Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the monsters that appear in Shadows of Brimstone have known origins, such as:

Wild West (Brimstone)
*Black Fang Tribe
*Colonel Scafford
*Crimson Hand, Cult of the
*Darkstone Brutes
*Hell Cannon & Crew
*Lost Legion, The
*Scafford Gang, The
*Scourge Rats
*Tribal Ghost Warriors
*Undead Gunslinger, The
*Undead Outlaw Gang, The

Targa Plateau
*Custodians of Targa
*Guardian
*Trun Hunters

Jargono
*Jargono Swamp Raptor
*Serpentmen Shaman
*Serpentmen Warriors

Cynder
*Beli'al, King of Shadows
*Hellfire Succubi
*Lava Men

Trederra
*Trederran Field Marshal
*Trederran Legionnaires
*Trederran Mutants
*Trederran Raiders
*Z4 Grenadiers

Blasted Wastes
*Wasteland Scavenger
*Wasteland Terralisk

Derelict Ship
*B.E.A.C.O.N. Drones
*Flesh Stalker, The
*Necronauts

The "Void"
*Void Hounds
*Void Sorcerer
*Void Spiders

Unknown...
*Ancient One, The
*Burrower
*Darkstone Hydra
*Harvestors
*Sand Kraken

However, there are other enemies who have no obvious Otherworld or local (Darkstone mutation) origin specified for them.

In particular three monsters, the Void Spiders, Void Sorcerer and Void Hounds, mention "The Void". Is this a place (Otherworld) or a force/pseudo-religion?

UPDATE (11/14/2013): FFP confirmed that the "Void" was in fact an evil universe, not an Otherworld. In fact, they went on to state that the Void is the space between worlds. When you pass through a Gate, you pass through the Void.

While not specifically linked, considering Cynder is the home of the Hellfire Succubi, I naturally assume that the Hell Bats also originate from this Otherworld.

UPDATE (11/19/2013): FFP confirmed that Hell Bats "are a common creature found throughout" and not from Cynder. As such, we can only assume that their name was coincidental rather than a direct association with Cynder.

And what about the supposed undead monsters? The game mentions the Hungry Dead, the Lost Army, not to mention Vampires and Werewolves (not undead, but mythological nonetheless). Is the source of undeath/plague from an Otherworld or a product of Darkstone mutation or "power"?

Then there is the Flesh Stalker who is described as a "soulless alien scientist". Is it possible that the Flesh Stalker is actually from the latest Otherworld, the Blasted Wastes, which mention it's an alien prison planet?

UPDATE (11/15/2013): FFP confirmed the Flesh Stalker was from another unmentioned Otherworld. No word yet on what it is called.

UPDATE (11/26/2013): FFP confirmed the Flesh Stalker was from the Derelict Ship.

As for the Night Terrors, Stranglers, Goliath, Slashers, Harbinger, Sand Kraken and Burrower... we may never learn of their origins, as it seems both are probably associated with the deserts around Brimstone (i.e. the mines).

I also didn't mention an origin for the Tentacles, but I naturally assumed they were just a nod to Call of Cthulhu and "unspeakable horror" in general.

What does everyone else think? What Otherworlds do you think still need to be added? What monsters still need to "fill in" the roster for existing Otherworlds?

Last updated (11/26/2013)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Void will be an otherworld. It is certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:
What monsters still need to "fill in" the roster for existing Otherworlds?

Targa has Ice Scarabs

Quote:
You draw Encounters from the Encounter deck specific to the area you're in, so in that way, you get Ice Scarabs in the Targa plateau, but not the mine.

"http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-brimstone/comments?cursor=5085803#comment-5085802"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Oh? Was this officially mentioned by FFP? It would be nice if they associated the "undead" monsters with this Otherworld. Including the werewolves.

dahak wrote:
Targa has Ice Scarabs

Interesting. Although I'm curious, the three Enemy Decks (Green, Yellow, and Red) are used to tell players what monster has spawned. While it was my understanding that the Encounter deck only indicates whether to draw a monster (Enemy Deck) or to deal with an event or challenge. Is it possible the Ice Scarabs might be a challenge and not an actual monster...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
rwaszczuk wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Oh? Was this officially mentioned by FFP?

