Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Ogre the other day and spent a couple of nights punching it and putting it together. I've not played Ogre before (I'm still reading through the rules) and I have a few questions I wondered if some of the Ogre pro's would mind answering...

1. Which sponsored sheets should I get? I don't think I want to buy them all. I like the idea of having extra options, having scenarios, and I love the 3D stuff. The BGG sheets would give me the Ogre Ninja. Other sheets seem to be partial solutions that require base set elements or other sponsor sheets (uncommon ogres) to be used to their full potential.

2. There are a lot of references to a "Full force" (as in: buy two "Targets go Boom" sheets for a full force of green Ogres). What is a full force and how do you determine you have one or not?

3. There seems to be leftover room in the Ogre garage and there's pictures on how the sponsored sheets would fit in there. But what about the tokens on the sponsored sheets? There doesn't seem to be enough room in the bottom tray for those... I'm not interested purchasing extra stuff if it doesn't fit in the box. How do people make that work?

4. Where should the 2D building tokens go?

5. What is supposed to go in the two round misc token tray cavities in the bottom tray? They show round and rectangular shapes on the SJG website, but I can't figure it out (at least not in a way that one of the trays doesn't overflow)

Thanks so much for helping out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, first, here are the cataloged contents of the standard Ogre edition:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=112364

It's a great basis of comparison for other counter options.

So, from there:

1) The Barbarians and Nightfall sets are confirmed to have scenarios coming with them. Barbarians and Nihon support additional conventional armies. BGG and Objectives terrain support scenario development, but don't have any directly-associated scenarios that I'm aware of. BGG Units and Barbarians gets you some found-nowhere-else stuff. Nightfall gets you a lot of black-colored constructables. Uncommon Ogres adds yet more Ogres, and particularly supports other sponsored sheets by giving them their only 3D Ogres. ACD, if you have access to it, adds a small independent faction centered around Fencers.

2) There is no firm definition of "full force", but this is where the counter catalog above comes into play. Black Rose, by default, has no 3D Ogres; the KS1 sheet (Targets Go Boom) gives them one each of a Mark III, Mark IV, and a Mark V, plus other goodies. So how many 3D Ogres specifically color-compatible with Black Rose do you need? It depends on just how wedded you are to making sure everything matches (because it's not as if there's a shortage of Mark IIIs) and on how many Ogres you want to run at once (because there aren't all that many Mark IVs around of any stripe).

A more concrete "full force" discussion is with regards to Barbarians and Nihon. In both cases, a double order of those sets provides conventional forces for the new armies (Vatican Guard, Sons of Old Nassau, Nihon Empire) on par with the armies packaged in Ogre (Combine, Paneuro, Black Rose). Some factions won't reach "full force" thresholds no matter what you do -- the "Third Force" in the box, the Anarchists' pink GEVs with Barbarians, ACD's units.

3) Plano boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Which sponsored sheets should I get? I don't think I want to buy them all. I like the idea of having extra options, having scenarios, and I love the 3D stuff. The BGG sheets would give me the Ogre Ninja. Other sheets seem to be partial solutions that require base set elements or other sponsor sheets (uncommon ogres) to be used to their full potential.

Depends on what you want. You don't _need_ any of them. Heck, you don't _need_ everything that's in the core box :-) They just give you some interesting variations. Barbarians has new unit types, not just different colors; so there's some interesting variation there.

Quote:
2. There are a lot of references to a "Full force" (as in: buy two "Targets go Boom" sheets for a full force of green Ogres). What is a full force and how do you determine you have one or not?

"Full force" just means "having as many of this color as there are of Red and Blue." Red (Combine) and Blue (Paneuro) are the two "primary" factions. So look at how many units there are of those and compare the count of the other colors (primarily green) to get a feel for what a "full force" is.

Quote:
3. There seems to be leftover room in the Ogre garage and there's pictures on how the sponsored sheets would fit in there. But what about the tokens on the sponsored sheets? There doesn't seem to be enough room in the bottom tray for those... I'm not interested purchasing extra stuff if it doesn't fit in the box. How do people make that work?

4. Where should the 2D building tokens go?

5. What is supposed to go in the two round misc token tray cavities in the bottom tray? They show round and rectangular shapes on the SJG website, but I can't figure it out (at least not in a way that one of the trays doesn't overflow)

These are all related, so...
Probably Plano boxes (or whatever containerized storage suits your fancy) will be your best bet for the little stuff. The "extra" space in the Ogre Garage is meant for some of the Backer Ogres, or whatever you have that needs to be put somewhere. If you don't do Plano boxes, I'd use baggies and put the small stuff into whatever nooks and crannies you can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
Which sponsored sheets should I get? I don't think I want to buy them all. I like the idea of having extra options, having scenarios, and I love the 3D stuff. The BGG sheets would give me the Ogre Ninja. Other sheets seem to be partial solutions that require base set elements or other sponsor sheets (uncommon ogres) to be used to their full potential.

