Stone Age
Archipelago
Terra Mystica
Kemet
Village
Other (write a post)
      94 answers
Poll created by Kafana

Ok, so I've discovered board games about 2 months ago and I'm in love. I love the artwork, the mechanics, the competition, the socializing, everything about them. I prefer games that have a minimum of two players so that I can play them with my partner, but are also playable for at least 4 (though far preferably 5, or perhaps even 6) players.

I've started with Puerto Rico due to recommendation and I found the game phenomenal. I love the strategy and the mechanic of roles. After that I played Dominion and that was the best game I've gotten my hands on so far. While it has the least interaction (though I hope to fix that when I get Intrigue and Seaside, so far I have base, Prosperity, Alchemy and Cornucopia) I love the deck building part, the artwork and the "win by 1 because you had 2 buys in the last turn and were able to get a province/colony and an estate" part

I've recently gotten Small World and the artwork is phenomenal, as well as the game mechanic. It's a light game, to be sure, but just what I wanted to get.

I'm not planning on buying any games before Christmas, but I want to do as much research as I can until then. I tend to browse this website, as well as youtube for reviews on board games and the list in the poll includes a few games I came across that seem interesting to me. I've researched them and I know what they're about, but I'd still like to hear brief impressions from you guys. Feel free to add any game you think I might enjoy which you enjoyed as well, that's not in the poll.

I was able to play a few games of 7 Wonders and what I really like is the fact that you can play it with up to 7 players, especially if you have an expansion or two to add real variety. The other games I did not get a chance to play.

Basically, ideally I want a 2 to 5 or 6 player game that lasts from 30 minutes to max 2 hours, offers the most replayability and on a scale of complexity (from 1 to 5) is 2, 3 or 4. As for the theme, type or main mechanic, I'm up for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan. Maybe a little bit too easy for you and criticized by many out there, but it's a game that gives wonderful experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is generally considered one of the best Euros ever designed. You can argue about it, but its very ubiquity should tell you something.

A great way to research games is to look at the "Top" rankings. Again, these are highly subjective and subject to lots of debate on the forums, but by and large they're at least worth a look, especially for new players. To access them, go to an individual game listing. There will be a "board game rank" at the top of the listing on the right side. Click on the number and you'll get a VERY long list of games. Browse and enjoy, and read reviews on the individual listings. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
-1 to settlers. You are already into gaming and it will be back tracking in my opinion.

7 wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola + Stoneage are both worker placement games, although the pacing is a little different. Stone Age is on par in terms of compelxity with Small World + Dominion. Stone Age + Agricola both have more interaction than Dominion, although it's indirect and so less interaction than Small World. Agricola is more complex but offers more long-term variety and replayability.

7 Wonder's you've played - it's an okay game in my opinion. It fills a unique niche in terms of a eurogame supporting up to 7 players in a short time frame, but that's its only appeal in my opinion.

Archipelagio is a more complex and multi-faceted game, and is a departue from the others on your list in a significant way - it has a rather chaotic (though interesting) set of victory conditions wrapped around a semi-cooperative element. It will either work or totally fail for your group. I suggest trying it first before buying.

Terr Mystica is on the more complex / challenging end as well. It's a great game but I don't think it will fit your desired timeframe at all (same with Archipelagio). I don;t know how good either of these games are as a 2-player experience.

I don't know too much about Kemet or Village.

It's hard not to suggest Agricola in this instance. It has a lot of variety and different ways to play, making it more or less complex. Supports up to 5 players and has solo (1-player rules).

Ginkgopolis might be worth a serious look as well. The game is based around drafting cards + tableau building (like 7 Wonders), but there is a lot more interaction as all the players are also collectively building a city and competing for area control in different districts of that city. It comes across a bit abstract for some people - but it's a quite clever and engaging game that is simple when you break it down but offers a good amount of depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rudiger Dorn's most recent title Il Vecchio is the most fun I have had with a light to medium euro in quite a while. A very interesting twist on worker placement. It also has set collection, area majority,, and asymmetric powers. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted Stone Age above and it's an excellent worker placement game but if you like somewhat heavier, more strategic games like Peurto Rico then you may just want to jump straight to a deeper worker placement game like Tzolkin or Troyes. Stone Age is a great game but the two I just suggested are deeper and will give you a lot more plays before you start to feel like you've "Been there and done that"

When I discovered boardgames not long ago it was the deeper strategy of the heavier games that attracted me. If I had only played so called gateway games first I may not have fallen for this hobby at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you get further into the hobby - just remember that more complexity doesn't always equal more "depth" in gameplay.

