Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a first time game for Haolun, Robin and Sunny, Elijah having played before but it was sometime back. The game took about three hours (the length mainly due to player unfamiliarity).

The game began cautiously, with players offering $5-10 for actions, or they offered to give up one ware in return for taking an action at the warehouses. Sunny was the first to deliver a Small Order and this was quickly followed up by Haolun offering Sunny $20 for an action at the Spices! Sunny was up by $60 in the first turn!

Elijah made for the ownership markers but made a BIG mistake in placement. He put them on the Post Office and the Palace, which no other player visited throughout the whole game. Much smarter moves were made by Sunny, who put his markers on City Hall and Guild Hall, thus taking revenue anytime anyone needed orders. Robin began his drive, which would continue for the rest of the game, to control the warehouses.

Everyone managed to deliver their initial Small and Large Order. Sunny played consistently, forging ahead in a balanced strategy and delivered his fair share of Small and Large Orders and Messages. He also took substantial revenue from his control of City Hall and Guild Hall. Haolun struggled to get his actions, as he didn’t offer much, but that probably helped him keep his cash. He tried to seize the Spices warehouse but was ousted by Robin who eventually took control of all four warehouses. Robin appeared to be the greatest threat, as he managed to fulfill 3 Large Orders and several Small Orders. Thus it was a shock that he ended the game with the lowest cash. The conclusion was that he must have given up too much in order to fulfill the orders.

For Elijah, the initial Small and Large Orders in his starting hand were the only orders he delivered throughout the whole game. After seeing Sunny place markers on the Guild Hall and City Hall, he decided to go for Privileges instead, which no one else was going for. Thus, he managed to acquire several Privileges on the cheap. Fortunately for Elijah, no one else wanted to stop him as Privileges were not in the strategy. The only resistance offered was in mid-game at Villa Zasteri, where the tower began.

Elijah to Robin: I’ll give you five bucks for the Privilege.

Haolun: We can’t let him keep taking Privileges. Someone should stop him.

Elijah: But no one wants to.

Haolun to Robin: [Reluctantly] I’ll give you five bucks for the Privilege.

Robin: Deal.

Elijah eventually acquired 10 of the 14 Privileges. He also managed to pick up 4 Messages for nothing when, twice, the tower started at the Post Office and no one wanted Messages. He eventually delivered 5 out of the 6 Messages in hand.

Final score:
Elijah $595
Haolun $520
Robin $470
Sunny $545

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Elijah!

You wrote:
The other players could have made more money than Elijah in the final round as they had several orders, including Haolun’s Large Order, that were waiting to be delivered. But Robin rolled 5, 5, starting the tower at the Market and ending the game.

You do know that the last round is played to its completion, even if the tower starts in the market, right? That is, all players must handle the tower the same number of times. Therefore, only if Robin was the last player would the game end there. But even then that player would still play his/her turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, bit of contradiction there, as Robin was the last player. Hmm, come to think of it, I guess none of them could have caught up to me. Ok, that's just me having some artistic license. I'll amend the last line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.