Subject: Muckraker, lets talk some news rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb

Upside:

This card, it is awesome. Lets break it down:

4 subroutines. 4 subroutines! How many ice have 4 subroutines? Archer, Janus.... and not many others. That means that even though this gives out bad pub, it is going to take 4 to break with something as good as mimic or even atman. That's 2 clicks on magnum opus, a whole sure gamble. And chances are early game it hits.

Two-three tags and an end the run early game isn't too bad at all. That bad pub isn't going to do much against your two free credits with the original NBN identity.

Lets look at cost to break in full:
Mimic/Atman: 4
Dagger: 5 (if you have stealth or not at all)
Faerie: 1 (boo)
Femme Fatale: (6, 4 to bypass)
Ninja: 7
Pipeline: 8
Creeper: 9

Downside:
Only one of those subroutines needs to be broken... so if your opponent is cool going tag me this list looks more like this:

Mimic/Atman: 1 (booooo)
Dagger: 2 (if you have stealth or not at all)
Faerie: 1 (still boo)
Femme Fatale: (3, 4 to bypass)
Ninja: 4
Pipeline: 5
Creeper: 3

But if your opponent goes tagme, that's not a downside if you're equipped for it: Closed Accounts/Psychographics/Scorched Earth/Dedicated Response Team/Free Lancer/Private Security Force/Archived Memories to get that stuff back.

-------

Is this ice perfect... no, but it's really good at forcing your opponent to go broke, ignore a server, or just flat play into your strategy where he/she is tagged. It means abandoning resource economy and keeping a full hand, and just in general slowing down.

If they do try to clear the tags, that's still 2 credits & a click a piece.

-------

Don't play this card without cause, but if you think Grim is good in some cases, this card is just as good if you're trying to land tags, bankrupt the runner instead of blowing up programs.

I like this in jinteki and in weyland. Between cell portal and scorched earth type things, this is a card with some life in it. After testing it out, it was easily the star of my ice suite and kept tollbooth out of economic range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Muckracker, lets talk some news
It's actually 3 to break with Mimic. After you break the 1st 3 subroutines, you have no tags, so the end the run does not hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
cardsbydizzle wrote:
It's actually 3 to break with Mimic. After you break the 1st 3 subroutines, you have no tags, so the end the run does not hit.

This is true. If you haven't managed to land a tag yet it would only be the first 3 subroutines. That's not to say tags from other sources can't contribute though. Matrix Analyzer, Shadow, and Hunter being 3 I can name off the top of my head. And there are ops your opponent would have to contend with too.

But you are right, Mimic is 3 if you aren't tagged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Li
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Any amount of link will kill this, and if the Corp tries to get into a credit war with the Runner, the Runner will most likely win in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just last week I got hit with Muckraker on turn 1 click 1. I had a link, so it could have gone worse, but it was really annoying. My whole game start was disrupted. That's the first great thing about this card.

The bad thing about this card is the bad pub was now helping me out the whole game. It especially helped pay for traces on runs through Muckraker. If you have a deck with bad pub, do not run heavy on tracers! Bad pub helps the runner beat traces. The earlier you give the bad pub, the worse it is.

Also, I Parasited this thing right away. There are only three economical ways to deal with it. Parasite, multiple Link, or floating tags. The third one of those you should be very happy about.

In some situations it can be really disruptive to the runner, but it needs help. Standing on its own the card is weaker than it feels like it should be. But when you start to find it some friends, like maybe a chum in front or some foxfires, it can become very nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
cardsbydizzle wrote:

This is true. If you haven't managed to land a tag yet it would only be the first 3 subroutines. That's not to say tags from other sources can't contribute though. Matrix Analyzer, Shadow, and Hunter being 3 I can name off the top of my head. And there are ops your opponent would have to contend with too.

But you are right, Mimic is 3 if you aren't tagged.

Yea I think that's the thing, comboing this with other cards. I especially like this after a Data Raven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
One other thing is that we aren't living in a world anymore where bad pub is permanent. You can certainly hold that against this card, but if you don't want it, you should be able to find a way to get rid of it. Especially once we're further down into this set. I imagine NBN will be getting a way to remove it too, although maybe BP removal will be one of those uncompleted cycles.

