Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these supposed to be shuffled with the other book events when playing with the expansion, or do these replace in its entirety the base book events when playing the campaign?

I'm leaning towards the former, but wold like some clarification.

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
You may shuffle them in the book-icon deck when you play the expansion.
I recommend you don´t do it when you play for the first time, or better: use them after you have won a couple of games.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marion, do you have confirmation on that now?
I know we both agreed on this being the correct take, but the rules do not clearly present a solution to that (which we agreed upon, too)...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I see these cards as a way to change difficulty level according to the experiences of the players. Just like using helpers or having more starting items.
I never played with them, Ignacy created them after playtesting was over.

.....5 minutes later......
I just made a test - shuffeled the 6 cards into the book-icon-deck and drew between 4 and 6 cards (7 times).
Once I drew no Darwin card, 3 times I drew 1, 2 times I drew 2 cards, 1 time I drew 3 cards!

Having one or two in the game (depending which ones) might not be a problem. But having 3 really bad ones..... I don´t know, makes the game too tough while it already is hard
(especially scenarios 3 + 4).
Right now I don´t want to believe that Ignacy intended to put this burden on us mandatorily....


(...if you need confirmation, we/you/I must ask Ignacy directly..., seems like he´s too busy to check the forum regularly lately...)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree.
However, it still is inferring, unfortunately. You know how much of a stickler for details I HAVE to be...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Ralf
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy have we been playing it wrong then. The first scenario we played with ALL the new green book event cards. We still managed to win though. The second scenario we just decided to always do one green book event in the card for flavour sake, but not to do them all again because it would be boring to have the same cards come up again. Still a win though

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic idea, actually!

And yes, it is now confirmed that they are optional. Well, Lukasz confirmed it when I asked...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
I see these cards as a way to change difficulty level according to the experiences of the players. Just like using helpers or having more starting items.
I never played with them, Ignacy created them after playtesting was over.

.....5 minutes later......
I just made a test - shuffeled the 6 cards into the book-icon-deck and drew between 4 and 6 cards (7 times).
Once I drew no Darwin card, 3 times I drew 1, 2 times I drew 2 cards, 1 time I drew 3 cards!

Having one or two in the game (depending which ones) might not be a problem. But having 3 really bad ones..... I don´t know, makes the game too tough while it already is hard
(especially scenarios 3 + 4).
Right now I don´t want to believe that Ignacy intended to put this burden on us mandatorily....

This is interesting.
Based on this assumption, an idea could be to add a random possibility by rolling the d6 die, divide result by half rounded down, and pick randomly corresponding number of Darwin book event card(s) for each Beagle scenarios.
This would prevent shuffling DBEC in the book event deck and provide most of the time (5/6) some Darwin event(s) involved
What do you think ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
maho wrote:
I see these cards as a way to change difficulty level according to the experiences of the players. Just like using helpers or having more starting items.
I never played with them, Ignacy created them after playtesting was over.

.....5 minutes later......
I just made a test - shuffeled the 6 cards into the book-icon-deck and drew between 4 and 6 cards (7 times).
Once I drew no Darwin card, 3 times I drew 1, 2 times I drew 2 cards, 1 time I drew 3 cards!

Having one or two in the game (depending which ones) might not be a problem. But having 3 really bad ones..... I don´t know, makes the game too tough while it already is hard
(especially scenarios 3 + 4).
Right now I don´t want to believe that Ignacy intended to put this burden on us mandatorily....

This is interesting.
Based on this assumption, an idea could be to add a random possibility by rolling the d6 die, divide result by half rounded down, and pick randomly corresponding number of Darwin book event card(s) for each Beagle scenarios.
This would prevent shuffling DBEC in the book event deck and provide most of the time (5/6) some Darwin event(s) involved
What do you think ?



Sure, why not?
Give it a try and let us know in detail how it went
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
Sure, why not?
Give it a try and let us know in detail how it went

Will do !
But want to finish the initial base game scenarios first so it could take a while

I'm currently moving to Volcano Island, and try to play each scenario with at least the 3 characters -solo- before moving on to the next (and preferably win at least once each scenario).
This means that I will need at least 15 games (considering King Kong + Livingstone) before trying the Beagle expansion (assuming I dont play with the soldier solo, which feels more and more tempting as I move on ^^ ).
Anyhow, cant wait to be aboard the Beagle !! cool

I guess you were one of the player who played solo with soldier on base game correct ? How did it go with each scenario ? arrrh

Viel spass !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
[q="maho"]
.....
I guess you were one of the player who played solo with soldier on base game correct ? How did it go with each scenario ? arrrh

Viel spass !


Hehe..... did you dig out old threads or did you guess from my avatar?
Yes I played the soldier from the start, solo and with other characters - (s)he is good in almost every scenario, even the Castaways.
Since you need a really decent shelter plus tons of wood for the fire, you build the shelter and roof with fur only and all the wood goes onto the pile.

Sometimes the explorer is better, for Cursed and Volcano Island for example, when you need to know exactly which tiles to discover.
But I love the soldier so much that (s)he is in almost every game laugh
(I still play Robinson once or twice a month)

Strangely - I never won the Cannibals, tried maybe 15 times.
Always really bad luck, 3 books in the fist 3 rounds or similar.

Let me know how you like the Beagle whenever you play it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.