Speculation not official, which is why I said "will be" and not "is".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Wonder no more... here is the official response from FFP:

"@Richard "Mobius187" Waszczuk The Void Spiders, Void Sorcerer and Void Hounds mention "The Void". Is the Void an Otherworld? And if so, is it associated with any of the other monsters in the core box sets? The void is not an otherworld, it is more a name for a unspeakable horror universe."

Oh well.

In other news, I may be wrong about the Ice Scarabs not being an actual monster...

"@Jason in otherworlds do they specifically mention the monster that attacks you? Like for Trederra I'm assuming we'll be attacked my Tredarrans (or whatever their called) or do we draw a threat card? Otherworld Encounters can trigger attacks that have some specific monsters that crop up from that otherworld."

In other, other news:

"@Richard "Mobius187" Waszczuk Is there any chance you could confirm that the Flesh Stalker is actually from the Blasted Wastes, which is mentioned to be an alien prison planet? I don't believe so, but Jason knows the Flesh Stalker backstory."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
So the void isn't an otherworld, it's another universe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Yup. My reaction as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Yup. My reaction as well.

Like alternate dimensions?
Why go that far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Granollers
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and don't forget The Lost legio,... mexicans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Like alternate dimensions?
Why go that far?

My guess is that they wanted something more than just a world to be the source of "The Void". Personally in my mind, and the way I plan to sell the adventures to my friends when we play, is every world is in fact an alternate dimension and all the worlds are Earth. Only, alternate Earths. But that's neither here nor there with this thread topic.

crusher100 wrote:
and don't forget The Lost legio,... mexicans?

Yes, the Lost Legion, a Legion of Santa Ana's soldiers. I hadn't included them, but their obvious origin would be the Wild West (Brimstone), and by that I mean Earth. The reason I hadn't included them is because I was sure what force had brought them back from the grave, as I assume they're undead/skeletons. If it's just Darkstone, then they would definitely be local monsters, but if another force was manipulating them, that could point to an Otherworld source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea about alternate earths.
I'm a use that.
Reminds me of Sliders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Good idea about alternate earths.
I'm a use that.
Reminds me of Sliders.

Exactly. Last night I gave it some thought and planned to create a thread about the idea where I would discuss what I imagined would be the origins for each Otherworld. It would also go towards explaining tribal humans living in Jargono.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the void might be the space between the otherworlds or another dimension
As you enter a portal, you traverse the void to then arrive in an otherworld.
and maybe sometimes, you get trapped in that void.
it would at least explain the void hounds ability to appear/dissappear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:

Then there is the Flesh Stalker who is described as a "soulless alien scientist". Is it possible that the Flesh Stalker is actually from the latest Otherworld, the Blasted Wastes, which mention it's an alien prison planet?

UPDATE (11/14/2013): FFP rep did not believe the Flesh Stalker was from the Blasted Wastes, but he was not certain (i.e. ask Jason).

Flesh stalker is not from the Wastes.

Quote:

“Where is the Flesh Stalker from?” – Similar answer to above, though, there is a world not yet revealed that is a good fit for him!

"http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-brimstone/comments?cursor=5104012#comment-5104011"

Also in the same comment we got
Quote:
That being said, a lot of times Encounters for a specific Otherworld will call for world-specific Enemies to attack. And some Otherworlds have built in rules about what the default enemy type is when you find an attack that is not Encounter based (such as a basic ‘Attack’ Exploration Token, or a depth event chart result that is an attack).

And
Quote:
The Sand Kraken and the Burrower are meant to be generalized monsters that could attack anywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
the void might be the space between the otherworlds or another dimension
As you enter a portal, you traverse the void to then arrive in an otherworld.
and maybe sometimes, you get trapped in that void.
it would at least explain the void hounds ability to appear/dissappear.

That's certainly possible. Of course when it comes to the Void Hounds my impression is they are based on the Hounds of Tindalos, mythical hounds from the Cthulhu Mythos that dwell in Earth's distant past. The hounds are said to inhabit the angles of time, while other beings (such as humankind and all common life) descend from curves. The Hounds are thought to be immortal and are believed to crave after something in humankind and other normal life, and will follow victims through time and space to get it.

dahak wrote:
Where is the Flesh Stalker from? Similar answer to above, though, there is a world not yet revealed that is a good fit for him!