I've actually played the game, but never owned it, read the rules, or set it up. So probably an even more novice question. I backed at the $150 level which I thought came with everything. What are these sponsored sheets and where do you get them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I've actually played the game, but never owned it, read the rules, or set it up. So probably an even more novice question. I backed at the $150 level which I thought came with everything. What are these sponsored sheets and where do you get them?

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/

A number of Kickstarter backers paid $4500 to have a custom counter sheet printed in quantity and provided for them to do whatever they wanted to with them. A majority of these backers are reselling the sheets, with the exception of ACD Distribution which is using them as a promo for their customers.

Some of the sheets are conventional units in a different color scheme, some are custom overlays, and some are 3D units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another questions that seems to fit this thread:
What are the green colored units and the powder blue background units for? The rules seem to just talk about red and blue units but not the extra colors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are the Black Rose Mercenaries. It was a sponsored sheet at the $3k level, which means it is in every copy of the game. The guys who bought it decided on the color scheme. It allows you to have a 'third force' or you can add a few units to your side if you don't have enough of a certain type in your chosen color.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More factions! That's (some of) the stuff that grew out of the Kickstarter. As yet, there are no in-the-box scenarios that involve additional factions. However, I'm sure plenty of the under-development scenarios (either directly for ODE, again per Kickstarter, or through the third-party sponsor scenario packs, or other general scenario development) will include specific reasons to run with 3 or more factions simultaneously.

Or you can pick your favorite color. It's the best way to get past the Ogre of Death, as Ogres don't care about swallows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also noticed that there are two designs for the PE forces in the box. Some of the vehicles and troops have green or yellow accents, others are blue. All are on white background. Is there any significance to this?

(Thanks everyone for all the answers already! Helpful!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
I also noticed that there are two designs for the PE forces in the box. Some of the vehicles and troops have green or yellow accents, others are blue. All are on white background. Is there any significance to this?

Like the Black Rose mercenary units, they are another "third force", although one that isn't quite so complete (there are no infantry on the additional PE sheets, they were replaced with building counters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:

No special significance.

They aren't PE Forces, they are just PE Artwork in a different color. It allows you to either have extra PE units if you are a bit thin on something, or use them for another force in a multi-player game. You will see a lot of the sponsor sheets also using the PE design with different colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
RobertDD wrote:

No special significance.

They aren't PE Forces

They are not? Then what are they? They are printed on white background, just like PE, and in some cases the differences are so minimal that it will be near impossible to tell the difference if they are used as a third force, I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Doing the sides in two colors was a brilliant idea. When I'm painting miniatures armies I *always* find a way to subdivide forces. If all my Elvorix are green, I have one army. If half are dark green with light green accents and half are light green with dark green accents I have one army or two, as I like

Sometimes you want to play a four player game. Sometimes you want to keep track of which are the original units and which are reinforcements. Sometimes there are scenario reasons to keep track of to subdivisions of a force. We're going to get a lot of mileage out of this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What Ever
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
They are PE units in the colors I selected.

The black/yellow/red are the national markings of Belgium. The GEVs remind mean of WWI fighters, especially the PE version with the rear-mounted engines which relate to rudders. So I put national markings on them. The green colors are meant to camouflage the units on the ground. The heavy units, i.e. mobile howitzers, are decorated to resemble WWI German night bombers.

The buildings are supposed to be combined with the building counters from SJGames so that there are enough to play the Shockwave scenario Operation: Newspaper. Lack of infantry is fine by me. I don't like infantry.

Sorry if you don't like my color choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjg173 wrote:

The black/yellow/red are the national markings of Belgium. The GEVs remind mean of WWI fighters, especially the PE version with the rear-mounted engines which relate to rudders. So I put national markings on them. The green colors are meant to camouflage the units on the ground. The heavy units, i.e. mobile howitzers, are decorated to resemble WWI German night bombers.

The buildings are supposed to be combined with the building counters from SJGames so that there are enough to play the Shockwave scenario Operation: Newspaper. Lack of infantry is fine by me. I don't like infantry.

Hey, this is cool. These little details add a lot to the game. I will take a second look when I get back to my set...!

(And all these colors are a surprise to me: I was sort of expecting just having red vs. blue... but I have green and black, too!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjg173 wrote:
They are PE units in the colors I selected...

I love your colors. You paid for 'em, so you get what you like; and I think they work very well. Not to mention we get more convention units instead of yet another sheet of Ogres. They are similar enough to be used for a larger two-player game as PE, but they are different enough to be able to distinguish them from "traditional" PE forces, at least in my opinion.

In general, I like all the colors I've seen so far. I've seen the pink GEVs, too, and they just make me smile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
rjg173 wrote:

I only noticed the different colors after I punched the sheets, so I never realized those were from a sponsored sheet. I like the colors, and I like to know the background of why they were chosen. Appropriate how the main PE force is red, white and blue (well, no red, but who's counting) and a small faction of "rebels" has Belgian colors. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.