you getting out or not meeting the situation. That's the cool thing about this game. Everything is a threat is some way, and everything has a counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
With wave 2 things are shaping up nicely. I can already see the shift in meta about what crew, elites, and upgrades to choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In'Cha (Elite Klingon captain talent) - Action: Discard this card to perform one additional maneuver of your choice this round (SP5)

Watch out for it on ships that have a "5" straight movement (currently Federation Galaxy class and Cardassian Galor Glass. With two 5 movements its possible to have the front edge of your starting zone in attack range on turn one.

Counter to it: I would say that you should line up your ships and adjust your plan before your opponent gets within range of your ships turn 1. If you suspect this will happen turn 1, line your ships up parallel to the back of your starting zone and make only straight movements to see what your opponent will do first. Or don't decloak and beam down guys turn 1 - as is the case in OP3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thread should be stickied somehow, it is informative and pertinent to the game. I like how this one is going to come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
Where does the In'cha elite talent come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Negh'Var expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems to me incha combined with antimatter mines could be deadly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonMegel wrote:
It seems to me incha combined with antimatter mines could be deadly

As can Uhura

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best offense is having a well-balanced fleet. It's really impossible to plan against every strategy out there because the minute you start tweaking your fleet to have success against a certain type of strategy, it may leave you vulnerable to others. Plus if you are planning for something and then the opponent ends up with something else, then you haven't accomplished much. The most important thing is to know the cards and what they do and learn to adapt on the fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C LG
msg tools
mb
Great thread. I entirely support the endeavour of assessing risks and discussing counters. The community needs more of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Stormtrooper721 wrote:

2. Cloaked Mines (Romulan): During the planning phase, you may discard this card to place a Minefield Token within range 2 of your ship (in any direction), but not within range 2 of an enemy ship. If an enemy ship passes within range 1 of the token, roll 3 attack dice (-1 if the target ship immediately performs a [scan] action). Any [hit] or [crit] damages the target ship as normal. The affected ship does not roll any defense dice.

This card can severely restrict opposing movement in large areas while not doing so to friendly ships.
Counter to it: Destroy the mine layer before it can drop the mines - this can be done by moving forward faster than your opponent anticipates. Or, move forward fast to limit the area where the mines are dropped. Or, keep shields up and be prepared to repair shields. Or, avoid the area where the mines are dropped.

Another counter, while not necessarily destroying the mine layer, is to simply move a little more aggressively than your opponent thinks you're going to move. I found a few instances where my opponent wouldn't lay the mines because he was going to have to place them in a less than optimal locations. It doesn't always work, but there are times when it does.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B L
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engage (Federation Elite Talent) - Action: If you performed a Green Maneuver this round, you may immediately perform an additional Green Maneuver of your choice. Place an Auxiliary Power Token next to your ship. (SP3)

Similarly threatening as In'Cha, watch out for it on ships piloted by Picard. Green Maneuver, take an action with Picard, move another green maneuver, receive auxiliary power token. Repeat turn after turn, shedding the Aux Token with your first green move. Ent-D, with a forward 3 green maneuver and 360 firing arc, suddenly becomes very maneuverable.

Counter to it: Similar to In'Cha, and target the Engage ship!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Varel (Romulan unique crew)

Varel quite simply cancels an attack after it is declared, and is then discarded. Normally her fleet point cost premium combined with one-off use makes her seldom seen off the Romulan Science Vessel, since it doubles her cost. However when paired with Weyoun (disable to prevent one of your crew from being discarded), your opponent can potentially use this card every single attack phase, making for a very difficult to destroy ship, so look for the combo.

Counter: Damage that doesn't key off "attacks" (Riker's ability, Counter Attack, I stab at thee, cloaked mines, etc) can't be prevented by Varel. Abilities that grant multiple attacks like "Once More Unto the Breech" or the Ferengi missiles will ensure at least one attack gets through. Be sure to look for her before loading up a costly or single-use stacked attack like Barrage of Fire. If both of your fleets are reduced to a single surviving ship and your opponent has both Weyoun and Varel, it will be virtually impossible to destroy the remaining ship with a single attack, so focus fire on it while you have multiple ships to do so if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
Varel (Romulan unique crew)

Varel quite simply cancels an attack after it is declared, and is then discarded. Normally her fleet point cost premium combined with one-off use makes her seldom seen off the Romulan Science Vessel, since it doubles her cost. However when paired with Weyoun (disable to prevent one of your crew from being discarded), your opponent can potentially use this card every single attack phase, making for a very difficult to destroy ship, so look for the combo.

