Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The words “NOT SEE” on a license plate may not appear offensive — until you say it (sounds like Nazi) and display a swastika above it.

But that’s what Shawn Calpito, of San Diego,Calif., chose for his car’s plates.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/11/not-see-licens...

I hear he is also going to lose his job, I wonder if the ACLU will get involved. the man is not Caucasian either, strange.

The most offensive part is a bus driver who owns a 7 series BWM , seriously how much do they pay bus drivers in San Diego..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, it's clear how that got approved. That's fairly clever.

I would be surprised if public justice doesn't take its toll in parking lots though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

I would be surprised if public justice doesn't take its toll in parking lots though.

The one I saw was "WEDLVR." When you get a custom plate, there's a place where you can say what the plate is supposed to say. They must have written "We Deliver" instead of "Weed Lover."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
The most offensive part is a bus driver who owns a 7 series BWM , seriously how much do they pay bus drivers in San Diego..

More importantly, does he get a seven-digit severance package if he turns out to be a not-good bus driver? Just let the free market determine what he's worth, would ya?

Why do you hate America?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Who's to say his immediate relative that he drives around all the time could be blind? jus' saying... But yeah, here's where the right to free speech gets yanked from another civilian example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
But yeah, here's where the right to free speech gets yanked from another civilian example.

Not really. He is still allowed to have the swastika and and any other hate speech bumper stickers he wants. Vanity plates have restrictions and rules since they come from the government and are a privilege, not a right, much like the privilege of driving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Justice? That's your idea of what that would be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
"Not See" doesn't sound like Nazi at all. I wouldn't even made the connection without the picture:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I guess they pulled the plates so they could mail them Ron and Rand Paul.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
license plates are not a privilege they are mandated. Nazi isn't foul language, it is a political statement which happens to be unpopular.

I say, LET idiots advertise their idiocy. Those plates will come back to haunt him. Justice. I agree.

This would be fine, but this is America, and if the DMV doesn't pull the plates, when somebody does inflict 'justice' on the car, he'll probably sue the DMV for letting him put the plates on his car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
“It’s racism in the same way that the Southern flag is a symbol of racism to African-American descendants. It’s hate speech,”

In the same sense that a group of people 'choose' to see it one way and take offense at it.

But they couldn't list something like "Black Power t-shirts" as being racist.. or "Hawaiian Pride".. or "Smart Mexican".. or any number of other things that someone 'can' choose to be offended by and see as racist.

I don't choose to see those things as hate speech, I see them as people being open and proud about their heritage or beliefs. They're welcome to that. If we look for offense, we'll find it everywhere. If we dwell on finding offense everywhere, how miserable will our lives be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

monkeyhandz wrote:
"Not See" doesn't sound like Nazi at all. I wouldn't even made the connection without the picture:

Since the URL link was indeed to an ABC News video news story and it was a video news story to begin with, the visual of the Nazi swastika symbol directly above the "NOT SEE" license plate was there and all too apparent from the outset.

Now that you know that and have since seen it in its proper context, what is your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Now that you know that and have since seen it in its proper context, what is your opinion?

I don't think this photo is legit, I read that the red and swastika was photoshopped into the picture to show the plate in context of the original complaint.

Even an ignorant racist is not dumb enough to paint over a 7 series BMW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Edit I wonder if dmvsucks plates would be allowed? Actually I don't wonder that. I wonder if a freedom of speech case could be made.

Too many letters. You'd have to do DMVSUX or something like that. I know that in California, you can have up to seven letters and one space. I don't know of any state where you can have eight letters.

In recent years, they've also added the option to include certain special characters: heart, plus sign, a hand, a star, maybe one or two others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Some states now offer vanity plates with the first letter of the state on the left....so just lob off the first letter of any naughty word that starts with the same letter and walla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
NUT SEE would have been more appropriate - somebody at the DMV dropped the ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
"Not See" doesn't sound like Nazi at all.

Not in Scotland; in most US accents it's pretty obvious without the picture once you say it out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

It's only an E65, 2001-2004.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

I don't think this photo is legit.

Even if you thought that the photograph might not be legit, are you saying that the visuals of the ABC News video news story and its accompanying text story were not legitimate?

jeremycobert wrote:
I read that the red and swastika was photo-shopped into the picture to show the plate in context of the original complaint.

What supposedly reputable source are you citing that alleged that the photograph was PhotoShopped?

jeremycobert wrote:

Except perhaps when he/she has a chip-on-his/her-shoulder point to make about his/her beliefs of the supremacy of his/her own skin color over that of others.

So please do again try to answer my question in context of the already-confirmed-and-verified factuality of the ABC News Story without further evasiveness: Now that you know that and have since seen the story in its proper context, what is your opinion about the person who chose a vanity license plate whose alphabetic letters approximated phonetically the pronunciation of the word "Nazi"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
toober wrote:
But yeah, here's where the right to free speech gets yanked from another civilian example.

Not really. He is still allowed to have the swastika and and any other hate speech bumper stickers he wants. Vanity plates have restrictions and rules since they come from the government and are a privilege, not a right, much like the privilege of driving.
license plates are not a privilege they are mandated. Nazi isn't foul language, it is a political statement which happens to be unpopular.

I say, LET idiots advertise their idiocy. Those plates will come back to haunt him. Justice. I agree.

Edit I wonder if dmvsucks plates would be allowed? Actually I don't wonder that. I wonder if a freedom of speech case could be made.

License plates are mandated, not vanity plates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Having difficulty with this too, I think the intent was clear, it's just their a retard (there's a surprise). I think it's was meant to say Nazi, but it's not definite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

I don't think this photo is legit, I read that the red and swastika was photoshopped into the picture to show the plate in context of the original complaint.

Never underestimate the stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Never underestimate the stupid.

I stand corrected.... that is just plain hurtful.yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.