The simpler mechanics in many games often disguise a much deeper and richer play experience than initial impressions might suggest. Small World for example can be a fantastically deep and rich when played 2-player with a solid opponent - yet the rules are quite simple. By having simpler rules, the mechanics "get out of the way" and let you concentrate on the player-to-player aspects of the game make for interesting an emergent strategies.

More complex games throw up a lot more hurdles and learning curves to get through in order to get at that "player-to-player" element - and often do so indirect ways that make the game more about players vs. the system than players vs. each other.

Just something to think about ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taylor
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for something interesting, give Seasons a try. The base game is great and the expansion Seasons: Enchanted Kingdom makes it even better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Square
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Agricola.

It seems that I too followed a similar path as you into the new age of board gaming. My group started with Puerto Rico and Dominion. After discovering the Geek we focused on games in the top 20 and Agricola was our third or fourth game. I've heard the detractors but our group loves it. From the dozens of different games we've explored in the past two years, Agricola and Power Grid seem to hit the table the most often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Puerto Rico, you will love Race for the Galaxy. With the first 2 expansions it plays up to six and is great at all player counts. Is is about 30-45 minutes regardless of number of players and offers great replayability. I play from 2 player games with my wife to 6 players with a 3 couples gaming group and after 1000+ games it is still everyone's favorite even though we keep buying new games to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:

More complex games throw up a lot more hurdles and learning curves to get through in order to get at that "player-to-player" element - and often do so indirect ways that make the game more about players vs. the system than players vs. each other.

Very true, but then again it is sometimes the complexity itself and the fascination of managing all of the moving parts of a well designed system that is the main draw for me. Especially when there is some interaction with other players, even if indirectly.

I actually like both types of games, from Samurai to Terra Mystica. You can learn Samurai in about 2 minutes while Terra Mystica probably takes 30 minutes plus a whole game run through to figure out. But I'd hate to have to choose only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Seasons is a great 2-player game, but I don't like it as much with 4, and it doesn't go any higher. I would grade it a "Buy", but it is a better 20th game than it is a 4th game.

For about the price of Terra Mystica you can get 3 games that will add variety to your collection and expose you to different mechanics for relatively cheap:
(1) Hive will give you some abstract strategy. It's a 2-player game. Alternatively you can get The Duke. If you find you like this genre you could unload more dough on the GIPF Project.
(2) The Resistance: Avalon is an awesome social deduction game with hidden roles. Only plays 5-10 players, but if you frequently have 5 and 6 it is worth it (especially when it is ~$15...value proposition makes it a "Strong Buy").
(3) Citadels has role drafting every round, which is a ton of fun, and supports anywhere from 2-8 players (base goes 2-7; the FFG version includes the Dark Cities expansion, which accommodates 8). Another value proposition at around $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are now discovering what you like and don't like in games. Both are quite important, but you also need to keep in mind who are you going to play the games with. Well, you will figure out their tastes too.

You are right to pick only a couple of games at a time to test the waters.

7 Wonders is a good quick, easy to learn, and also slightly intense game for 3-7 players. Very few games does the same. Although every game is technically different, I don't get a big sense of story. The player interaction is restricted to denial of cards (or abstaining from buying resources from you), which I think is the biggest cause of coming short in the sense of awe, accomplishment, and story.

If most of your gaming is with your SO, you certainly want to get games that are especially good or specifically aimed for 2 players. The same games do not normally support 5+ players. Possibilities from my favorite 3+ player games that work with 2 are Discworld:Ankh-Morpork (2-4p, ~60min, secret winning conditions), Innovation (2-4p, ~60min, managed chaos), Core Worlds (2-5p, we normally play with 3 in ~90min, deckbuilding with resource management, managing troops and conquering worlds). Someone else can suggest more euroish games.

The 3+ player games depend immensely on the group. The best ones are hit and miss in one group and excellent in another. For 5 players Battlestar Galactica (our games are 2-2.5/3-3.5h with expansions to Kobol/Earth) is intense survival with traitor(s). The game creates great stories. Also, you don't need to have seen the show to love the game. Another traitor game in a much shorter format is The Resistance: Avalon (5-10p, ~30min per game). For 3+ Cosmic Encounter is the classic that you either love or hate.

