Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: How can you make the game more difficult? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before y'all slam me, I'd like to start that I've gone through every FAQ online and many of the rules questions here and I have pretty high confidence that we're playing completely correctly. We haven't house ruled anything, and I've got every card added at the correct time (including promo cards).

We're playing in a five player group with (around the table): Wizard, Fighter, Bard, Monk, Cleric. Tonight, we're about to start scenario 6 of the Skinsaw Murders.

So far, we have never gotten any heroes killed. We've gotten CLOSE, which has required players to scramble around to get people in the correct places to heal, but nobody has ever died. We've also only run out the blessing deck once (Which was the Poison Pill scenario, back in the EARLY game, before the Burnt Offerings cards were in the deck).

Simply put, we've had a few close scrapes, but everything has been pretty smooth. My players are asking how we might make the game more difficult.

A few suggestions we had:
> All Monsters increase their checks by the scenario number (twice if it's something like the Mercenary who should already do that).
> Add one or two extra monsters to each location.
> Trim off 5 blessings from the blessing deck (since there are 5 players, this effectively knocks out one round)

I recognize that part of the reason why it's easy is the number of heroes. We basically have one hero for almost any stat who is pretty good at it, which means that nearly for any skill check, we have the "Oh, the Bard should go do that, since she's strongest there." I recognize that we also have two healers (Bard and Cleric), which makes death much less of a concern.

Has anyone else experienced what we're running into, and has anyone tried any of the suggestions above (or other suggestions) to tweak the difficulty?

I adore the game, and we're having a blast, but we think that it would be even more exciting with that little bit more tension...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question : How do you predict what roll you'll have to make before the boon/bane turns up? You might have someone whose good at Wisdom checks and bad at Strength, but if the bane is a strength check, then it doesn't matter how good they are at Wisdom checks.

Perhaps I misunderstood the comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Play in a strong windwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to the above. My thought is they send people to the locations they can close. Diplomacy to close... bard. Banish a blessing... monk. etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To make it more difficult...

One of the players is randomly a cylon. (doppleganger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anker The m80 Hobbit
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only been playing it solo with 1-2-3 charcters, but
2 things might be fun:

1. the wandering monsters variation (shuffle x monsters in the blessings deck, replacing x blessings)

2. add a random extra location

greets meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
Play in a strong windwhistle

OK, that was funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shader is correct... we look specifically at what it takes to close each location and send people accordingly. Similarly if we know that there are a lot of items, the Mage folks tend to do well since many items are Int/Craft. Areas with lots of allies get the Bard or Monk, etc...

We still get thrown for a loop when a bloody Siren jumps out at the Warrior or something that does additional, unreducable damage jumps out at the mage.

I kinda like the wandering monster idea... shuffle N*2 wandering monsters into the blessing deck and if, on your turn, a monster is flipped up, you must deal with it (defeat or evade). Once the monster is resolved, flip a card from the blessing deck again. This will cause some random monsters to pop up without modifying the number of turns (there will still be 30 blessings in the deck and the 'blessing' phase only ends when a blessing is flipped up). This would also have the side effect that if you attack a boss and FAIL, X cards are pulled from the blessing deck, each of which will EITHER reduce the number of turns, or drop a new monster somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
70 possible cards to go through, you only have 30 rounds to do it, and you have only run out the blessing deck, once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can echo this. We've only failed once as well and no one has died. It does get tense, though, so I'm not really interested in making it more difficult. It makes it that much cooler when your characters all come together as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bikini Cowboy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game last night and after one horrible roll of the dice, my caracter died. Play enough and it will happen. First time i died, it was after 7 rounds. Last night i was missing 1 card after trying to kill the last big baddie.

You are going to have a better way of it if you have more players, more diverse talent pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a couple reasons. First, everyone except the Mage has plenty of blessings for continued exploration as well as allies that even the mage has. We've prioritized allies that allow for additional explorations pretty highly.

Second, in order to have to go through all 70 cards, the Henchman/Villain need to be on the bottom of every stack. Since each deck has an equally random chance to have the henchman on the top as the bottom, on average, you'll go through about 5.5 cards per location or about 39 cards per run. We USUALLY have each character do 2-3 cards per round, with some occasional 1's or a great run by the Wizard to get a bunch of free explores on acquiring magic boons, and the timer rarely runs out. We *DO* have about a 15% tendency to win on the last or second to last card, but that's usually planned (we always know who is going to have the last turn, so if we have open locations, we send people who can temporarily close and then hunt down the villain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I need to use the Wizard or maybe the decks hate us but we have yet to win with 5 players before the deck runs out. All it takes is one failed encounter with a henchman or with the big baddy and we are done for time-wise. On the other hand we have never even come close to losing a hero to death.
Paladin
Druid
Bard
Hunter
Cleric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, please don't take this is my telling you how to play your game, obviously you should play however your group sees fit...

