Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following the Journey: Wrath of Demons campaign on Kickstarter for quite a while now, and I have to say that the miniatures look nothing short of amazing. I'm not too fond of the design of the cards, though, in particular the western-like font they use.

However, the more information they reveal about the game play, the more it feels like a Chinese version of Descent: two actions per hero, spend an action to open a door, search or attack, etc. There are a few spins such as whether one wants to cleanse a demon after defeating it or the Fortune/Misfortune mechanic when searching, but all in all, as it stands now, it doesn't seem to bring anything truly new to the table.
Personally, I find the fact that different monks have different, almost chess-like "angles of attack" (i.e., some can attack vertically and horizontally, others diagonally) a bit odd, almost like they were trying too hard to add something fresh. And that facing of a figure matters feels strangely heavy for an otherwise fairly lighthearted dungeon crawler.

That being said, since I obviously haven't played the game yet this is all conjecture and it could still be the bomb, who knows.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the theme has killed it for me almost entirely

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Auger
England
Manningtree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on kickstarter so I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love that Bull Warrior mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never a big fan but my sister loved them in the 80's, she used to play "Don't Stop Believin" all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks neat, but I'd want to read through the rule book before dropping a hundred bucks on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be okay. Hard to say much without seeing it played or reading the rules. Personally I don't enjoy co-op games very much though so I would probably pass on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) to Kickstarter.

BGG does not allow threads about a game in another game's forum, as this creates false notifications for other users and in turn encourages spam as users promoting Kickstarter links will follow suit.

If anyone does come across this please flag the thread at the top as 'wrong forum'. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
I like the look of the components and I like the story (and I grew up on a diet of the cheesy TV series, so Monkey was already a legend to me), however I'm not convinced there's enough game here, and I'm not about to drop so much money just for some nice miniatures I probably won't use.

I don't find the gameplay breakdown videos (that show one aspect of the game in isolation) helpful at all in giving me a feel for the game. My request that they post an actual gameplay video showing at least a few rounds of play, if not a full game, seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I honestly can't see any reason to run a KS for a board game and not show the game being played in this age where it's ridiculously easy to make a video (or at least, no positive reason). For that reason I won't be backing, but will probably keep an eye out if it makes it to retail where I can make a more informed buying decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything the OP says except that the chess-like attacks are a minus. I prefer it over having to trace line of sight and it might add some tactical depth through positioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
I agree with everything the OP says except that the chess-like attacks are a minus.

I didn't say they were a minus, I said they were odd :-)

Boofus wrote:
I prefer it over having to trace line of sight (...)

Are there any ranged pilgrims? I might have missed that.

Boofus wrote:
and it might add some tactical depth through positioning.

This is all conjecture, but I have a feeling that there could be an optimal way to position the pilgrims which could actually mean less tactical positioning. Who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.