Abstracts with player interaction like Blokus Trigon (best with 3-4p) and Gemblo (best with 3-4 and 6 players) are good quick thinky games. If you like spatial puzzles, Ubongo 3D does not have direct player interaction, you race against the clock and other players.

Ah, almost forgot to mention King of Tokyo. If you seek for a quick and fun dice throwing game, King of Tokyo may be it (3-6 players).

Anyway, pick a few that interest you (and your group) most and see what likes and dislikes you find when you play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're curious about Agricola I recommend instead waiting for the "sequel" Caverna: The Cave Farmers hitting stores very soon. It's gotten very good reviews and supposedly addresses some of the aspects of Agricola that some people (including me) do not like. Dice Tower's Tom Vasel liked Caverna so much he said it's already replaced Agricola on his gaming shelf and he'll never play Agricola again. With an endorsement like that it would seem to at the very least be a game worth considering instead of Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend avoiding Archipelago. There's a lot going on, so I would say only experienced gamers should try it.

Also, I thought it dragged on way too long and was pretty random (not in a good way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wong
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're new to the hobby somebody should point out that the number of players is usually expanded for marketing purposes. Typically any game that can accomodate 2-6 players will not provide very good gaming experiences with 2 or 6 players, and will probably work best for a group somewhere in between.

With that being said, I'll suggest Agricola, Citadels and Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First of all, just go buy Agricola. It's so great. Print out the Universal Head rules summary from the files page for your first game and just play it. Scales well 2-5

+1 to Troyes, an ingenious design where everything is so tightly interlocked. There's bluffing and cutthroat player interaction, but in the euro-y brow furrowing sense.

+1 to Race for the Galaxy. A tried and true game that is addictive and probably has more plays than any other.

Caylus - a game from 2005. Didn't invent worker placement but is nonetheless considered the grandaddy of them all. I bought it recently on a whim, as I generally trust the BGG ratings (although, unlike you, Puerto Rico fell completely flat with me). I thought Caylus would hand me some buyer's remorse, a game that inspired the great Agricola, dry boring theme, worker placement (how many of those are out nowadays, constantly evolving?), etc. What I got is quite truly one of the best games ever designed. Caylus has not been improved upon because it's such a tightly knit design that anything approaching it would quickly be unmasked as a ripoff, one that's either much more fiddly or outright broken. The only thing dated are the components (seriously, Wooden Cylinders for workers?) and the theme. Not everyone likes it, but many, many do. Introduce it to even the most devout member of the Cult of the New and he'd be fascinated by the gameplay, as much (or more) as Tzolkin and its ilk. It's satisfying to sit and figure it out, and endlessly replayable. Also scales well 2-4, at 5 it becomes a little cramped.

+1 King of Tokyo. with 4+ players, it's a load of lighthearted fun.

Chicago Express - Plays well 3-5. Can be played with 6 but many experienced players state that the 6th player may as well quit after the initial auction, especially based on seating order. The expansion helps with this, though. Don't even consider it with 2. The rules for CE are so, so simple but the depth within is endless. Completely player driven, it's an economic game (you know, with money and stuff) and stockholding and trying to maximize your dividends. Tons of negotiations and alliances spring up. Winner is the person at the end of the game with most cash in hand. Oh, and the game ends in an hour. Awesome design.

And now, the monster: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. It's the best euro ever made. But it's hard to learn and should only be played with 4p if all 4 are experienced. However, it plays very well 2-3p, is very thematic, and extremely satisfying. You may see some comments on typos and errors and such.... these were older editions of the game. The editions in print since 2009 have been error free. The learning curve can be helped with some community contributed content, like this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/32812/through-the-ages-a-stor...

and this

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40446/tta-setup-rule-aid-f...

Oh yeah, you might also want to buy these for TtA: http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/through-the-ages-comp...
Definitely makes the experience much more enjoyable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Luburić
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
If you're curious about Agricola I recommend instead waiting for the "sequel" Caverna: The Cave Farmers hitting stores very soon. It's gotten very good reviews and supposedly addresses some of the aspects of Agricola that some people (including me) do not like. Dice Tower's Tom Vasel liked Caverna so much he said it's already replaced Agricola on his gaming shelf and he'll never play Agricola again. With an endorsement like that it would seem to at the very least be a game worth considering instead of Agricola.