Counter: Damage that doesn't key off "attacks" (Riker's ability, Counter Attack, I stab at thee, cloaked mines, etc) can't be prevented by Varel. Abilities that grant multiple attacks like "Once More Unto the Breech" or the Ferengi missiles will ensure at least one attack gets through. Be sure to look for her before loading up a costly or single-use stacked attack like Barrage of Fire. If both of your fleets are reduced to a single surviving ship and your opponent has both Weyoun and Varel, it will be virtually impossible to destroy the remaining ship with a single attack, so focus fire on it while you have multiple ships to do so if possible.

Yes, this is an especially BRUTAL combination to take down. Very, very expensive to use (15 pts on anything but Romulan Science Vessel) but you'll need a minimum of 2 attacks in a single turn that are both significant enough to make worth discarding Varel. Otherwise just disable Weyoun and take the smaller hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheat Death: If your ship was just destroyed, discard this card to remove Damage Cards 1 at a time from your Ship Card until the amoung of damage is 1 point less than your Hull Value. Flip all remaining Damage Cards face down.

This is one a lot of us have misapplied, but it should bring you back with one hit point and no crit effects. I learned about it in the first OP when I engineered the perfect take-down of Kirk on the TOS Enterprise. I blasted him with the Gor Portas' energy dissipator and then blew him up. But Kirk just wouldn't die and in the next round his shields came back up, so I was almost back to square one. And Kirk was the one to chase down and kill my final Galor. Although I lost, it was one of the coolest turn-arounds I've seen in this game. That player has since taken to using this quite a lot and gotten good at advancing whatever ship has it into the most dangerous position. In a different game it saved him from having to deal with a warp core breach, because he knew he'd come back to get one more shot.

As far as counters go, just don't forget when it's on the board and make sure that if it's not the last ship you have to take down, you have one more of your own in the firing order who can kill it again. And never kill that ship by disabling shields....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
Cheat Death: If your ship was just destroyed, discard this card to remove Damage Cards 1 at a time from your Ship Card until the amoung of damage is 1 point less than your Hull Value. Flip all remaining Damage Cards face down.

This is one a lot of us have misapplied, but it should bring you back with one hit point and no crit effects. I learned about it in the first OP when I engineered the perfect take-down of Kirk on the TOS Enterprise. I blasted him with the Gor Portas' energy dissipator and then blew him up. But Kirk just wouldn't die and in the next round his shields came back up, so I was almost back to square one. And Kirk was the one to chase down and kill my final Galor. Although I lost, it was one of the coolest turn-arounds I've seen in this game. That player has since taken to using this quite a lot and gotten good at advancing whatever ship has it into the most dangerous position. In a different game it saved him from having to deal with a warp core breach, because he knew he'd come back to get one more shot.

As far as counters go, just don't forget when it's on the board and make sure that if it's not the last ship you have to take down, you have one more of your own in the firing order who can kill it again. And never kill that ship by disabling shields....

I was wondering why his shields would be up after he cheated death, but then I read "disabling shields". Yeah, that would be a problem. Normally it isn't too difficult to do 1 more point of damage to Kirk after he Cheats Death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
davedujour wrote:
I was wondering why his shields would be up after he cheated death, but then I read "disabling shields". Yeah, that would be a problem. Normally it isn't too difficult to do 1 more point of damage to Kirk after he Cheats Death.

Note that wave 0 talents aren't unique either, so Kirk can be sitting on double Cheat Deaths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Romulan Interphase Generator would seem to be a good counter for the Klingon Barrage of Fire. The Klingon player rolls a double digit number a of dice & the Romulan takes 1 point of standard damage. I have played against someone who uses some combination of Klingon cards to stack abilities do get more dice, reroll dice, change the outcome of individual dice, etc. If he includes Barrage of Fire into that stacking effect, then the Interphase Generator would save me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
The Romulan Interphase Generator would seem to be a good counter for the Klingon Barrage of Fire. The Klingon player rolls a double digit number a of dice & the Romulan takes 1 point of standard damage. I have played against someone who uses some combination of Klingon cards to stack abilities do get more dice, reroll dice, change the outcome of individual dice, etc. If he includes Barrage of Fire into that stacking effect, then the Interphase Generator would save me.

The Interphase Generator is better than that. Your defense roll still affects the attack. So roll an evade and use the Interphase Generator and *bam* no damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Broadstorm wrote:

The Interphase Generator is better than that. Your defense roll still affects the attack. So roll an evade and use the Interphase Generator and *bam* no damage.

That is better, especially given that while cloaked, the ship gets an extra 4 dice to roll! Now I have another reason to want a larger Romulan ship with 2 tech slots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas Jelsma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wait, that's not how it works right?

I thought the 1 damage is after all dice are rolled, so after you've substracted the evade rolls from the hits and crits. For example if you rolled 4 hits and 2 evades, you'd do 2 hits after all dice are rolled. So I read it as that you can still use your evade tokens after the Interphase Generator, but not evade die.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, but that's how I've always played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.