United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infiltration...
It's random.
It doesn't support a long-term strategy.
It's barely more complex than Incan Gold.
And .... I find it undeniably fun! laugh

Image by Andr0ss

Infiltration is basically Incan Gold for up to six gamers. It's a push your luck game where you and fellow data thrives infiltrate a corporate office in a futuristic, cyberpunk, Shadowrun-esqe setting. Each turn, you explore ten random rooms by picking from four basic actions or an item (super action): Advance - move forward a room; Retreat - move back a room; Download - " grab the loot" by taking downloading point tokens called data files (DFs); or Interface - trigger the unique action in your current room. After every player selection an action secretly, they then reveal and play out their actions in turn order. After the chaos of the actions resolves, if there are any automated Non Player Controlled characters, those entities run around doing their programmed duties. Finally the timer is advanced by rolling a die and adding it to the current level. Then, accelerate the timer by adding the alarm level value (a constant that is occasitionally increased by events and rooms.)
The push your luck element is that the player has to make it out of the building before the timer hits 99 OR the player loses by default. The player with that steals the most DFs and makes it out of the building wins!

Image by virre

I've not won this game. I haven't even made it out of the building by the end of the game. And that doesn't bother me a bit because I'm having too much fun running around pushing buttons and exploring rooms! This is a fun game to lose (for me).

Image by djfranky

That's the point of this game: It tells a tense, chaotic, playful heist story. There's stealing and backstabbing and unexpected surprises and combos!
There's replay value in this game for me personally because it is a fun game to teach and it takes only an hour or less. It is a fun game to introduce to others - just let them know this game is more of an experience than a opportunity for deep strategy. It's a super-filler: a good game to kick off a game day or decompress after a heavy round of a game of more substance.
Infiltration has its drawbacks. It is random enough that streak of poor luck could break the experience. It tends to build to an anticlimactic finish as it's often obvious who the winner is the moment the timer goes off...

But hopefully that's when the players start telling their stories of near-misses and clever plays and making excuses/accusations concerning why they didn't quite escape. shake devil surprise

And those stories are the real reason to play this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! It captures the fun element of this game well. I would say the only different experience I've had is that most games I've played are done in 30 minutes, making this an even more practical game to pull out for short stints or lunch breaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to enjoy this game more than I currently do. The main problem I have is that the second half of the game is rather boring. From the point you decide to turn around and begin to leave the building, your turns are nothing more than retreat, retreat, retreat. What I'd like to see are more alternative ways to leave (I know there's already at least one other way). They should still be challenging to pull off, but available nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
I really want to enjoy this game more than I currently do. The main problem I have is that the second half of the game is rather boring. From the point you decide to turn around and begin to leave the building, your turns are nothing more than retreat, retreat, retreat. What I'd like to see are more alternative ways to leave (I know there's already at least one other way). They should still be challenging to pull off, but available nonetheless.

But the fun comes from the other players doing things to stop you. My son delayed me for a turn, got out than used a card that sped up the cops, I didnt make it out. DOH!

Underrated game.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
mbialeck wrote:

But the fun comes from the other players doing things to stop you. My son delayed me for a turn, got out than used a card that sped up the cops, I didnt make it out. DOH!

Underrated game.

Jorune

Page 10 of the rule book:
"After an operative escapes the facility, he cannot re-enter the facility and does not participate further in the game until final scoring."

That's not to say that someone can't hang around the exit until the last second, but you can't sit out in full safety lobbing barriers at the folks still inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.