Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend recently went to Japan, and at my request, tracked down a copy of Rockman Settlers of Catan. I'll post some pictures later, but first let me review the game itself.

First off, it's straight Settlers of Catan. I'm not fluent in Japanese, but as far as I can tell, there are no rules changes, special Rockman stuff, etc. Everything is there, not simplified at all.

The components are very nice. Each of the four player colors has a different face molded onto the plastic, and all the individual resource cards and soldier cards have unique pictures. The tiles are nice and large, and made of a stiff plastic-like paper. It's worth the price just to have a colorful set of Settlers.

Pretty much everything is just renamed, but I think it's done better than, say, versions of Monopoly. I'm not too familiar with the Rockman Battle Network series, but it's something like robots fighting for control of computer networks, using chips to power up, and fighting other bots.

Resources become Battle Chips, and settlements and cites are Nodes. Link up Nodes to draw more Battle Chips, and use your Chips to fight your way to new Nodes. Fight robots to prove your strength (i.e., play Soldier cards to move the Robber and get the largest army). First to ten points wins!

In summary, there are no surprises here. This is a very nice, well-done retheming of Settlers of Catan. The rules are absolutely unchanged. That's good for me - this is my first copy of Settlers - but if you were looking for some crazy new Rockman rules, that's not what this game is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Baxter
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hi there, this is very cool! Could you tell me (or find out) where in Japan your friend got this game?
Thank you,
daniel_baxter@yahoo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph McSweeney
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a copy as well. I looked up Ebay in Japan and contacted a seller. You may be able to see that my Avatar is Mega Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll ask my friend the next time I see him.
Just finished a game with my parents - I'm slowly corrupting them into Eurogamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wah! So cool... Japanese heritage quelling, can't resist any longer,

YATTA!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.