Subject: I think I'm bored of board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Moss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't force yourself to play games if you don't enjoy them. That makes no sense at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can see the lack of opponents definitely contributing to this. I know that my lack of opponents is probably the main reason my urge to buy every new game has been drastically tempered to almost nil (though I still very much want to PLAY the games in my collection as much as I can!)

You can't get your wife (if married) or kids to game with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming should be considered a pasttime. If real life starts taking up more of your time, by all means, feel free to push gaming aside for a while. I probably wouldn't give it up altogether, however. After all, those brief moments of indulgence are often sublime.

In terms of recapturing that sense of teenage gaming nostalgia, I'm not convinced that is possible. Rarely do games of any kind satisfy me as much as I think they would have in the past. This is because as we grow we become more diverse and well-rounded in terms of wisdom and experience. The good vs evil sense of heroism is lost because that adult sense of reality has become so concrete.

Personally, I only find myself 'reliving' those moments when I am reading a novel, painting or writing a story of my own. Probably because I am lost in my own imagination, much like adolescence! Gaming can often motivate me to do this, and so I use it for that purpose as well as the social aspect. I really encourage you to find friends who may share your interests though, not solely for the purpose of gaming, but because it enhances your life in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Key word "HE", that and he's only 3.5. I strongly suggest keeping Heroscape, he'll love it. That and it'll be impossible to find a copy when he's old enough to appreciate it. I used to have a huge pile of Heroscape stuff and I still wish I would've kept it (although I did make a mint for that auction). On a similar note (e.g. not being able to find a lot of gamers) I've been picking up games that have a good solo-play option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer, dude
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a part of it is that you are a bit older and a bit more mature, having experience more things in life. I don't think you should sell your games necessarily. I think it would be better served to save them for when your kids grow up a bit and can enjoy them.

I too do not receive the same amount of joy out of games as I once did. I used to be able to become obsessed with a game where that is all I ever thought about. The only time I feel that way about a game now is if I'm working on it's design or if I'm play testing a game for someone. In these instances, I feel that I'm looking for something and it gives the gaming experience a purpose.

I'm not trying to get you into gaming, but I find that when I come across a topic of particular interest, having a game on the topic makes the topic more appealing.

I remember watching Band of Brothers and becoming obsessed with the WW2 era. It made games such as Call of Duty much more enjoyable as well. I think you will probably always have a place for games in your life, just not the way you used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not at all answering the question you asked, but if you want to partly scratch the RPG itch without having a group to play with, try the many 'actual play' podcasts that exist. I've been listening to stuff from rpgmp3 for many years, and it's very entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming is more of a social activity so unless you have people to play with who you like being with, interest will wane
As for computer games, maybe you have played everything out there and find nothing new
Just the same thing with prettier gfx, CoD 1/2/3/4/5/6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love a good strategy PC game. The only difficulty is that some of them have a high learning curve, like those developed by Paradox Interactive (I).... However, you get some awesome narratives out of a game like Crusader Kings II. Also a big fan of Empire: Total War (with DarthMod). I love traipsing through the 18th Century world, trying to maintain my cavalry and cannons and such, on top of an economy based on a population and praying that I haven't spread myself too thin right when the enemy strikes!

You're correct, Karan, boardgaming is more social. Even chess is social in a sense (imagine playing it against an AI, computerized or otherwise). Solitaire boardgaming can become tiresome if it's all you do. But a well designed strategy videogame can give tons of hours of replayability. There are still people playing Civilization II! I know the OP is into RPGs and theme and such, but maybe he should try something new?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into board and card games because it required interaction with my friends vs playing video games staring mindlessly at a tv not saying much. I have recently been expanding my collection to include great solo games and there are so many. I know it's frustrating when no one wants to play but honestly sometimes you need to force yourself and dedicate time to yourself. I battle depression so it eats away at my passions and free time and is a constant battle. Sometimes I debate selling everything but realize there will come a time I will be glad I didn't.

Perhaps you could get some co-op games that can be played solo and trade time with your wife doing some hobbies she enjoys in return she could try to give games a chance.

Good luck, hang in there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
coco roco
Moldova
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, indeed do not have someone to play is a big problem. It would be a solution to propose them to your friends and acquaintances to play. But today it is very difficult to convince an adult to play boardgames. It's hard to enter an adult in this world of boardgames. Sometimes it is even afraid to ask an adult if they play boardgames, for fear of becoming ridiculous. A solution to attract new players and playing partners, I think it would be to see the table and demand relationships developed game about that game, that put him questions, he became curious. Otherwise it's hard. I say we keep boardgames, they are and have been part of your pleasant moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muziq
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ciji wrote:
A solution to attract new players and playing partners, I think it would be to see the table and demand relationships developed game about that game, that put him questions, he became curious.

These are the kind of sentences I get when I let Google translate ordinary English to Japanese and then translate that Japanese back to English just for fun. Profound guru stuff that nobody gets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, know what you mean. One thing I can say is hang onto at least some games. I sold mine and then suddenly my son was 10-12 and keen on games and I had sold the lot. Up Front & Banzai, where are you now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you been on RPGG? There you can play by forum or find people to play VoIP might be something to get you back to the fun of gaming. Maybe board games aren't the right thing for you, it's because you just play solo or you haven't found the right game.
Have you even tried to find a group? I've seen other people here on the geek with a Malaysian flag on their profile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Try eurogames. I played warhammer as teenager but couldn't imagine doing that anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a good kids game featuring cars that you and your son could give a try Monza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Your game collection is actually pretty boring. It's almost exclusively thematic, high luck, low strategy "dudes on a board" games.

