Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
I just bought Legendary, and have only played it about three times so far.

I have never sleeved any card games I have (All my MtG cards are unsleeved.) I have never played any of them enough that I wore out the cards I had or felt I needed to sleeve them. So I am a sleeve-virgin as it were.

And I just have visions of the piles of sleeved cards sliding all over the place and falling all over. The game already seems to have that happening whenever I play it now, unsleeved.

So I ask you: is it a good idea to sleeve all these cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES YES YES.

The slipping will stop after about 5 games at the most once you have sleeves. If you don't get sleeves though, all that shuffeling will start damaging your cards after about 10 plays. I didn't sleeve my cards until I started seeing damage, biggest mistake I've ever made. And I'm known for keeping my games in excellent condition.

You most definitely want to sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I find that sleeved cards make for easier shuffling. Never had any falling or sliding piles.

Sleeves come in all prices and quality so you can buy those that fit your wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is it a good idea, but it is strongly recommended. The card stock is not very good and will often show damage after a few plays. It doesn't help that it's a deckbuilding game which requires a lot of shuffling. My sleeves (FFG blue) at least do not slide around or cause the decks to fall over.

This is actually the first game I sleeved, and I'm glad I did. I discovered that sleeved cards are easier for me to shuffle, and have I mentioned that there's a lot of shuffling in this game? If you don't know the proper technique for shuffling sleeved cards, check out this video: http://youtu.be/LNHweeCG0a8

There are like a dozen threads about sleeves in the forums here. Just use the search link above and search this forum for "sleeves." If you ask for sleeve recommendations, you'll get a hundred answers here.

You need to decide how much you are willing to spend on sleeves and whether you want sleeves that are clear on the front and back or sleeves which have an opaque back. Opaque-backed sleeves allow you to print out and use the many custom (fan-made) cards that you will find in the Variants forum. Opaque-backed sleeves won't slide around as much as the clear kind. The downside is that typically cost twice as much. Be wary of really cheap (a penny or less) sleeves or be prepared to have a bunch of replacements on hand. They tend to split apart with usage.

Hope this helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you, I rarely, if ever, sleeve my cards. After just a few plays with this one, it was obvious that they needed sleeves to avoid excessive wear. As others have mentioned, the card stock isn't exactly the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone else here in that I strongly recommend sleeving the game. One point that has not been mentioned is that the wear on the cards is very uneven - Some cards you use every time (starting decks, Master Strikes, scheme Twists), others, like the Heroes and Villains, comparatively far less often. This means that after a dozen plays, you will be able to spot if a hero on top of your deck is a starting card (Great! Time to use my Spidey!) or if the top card of the Villain Deck is a Scheme Twist (Maybe I shouldn't attack the Endless Armies of Hydra this turn...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The card quality for this game is really bad, after a few play u will be seeing all the damaged on the corners... highly recommend u to sleeves all the cards.

It might be very costly though since it has about 500+ cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Whapham
United States
Sunbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as everyone else has mentioned, it is HIGHLY recommended that you sleeve your cards. I didn't have mine sleeved, and tea got spilled on one of the Bishop cards. Luckily, I got it replaced by an awesome UD customer service. Thery are now sleeved...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great thread to help you choose what sleeves to use:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13962815#13962815
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
I have not sleeved mine. I have not seen any wear and tear on the cards yet. I have been playing the game for months now. Maybe people need to be a little more gentle on their cards is all. The price for sleeves is ridiculous. You could spend almost as much on sleeves as you did the game itself. Not worth it.

Just be nice to your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon, normally I would agree with you about the cost-effectiveness of sleeving, but in this case I have to disagree. I've played the game 30 times, and after only 10 plays or so, we noticed significant wear on the basic SHIELD cards. The amount of replies and the speed at which they are being posted on this thread does a good job of illustrating that many others had a similar experience.

Also, "Playing for months" doesn't give us an indication of how many times you have actually played the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwick503 wrote:
I have not sleeved mine. I have not seen any wear and tear on the cards yet. I have been playing the game for months now. Maybe people need to be a little more gentle on their cards is all. The price for sleeves is ridiculous. You could spend almost as much on sleeves as you did the game itself. Not worth it.

Just be nice to your cards.

I appreciate an alternate viewpoint on this matter. However, I don't know of any card games where the cards don't get nicked, scratched, worn, dog-eared or otherwise unintentionally marked in some manner simply by repeated plays. The problem occurs when you can begin to identify certain cards by even the slightest markings making randomization difficult if not impossible. But bwick is correct in that many sleeve choices will result in spending nearly the same amount of cash for sleeves as you did on the game.

The solution? Penny Sleeves! at 100 for $1 you really can't go wrong. Check out the link I posted above for additional details on penny sleeves for Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
Ryan,

I do not have an exact number of times I have played. A ballpark number would be around 30. I have played every mastermind at least 3 times some of them more.

For me it comes down to the cost / necessity. I did not notice wear and tear after 10 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
Pixxel,

The only other pure card game I own is killer bunnies. I have played that game well over 50 times. And I have to say we barely have any wear and tear on those cards. Now, they are different quality and card stock. Maybe they hold up better. But your comment about any card game getting nicks, scratches, etc is not true in that case.

Anyway, I might look into those penny sleeves. Could be a good solution to the cost / necessity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
Thanks all for your advice.

Brandon, thank you for the one dissenting voice. It's good to hear not EVERYONE being on the sleeve bandwagon.

However, I'm going to go look into some penny sleeves. I know *I* try and take good care of my games/cards, but if I want to play this with others - they might not be an neurotic as I am about taking care of them.

Anyone know if you can get opaqued-backed penny sleeves, so I could print out some of these custom-made jobbies? Or is that asking for too much - opaque ones cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Anyone know if you can get opaqued-backed penny sleeves, so I could print out some of these custom-made jobbies? Or is that asking for too much - opaque ones cheap.

You ask too much. I'm not aware of any cheap opaque sleeves. Opaque sleeves usually run $5 for 100, plus or minus a buck or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Lhowser wrote:

You ask too much. I'm not aware of any cheap opaque sleeves. Opaque sleeves usually run $5 for 100, plus or minus a buck or so.

url]http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&...[/url]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, went out and bought some half-penny sleeves. 700 for $3.50! He looked at me funny when I asked if he had any opaque ones. (Old baseball card dealer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.