Huh. I was certain the Blasted Wastes would have been a great origin for the Flesh Stalker. He could have easily been banished to the Blasted Wastes as a psychotic criminal who had experimented on other aliens without remorse... only to learn he wasn't trapped when the Darkstone portals started opening up. Ah well. Another Otherworld? I think we need more monsters for the current ones first...

Quote:
That being said, a lot of times Encounters for a specific Otherworld will call for world-specific Enemies to attack. And some Otherworlds have built in rules about what the default enemy type is when you find an attack that is not Encounter based (such as a basic ‘Attack’ Exploration Token, or a depth event chart result that is an attack).

I'm curious... where are these "built in rules" detailed? I want to make sure we don't need a rulebook open during the game. Whenever I hear "chart-this or that" I think of WQ and their charts/tables in the rulebook.

Quote:
The Sand Kraken and the Burrower are meant to be generalized monsters that could attack anywhere!

I figured as much, but it's good to know for sure. Still, I almost had hoped the Burrower was from Cynder, and that when on Cynder he would spray molten lava into all adjacent squares whenever it burrowed up through the ground to attack. That, and maybe have it spew lava, would work perfectly towards adding another monster to Cynder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:

I'm curious... where are these "built in rules" detailed? I want to make sure we don't need a rulebook open during the game. Whenever I hear "chart-this or that" I think of WQ and their charts/tables in the rulebook.

I got the impression that each monster type, mission and Otherworld had a card tile with this stuff like the scenario cards for Last Night on Earth. So about A6 and made of the same sort of card as the board tiles.

When I get home I'll see if I can track down why I thought that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
I got the impression that each monster type, mission and Otherworld had a card tile with this stuff like the scenario cards for Last Night on Earth. So about A6 and made of the same sort of card as the board tiles.

When I get home I'll see if I can track down why I thought that.

Hmmm. If it's anything like WQ, then there would be mission either in a mission book or the rulebook. The mission would detail the objective room map tile, map card, and any specifics. However I assume SoB would also stack the Encounter deck and maybe the Enemy decks depending on the mission too (which sounds good to me).

Since the Encounter cards are region specific (i.e. Mines or Targa Plateau) that would mean they could have Encounter cards that specifically reference a monster, rather than randomly drawing from the Enemy cards. Not sure if that means it will ask you to fish out the card from the Enemy deck or provide stats on the card, as I don't know what the cards look like (yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

"@Richard "Mobius187" Waszczuk The Void Spiders, Void Sorcerer and Void Hounds mention "The Void". Is the Void an Otherworld? And if so, is it associated with any of the other monsters in the core box sets? The void is not an otherworld, it is more a name for a unspeakable horror universe."

Oh well.

In other news, I may be wrong about the Ice Scarabs not being an actual monster...

"@Jason in otherworlds do they specifically mention the monster that attacks you? Like for Trederra I'm assuming we'll be attacked my Tredarrans (or whatever their called) or do we draw a threat card? Otherworld Encounters can trigger attacks that have some specific monsters that crop up from that otherworld."

In other, other news:

"@Richard "Mobius187" Waszczuk Is there any chance you could confirm that the Flesh Stalker is actually from the Blasted Wastes, which is mentioned to be an alien prison planet? I don't believe so, but Jason knows the Flesh Stalker backstory."

I remember reading something in the comments that the Void is the place you travel in between on your way from one world to another(world). So to be stuck in the Void, would not be in another world, but between worlds. Hence these Void creatures are horrors that escape the void.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heyvince wrote:
rwaszczuk wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Oh well.

In other, other news:

I remember reading something in the comments that the Void is the place you travel in between on your way from one world to another(world). So to be stuck in the Void, would not be in another world, but between worlds. Hence these Void creatures are horrors that escape the void.

Sounds a lot like.....

The Warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds exactly like the warp. AFAIK it was a fan's suggestion that you travel through the Void when you use gates, not FFP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
“Are the Void creatures from a specific otherworld?” – No, the Void is the space between worlds. When you pass through a Gate, you pass through the void.

"http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-brimstone/comments?cursor=5152771#comment-5152770"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:

I also didn't mention an origin for the Tentacles, but I naturally assumed they were just a nod to Maniac Mansion and "Day of the Tentacle" in general.

Fixed it for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.