Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules aren't clear. The rules seem to imply that the only shares that can be sold are the ones the company has (i.e., the director can't sell his own shares). However, in section 7.11 it says, "if the original director is forced to sell shares to finance the train, then the company buying a train may have a new director, or be in receivership". How is this possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Which version of rules are you looking at? My paper rules are at home, but the most recent version I can get from BGG doesn't talk about presidential forced sales, it suggests that if company share sales can not fund the train, then no company shares are sold and the company is instead re-financed to fund the train purchase (or else goes bankrupt).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Which version of rules are you looking at? My paper rules are at home, but the most recent version I can get from BGG doesn't talk about presidential forced sales, it suggests that if company share sales can not fund the train, then no company shares are sold and the company is instead re-financed to fund the train purchase (or else goes bankrupt).

I'm looking at the rules in the box. I'm thinking it's a typo that just slipped through but I wanted to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunh. That is strange. The paper copy I've got has an additional paragraph in section 7.11 than what is in the pre-release rules here on BGG. Not sure what happened there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect this rule covers a case where the director is forced to sell shares when the company refinances, although to be honest I'm not sure how that can happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
daveberry wrote:
I suspect this rule covers a case where the director is forced to sell shares when the company refinances, although to be honest I'm not sure how that can happen.

I'm a bit nonplussed by this. How many paragraphs do you have in 7.11? The rules should have 3, and none of them refer to the director actually selling shares. What it does say is that the share price goes down in the same way as if the director had sold shares. But that is all.

If it's still unclear can you post the offending paragraph here? I've checked my rules and can't see what you're seeing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 3 paragraphs.
Quote:

Every company must have a train at the end of its operating turn. If a company has no train, cannot afford to buy one from the bank, and is unable to purchase form another company, then it must raise money to buy the next train from the bank by selling company stock, or by re-financing. After either option has been used, the company will buy a train from the bank.

Any train bought in this instance must be a train from the bank. The company may not opt to buy a train from another company instead. The methods may not be combined.

The type of the train will be determined by the director of the company after revenue has been raised. If the original director is forced to sell shares to finance the train, then the company buying a train may have a new director, or be in receivership. If so, the new director will choose the new train type, as appropriate, or this may be determined by the rules for Receivership, below.

Emphasis added

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry - got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Dave is correct - this covers the situation where a company has to refinance in order to buy the train. It is quite possible for the following to happen:

Player 1(director) has 50% of the company. Player 2 has the other 50%.

The company has to refinance by merging shares 2:1. If player 1 does not redeem the half-share he/she will end up with 2 shares. Player 2 therefore may be able to become director by redeeming his/her half-share and end up with 3 shares.

"Sell" isn't a great word to have used, even though Player 1 is actually "selling" a half-share in the above example. "Relinquish" would probably have been better. Sorry it isn't clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! That makes perfect sense.

I can't wait to get it on the table. I'm hoping to talk my gf into trying it this weekend. Otherwise, it'll be Monday night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.