But I can see why you never come close to losing a hero. Paladin, Druid, Bard and Cleric are ALL classes with Divine, so you've got a TON of healing power in your party. I would be amazed if you didn't already have every copy of Cure somewhere in your party.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but you may be finding that you're kinda short on Blessings, which is the most common way to get extra explorations. The Wizard gets a free explore whenever he acquires a card with the Magic trait, so he tends to go wild in places like the Acadamy.

You may have a bit better luck if you swap out one (or even two) of your healers with the Wizard and possibly the Monk. The Wizard tends to get a fair number of free explores, and the Monk's default deck is 60% blessings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
Maybe I need to use the Wizard or maybe the decks hate us but we have yet to win with 5 players before the deck runs out. All it takes is one failed encounter with a henchman or with the big baddy and we are done for time-wise. On the other hand we have never even come close to losing a hero to death.
Paladin
Druid
Bard
Hunter
Cleric.

Well, with 4 potential healers, it's no wonder why you've never come close to death. Your biggest non-spell, non-discard attack is a d8 so I could see why you have trouble in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Kassanova wrote:
70 possible cards to go through, you only have 30 rounds to do it, and you have only run out the blessing deck, once?

No. On average you're only looking at half the cards in a Location (give or take many factors). It's more like 35 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Kassanova wrote:
Paladin
Druid
Bard
Hunter
Cleric.

Well, with 4 potential healers, it's no wonder why you've never come close to death. Your biggest non-spell, non-discard attack is a d8 so I could see why you have trouble in combat.

I sold off the game a while ago, we played the party we wanted to play too bad it wasn't really a balanced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Kassanova wrote:
Paladin
Druid
Bard
Hunter
Cleric.

I sold off the game a while ago, we played the party we wanted to play too bad it wasn't really a balanced game.

If you want a boring cakewalk use the Monk, Fighter, Wizard, Bard combo for a pretty easy waltz barring terrible dice rolls and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait till last expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saphon wrote:
Tonight, we're about to start scenario 6 of the Skinsaw Murders.

Isn't there only 5 scenarios in Skinsaw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Shipp
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Ray here from Oz,
I don't know how people find this game so easy. Granted I'm not the best player around but I first played D & D in 1985, Final Fantasy books in 1984 and board games around the same time, so I have a little experience in these fields.
While the rules are simple enough and I have won some games easily, I have died numerous times and ran out of time even more. maybe it's easier with certain ones. I do like the Wandering Monster Variant and I will adopt this when I play stronger, fighter types.
I've taken Seelah and Lem on a campaign and it took me 5 goes to succeed at the very first scenario. As my characters grew I began to find it easier but when Seelah slipped and I restarted her character, the win-loss ratio has been 50-50. I love this game. I haven't found one so addictive in such a long time and like so many other fans I can't pinpoint exactly why.

It is a quick and simplified version of D&D and while the RPG aspect can never replace the iconic game, you can play more often and create a lesser but still a fantasy experience. It also has the humour of Talisman (like when Seelah died in combat to a goblin with four dice! Poor planning as well I know) without investing 4 hours. It has a variety of characters which you can build up, monsters to beat and you get to roll dice! I can play solo after work while watching TV and a beer. Need I say more? Sorry this is becoming a review.

Keep it coming Mike and Paizo! PS. I also loved that we down here in Oz didn't have to wait months after the US. I bought Skinsaw off the shelf at end of October. Outstanding service Paizo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We build the location decks as if we have 1 more person than we really do. We always play with 4 players, so we have 7 locations. We just started doing this tonight and it worked out well. It was based on some suggestions here on the boards.

We did it for two games and were paranoid about running out of turns... ended up still beating both games with 8+ blessings left.

Characters are Sajan, Lem, Kyra, and Seoni.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
Saphon wrote:
Tonight, we're about to start scenario 6 of the Skinsaw Murders.

Isn't there only 5 scenarios in Skinsaw?

Technically, but scenario 6 is the "dammit when can I get AP3?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious and probably easiest way to increase the game difficulty is add +1 or +2 to all difficulty numbers. Easy to implement and remember and it would definitely make the game significantly harder.

(Personally I think the game is fine as is but that is how I'd make it harder if I wanted to.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Menezes
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try setting up the game for the number of players you have plus one.

The extra location makes its pretty challenging but there's potentially more to earn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.