Wow, that's quite shocking. Are these claims really credible, being made so early and all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The claim that Tom Vasel said that it killed Agricola for him is probably simple to verify devil

I've been gaming less than 2 years but I can tell you without hesitation that any game that is at least a year or older (preferably older) but is still being spoken about is probably a must buy. Agricola has sat at the top of the BGG rankings for 5 years, more than enough time for the shine to fall off. Caverna was just shipped to stores last week. Even if it is a better game, I can't imagine that it's THAT much better, especially once it's sprouted a few grey hairs..... and hey, Agricola is still an unbelievably good game.

I have very little doubt that Caverna is a good or even great game (Rosenberg has yet to put out a stinker)..... but I wasn't looking for something to replace Agricola, thank you very much! I'm sure I'll get around to playing it in the next few years or so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
detroit cobra
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also suggest to give Ticket to Ride a chance.

Kemet is an absolutely great game, beautiful components and very streight forward. But it has some kind of learning curve.

As some others allready stated, citadels and power grid should also be considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafana wrote:
dugman wrote:

Wow, that's quite shocking. Are these claims really credible, being made so early and all?

Reviews are spotty. The one I read today made me decide to make it a Wait. (It's also being distributed through Mayfair, which means very little online discounting. At a likely price of $75+, it looks significantly less attractive.)

The thing is, the BGG top 5 (10, probably even 20) should be playable and enjoyable for any serious boardgamer. These ratings are highly valid because they are an aggregate of a large group of experts, some of whom own thousands of games. (Lists like these tend to be the most accurate, for boardgames and everything else.) If a game makes the top 5 or 10, it is truly extraordinary. And note that Monopoly, which sells more copies a year than the entire top 100 BGG titles have EVER sold, is ranked #9,276. This means that name recognition has not substituted for quality, so you can trust the list.

The thing to keep in mind is that an individual expert (Vasel certainly being one!) has arcane, incredibly developed tastes, with increased sensitivity to a lot of factors. He is worth listening to, but maybe not worth serving as your sole guide. The same goes for individual responses here on the geek. What you want is consensus, or a broad consensus. The list is a great way to check that quickly.

It goes both ways too. For an example of "bad consensus," read some of the reviews for Age of Conan, an incredibly anticipated game that fell flat on delivery. It'll give you a sense of when to commit and when to back away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:

The thing is, the BGG top 5 (10, probably even 20) should be playable and enjoyable for any serious boardgamer. These ratings are highly valid because they are an aggregate of a large group of experts, some of whom own thousands of games....

That's not necessarily true. There's quite a few people who don't like Agricola for instance, myself included, even though it's #3 on the list. There are a few reasons a game can be highly ranked on BGG and yet not be universally liked:

- some games are VERY popular within their niche group and get very high ratings from those players where other players rate it ok or don't play it at all. Twilight Struggle is an example of this; a good game by most accounts but the people who are into it are REALLY into it so rate it very highly. Many gamers though either don't play it or have no interest in the theme or haven't heard of it or think it's good but not "number one".

- BGG rankings don't change as much as they probably should over time. People rank games when they first play them but then don't go back and update their rankings to reflect changes in their taste or changes in opinion on a game. So some games can start out with high ratings but then those ratings don't change very quickly if the game turns out to be a little bit of a flash in the pan.

- everybody has different tastes in games. Even an otherwise reasonably ok game mechanically like Agricola can turn some people off if the theme is boring or there is some issue with the gameplay like a complicated scoring system or whatever (both of which are common complaints about Agricola) So even though Agricola is popular it's still not for everybody, not even for every serious gamer. (I like Le Havre much better myself.)

So yeah, being highly ranked on BGG is a good omen but you still should take it with a grain of salt just like you would any review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
The claim that Tom Vasel said that it killed Agricola for him is probably simple to verify devil

Yep. It's at around the 15:04 mark of his Caverna review, he gives Agricola to his daughter and tells her to put it with the other games he's getting rid of. http://youtu.be/29qOvirR38E . I think he reiterated it again on his weekly podcast with Eric Summerer too.

Of course he's just one reviewer, but keep in mind he's a guy who has had Agricola on his top games list since it came out and loves the game. So to toss it out like that means he must really think Caverna is something special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caleb G.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you forget all other purchases until you get dominion intrigue. It's twice as fun of the base game with no new rules. It's my number one game meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.