We know Weyland is getting an operation to remove 2 bp and has elizabeth mills. Jinteki just got Clone Retirement. There's a campaign for Haas. I'd find it hard to believe that they'd just shut NBN out of this mechanic, but I guess we'll find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
So this card wants you to play more ways to give tags, ways to blow up their link, AND ways to remove bad pub. Lotsa help, this needs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This falls in the camp of "annoying" ice. It's not death when face checked and it's not that difficult to break. It is, however, something that will slow down the runner on a few turns, so it might fit in certain decks that need short term tempo gains. Problem is. The bad pub. Unlike Grim, which I love, this does not bring enough to the table to be worth a BP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i really like Muckracker and it is the new addition to the set of ice that will change the facecheck habits of the runners running naked.

Fenris and Muckracker come to add power to enigmas and vipers of the world.

The cost is a bit high and the BP might be a problem, however, the real problem that i see is the extremely high influence cost.

3 influence? I will never find the influence to add this to my Wayland rush/Tag 'n Bag. Or my Jinteki.

This will go only in NBN. Getting NBN to pay 5 credits first round is a bit too much, but if they follow with a closed account, it evens the field.

And the tags that you can get just by facechecking this ice (unless you are Andromeda; 1 link and you may not run first round, so you may come with more link next round) is really too much. Just to remove these tags, you will get spending more money and clicks than the gain of the BP.

If this ice had 2 influence, it would have been an all star in certain decks. (no i will not remove my snares from my Tag n Bag Weyland Core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Mac and Andy are the most popular (and arguably strongest) runners lately in my experience, and there's no way Reina Roja won't see a lot of play once she comes out. 1 base link is pretty common because FFG keeps slapping it on runners who would already be great even without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general,bad publicity and tracers just are really bad together. Until we get more ways to remove bad pub, illicit ice is very unlikely to make it in my Making News decks. Especially with a lot of people using runners with 1 base link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Palpster wrote:
In general,bad publicity and tracers just are really bad together. Until we get more ways to remove bad pub, illicit ice is very unlikely to make it in my Making News decks. Especially with a lot of people using runners with 1 base link.

Obviously the BP hurts on future runs, but I think a lot of people are forgetting you DON'T get the extra credit on the same run the ICE is rezzed. And a single BP still only allows you to add one credit to ONE of the traces (or for any other one-credit use) for that run; it's not as damaging as link.

I'm actually wondering, with all the extra trace stuff coming out in Spin if Link will start seeing more play. And if Link sees more play, just *maybe* net police gets viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I know everyone loves some janky combos (myself included). Give this one a try.

Baiting a run in NBN isn't too rough, particularly because Astro is such a beast and everyone knows how tough things can be to stop if you let one slip. Set up that "scoring" server - ice, agenda, upgrade - but this time drop a Muckraker, Breaking News, and ChiLo City Grid. Watch the tagsplosion. That can almost replace Midseason completely - or hell, add on top of it if you so desire.

EDIT: In fact, I think this card's primary purpose is a surprise Midseason. There is almost no runner deck that does not fear Midseason - it's just such a strong card with so many followup problems. People tend to pool credits on Kati or try other methods to prep themselves after stealing an agenda to come close to the trace strength if they expect to see it next turn. Muckraker (Especially with ChiLo) essentially becomes a preemptive MSR if you plan your money right, and that is unbelievably strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
my struggle is that even if you are fully-loaded with closed accounts and freelancers, how do you maintain your tags so you can shrug off that early bp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
ericbtool wrote:
my struggle is that even if you are fully-loaded with closed accounts and freelancers, how do you maintain your tags so you can shrug off that early bp?

Closed accounts maintains the tags because the corp won't be able to remove them without wasting 1-3 turns. That ultimately means scoring an astroscript because they will have build up their econ again too. When you play NBN you are fighting their economy. You may not be presenting huge ice. That isn't the point. What you are doing is draining them of time and credits by tagging them. A runner with no economy can't cope with the simplest of ice. The BP looks like it hurts you, and it does to an extent, but with the right ice mix, it won't be that bad.