Kudos to those who enjoy those games - I hope that no one is afraid to enjoy the things that they enjoy and pursue them with great passion. But I'd be bored with gaming if those were my only choices.

That's not to say I don't enjoy some of those from time to time. But it's the low luck, strategy heavy games that make me passionate for boardgaming:

Power Grid
Steam
El Grande
Tigris & Euphrates
Dominant Species

What's probably happened is that your intellect simply isn't challenged by what you have available. So don't give up on gaming until you explore some other gaming experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Mage Knight Board Game and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Drange
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These days I get bored by video games and some types of board games I liked when I was younger as well. However, for me the board game interest was revitalized when I discovered wargames and other conflict simulations a couple of years back. I like how these games teach me something worth knowing. History and geography, obviously, but some also helps me understand current political events, as well. I'm not really a history-buff or anything like that, but the more wargames I play, the more interested in history I get. Which in turn makes me want to play a game on yet another subject. I think I just really like learning stuff and find that wargames is a fun way to go about it.

The fact that many of these games works well played solo is an added bonus on my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Your game collection is actually pretty boring. It's almost exclusively thematic, high luck, low strategy "dudes on a board" games.

Kudos to those who enjoy those games - I hope that no one is afraid to enjoy the things that they enjoy and pursue them with great passion. But I'd be bored with gaming if those were my only choices.

That's not to say I don't enjoy some of those from time to time. But it's the low luck, strategy heavy games that make me passionate for boardgaming:

Power Grid
Steam
El Grande
Tigris & Euphrates
Dominant Species

What's probably happened is that your intellect simply isn't challenged by what you have available. So don't give up on gaming until you explore some other gaming experiences.

He said he plays solo and those games would be beyond dull by yourself.

Solo board gaming also bores me to tears when I have so much better alternatives on my PC. I have a decent sized collection of boardgames and when the super rare occasion presents itself with other people I have a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
shingold wrote:

Have any of you been through any phase like this?

Only on odd numbered years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shingold wrote:
Irgendwer wrote:
Have you been on RPGG? There you can play by forum or find people to play VoIP might be something to get you back to the fun of gaming. Maybe board games aren't the right thing for you, it's because you just play solo or you haven't found the right game.
Have you even tried to find a group? I've seen other people here on the geek with a Malaysian flag on their profile.

I have spent some time on RPGG. I've looked at the PBF, but haven't taken the dive. I've played voip RPGs using Roll20. That was a nice experience, but it was a short-lived game, and the time to get into other games is difficult at best. Being here in Malaysia, the time difference makes it awkward. :-)

I've looked for gaming groups, but I haven't had any luck at it. I was invited to one RPG game, run by a guy from the Netherlands. I played once, enjoyed it, but the time, 2pm-6pm on Saturday, made me feel guilty. I need to spend time with my kids. That time means I'm out of the house for a minimum of 5 hours right in the middle of the time that the kids are awake. If it were in the evening, I could accept spending the time to play. I haven't found a group like that yet.

I'd like to play a bit more, then I'll look into running games of my own, but I really would rather play more befire, since it's been so many years since I played somewhat regularly last.

You should give it another try. PbF has the advantage it doesn't matter that much in which timezone you are. But I'm sure you'll find somebody for VoIP that's close to your timezone or some people that want to play in the afternoon while you play in the evening on a weekend.

Of course family makes it more difficult to find a common time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection, you are missing some key solo/co-ops:

Pandemic
Ghost Stories
Elder Sign

Perhaps something more thematic like:

Agents of SMERSH
Darkest Night (First edition)
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shingold wrote:
I was never a board game player until I wanted to get back into RPG gaming. Then I bought some things because I wanted the miniature figures for RPGS. I haven't had any people to play with, which is part of the problem, so I have bought a few single player possible games. This is fine, but they don't instill the sense of awe that I always got when I played RPGs.

I still enjoy boardgaming in general, but I was spoiled... many events used to be no more than 40 minutes away. I moved to an area where I often have to drive 1h 15 minutes one way to get to such events. Once or twice a week is OK, but having to go to work tired takes its toll, so I'm doing a lot less of that. Someone suggested that I can still play plenty of solitaire games, but I enjoy the groups for social interaction, and to play the many many games that I couldn't solitaire, not to mention those I prefer non-solitaire.

I ended up taking up golf (hiatus now since cold weather's approaching)... relatively cheap entry at $200. Sure, I have to pay for buckets of balls at the driving range, and green fees and cart rentals when I play courses, but saving average 40 minutes of driving each way cuts down on a good amount of gas, and the time savings has been greatly appreciated. plus, many of the board gaming events were at restuarants, where it'd be better if you patronized them.

Long story short, consider waiting on it before selling your stash (doing anything "rash" ), and using social media like facebook, or sites like Meetup.com to try to find more gamers to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.