Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not crazy, right? That's what this is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q
Canada
flag msg tools
The theme is certainly similar, as are some of the mechanics. However, there is a city board the monsters are rampaging over... smashing buildings and suplexing each other. So, clearly there are some differences. I haven't read the rules yet (they are up on the kickstarter page).. but to me this looks like the mutant offspring of Monsterpocalypse and King of Tokyo. Those are both fun games, so that is in no way a bad thing.

I don't have a problem with rip-offs though. If you can take a good existing game and tweak it to make the play experience better (or just different), please do! How many dominon rip-offs were better than the original?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Answer: all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's about right... I didn't care much for King of Tokyo because the giant monsters felt pasted on. Only the Power Up expansion gave each monster an identity. That's the only thing missing from Angry Monsters in its currently visible state... individual monster abilities instead of the "Power Stream". This game at its base feels like a giant monster game, at least.

I don't necessarily understand the price point being 50 bucks (potentially large art costs or high component quality... neither a bad thing) or the 30 for international shipping, tho. They probably need to work with a European distributor to get those costs down a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game of King of Tokyo this weekend. I really didn't like some of its mechanics, especially the in Tokyo, out of Tokyo rules and the balance of the Power Up cards. I think this game gets rid of some of those annoying mechanics, and lets you choose who to fight, when to fight, and lets you decide where your monster moves and what he is doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Car
msg tools
Hey guys my name is Anthony Creator of Big Angry Monsters I have been reworking the rules and I am going to be relaunching the Kickstarter again soon.
I have hired on a new artist to finish up the power cards and he is about 90% done. After that I will be sending out some review copies from gamecraftrer and actually going to offer it to people to order as well at cost.

I have got a lot better prices for the Manufacturing even adding all the new Cards. I am also going to be including more Monsters in the base game and will be able to reduce the cost of the game therefore my Goal will be a lot less so i can get the game out there to you guys.

I have Added advance rules where each monster has its own stats and abilities and have been play testing this a lot to very good responses.

Take a look at the updates on the Old Kickstarter to see some of the new rules and art.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1233540534/big-angry-mo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear... your implementation of feedback was very telling of a responsive, and caring, project owner. I'll definitely be on board again! Just waiting for your word (and a link?) to get a Gamecrafter version. Might want to do the Gamecrafter one so we can get some reviews up before the KS, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Car
msg tools
Just wanted to give another little update. I have gotten new pricing back and it looks like I am going to be able to get the game significantly cheaper to you guys and retain the High Quality I am striving for with a lot more stuff in the base game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
yobtar wrote:
Just wanted to give another little update. I have gotten new pricing back and it looks like I am going to be able to get the game significantly cheaper to you guys and retain the High Quality I am striving for with a lot more stuff in the base game!!

Fabulous news!!
I'm all in. Any ETA on the re-Kickstartering?

BTW, I never liked KoT. It never felt like a giant monster game. BAM has it in spades, and with much better art!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Car
msg tools
I just ordered my Prototypes so I can get some reviews out there done. And I am going to open up the gamegrafter option where if people would like to order a prototype now they could, I just hope people who order a prototype version also get the real one on kickstarter to help me get to funding.

Here is the preview link of the relaunch I am still working on videos etc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1233540534/130673156
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
King of Tokyo Rip off? I'm not crazy, right? That's what this is.

More like similarities to King of Tokyo than a rip-off.

Saint Sinner wrote:
It reminds me of Kaiju City...if Kaiju City had ever been published.

Kaiju City is pretty close. I bought a copy through The Game Crafter a while back. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available any more. (Good news for BAM.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.