No money and tags means very little drawing. That means it's unlikely you'll see a breaker suite earlier in the game. Which allows you to camp behind some usually bad mid-game ice (Enigma/Ice Wall/Next). But it also turns something like tollbooth into an impenetrable wall.

If you want to maintain your tags, you use something like big brother. If they just spent a whole turn getting down to one tag and you pile them back on, it is a headache. And the worst thing you could do after a Muckracker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I'm not sure even Muckraker makes City Surveillance worthwhile.

Big Brother? Maybe.

I like Muckraker as a Psychographics activator, but that's all. The fact that it's bad against Kate and Andromeda (they have base link) makes it far worse than it really should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Magicdave wrote:
I'm not sure even Muckraker makes City Surveillance worthwhile.

Big Brother? Maybe.

I like Muckraker as a Psychographics activator, but that's all. The fact that it's bad against Kate and Andromeda (they have base link) makes it far worse than it really should be.

I'm not sure either having not played it, but it seems like a good midgame tag sealant.

The link is a concern. It's still base 5 to break, and on the brighter side having this on HQ means account syphon is a dead card if you aren't breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I confess I'm not a great player. The tag game to me outside of midseasons seems hard to accomplish when the runner typically has superior money-generating tools and cards like SMC or expose cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
ericbtool wrote:
I confess I'm not a great player. The tag game to me outside of midseasons seems hard to accomplish when the runner typically has superior money-generating tools and cards like SMC or expose cards.

You can't do it every game, but there will be times when the corp can get a lead on economy; or the runner will hit a double advanced ghost branch, and in that moment, you'll be able to sea source or big brother them in combination with closed accounts. At that point, cards like Muckracker are far more potent and City Surveilance is too.

I'll admit, your ability to use those tags right now is pretty low. You can kill resources, do damage with a few cards, and you can wipe their accounts. Luckily most of those things are pretty scary. Runners who respond to tags by removing them must spend far more than they do to recover from damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I have with Muckracker is that I can never say "Muckracker is good" and not feel obligated to add "... with ChiLo", "... with Chum", "... with DataRaven", etc... ChiLo is less egregious than the others for me just because positional ICE is a hurdle I always have trouble jumping, especially with all the ICE destruction flying around lately. That being said I think this card has some really strong points with the way I think of ICE.

In my mind ICE serves two functions, surprise and tax, and usually balances those very well. Neural Katana is a fantastic surprise ICE but doesn't tax much with breakers, Tollbooth is an extremely strong tax ICE even if you have a full suite (minus Femme). Muckracker has a strong surprise (multi-tag), and a strong tax (four subs!).

The problem is that runners usually won't care about all four subs unless you support your Muckracker. But since you're NBN they're more likely to care about three subs than one, not to mention free trace credits means they probably want to break them, not fight traces. It actually protects your ChiLo grid while being supported by it (few NBN ICE get to say that). The only issue is that going whole-hog on traces is hampered by the BP we're doling out with Muckracker...

I think a deck that likes to use Muckracker, TMI, Uroboros, ChiLo, etc... is starting to form, but I'm not a creative enough deckbuilder to find it quite yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dovian wrote:
I think a deck that likes to use Muckracker, TMI, Uroboros, ChiLo, etc... is starting to form, but I'm not a creative enough deckbuilder to find it quite yet.

Workin' on it! It'll probably suck, but things like this interest me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neksol wrote:
Dovian wrote:

Workin' on it! It'll probably suck, but things like this interest me

Oh I absolutely jumped on Meteor after typing that to try and make something to test on OCTGN when I get home later!

It gives me a nice break from trying to force Dedicated Response Team to work, here's a hint for that one, don't try to use Custom Biotics with tons of Assets and Encryption Protocol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dovian wrote:
It gives me a nice break from trying to force Dedicated Response Team to work...

My recent stupidity has been to try and incorporate tagstorm and NBN tag punishment into Jinteki PE. It's... it's interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
fyi, don't forget the runner does not have the credit from the bp when you first rez the muckraker. the runner only gets the credit on subsequent runs.

so there is a good chance you can stick a tag or two the first time you rez the muckraker, which might be all you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.