Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I play Fleet Navigator and realize after losing the edge battle that he is going to die before he can use his tactics icon in an engagement can I instead focus him to use his 1 resource to help pay the cost for force lighting on my opponent instead of attacking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T o m m y wrote:
If I play Fleet Navigator and realize after losing the edge battle that he is going to die before he can use his tactics icon in an engagement can I instead focus him to use his 1 resource to help pay the cost for force lighting on my opponent instead of attacking?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you. We had that scenario come up in a game last night and we were unsure if you could do it. All I could find in the rulebook was that each ready unit had to "focus to strike." So we assumed focusing a participating unit for his resource was not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look in the rulebook, there should be an 'action window' after the edge battle that would technically let you play cards etc. That is the reason you can play force lightning and use the navigator to pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:
If you look in the rulebook, there should be an 'action window' after the edge battle that would technically let you play cards etc. That is the reason you can play force lightning and use the navigator to pay for it.

Yes I know. But the Fleet Navigator was assigned as an attacker. And the rulebook says that each participating ready unit must focus to strike. That's the part I was getting hung up on. Thinking that I cannot focus him for his resource since he is a participating unit. I thought he had to strike if he was ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chainsaw Rabbit
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T o m m y wrote:
Yes I know. But the Fleet Navigator was assigned as an attacker. And the rulebook says that each participating ready unit must focus to strike. That's the part I was getting hung up on. Thinking that I cannot focus him for his resource since he is a participating unit. I thought he had to strike if he was ready.

Each ready unit assigned to the battle must focus to strike, but since you choose the order they strike, that doesn't preclude them being exhausted through some other means before you strike with them. It's the same thing with an enemy's Tactics icons: if they bury one of your units under focus tokens, they're no longer ready, and no longer able to strike. You may always to exhaust a unit to use its resources or an ability during an appropriate action window, even if they're assigned to a battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown

Indiana
msg tools
It's slightly more generic than that even, you can always focus ready resource producing cards at any time you are trying to pay for the cost to play a card or use an ability. In the case of force lightning, that means during an action window because Force Lightning can only be played during an action window. However, if you were paying for a card/effect that was a reaction or interrupt, you could still focus a ready resource producing unit even if it wasn't an action window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another way to look at it--any time either player would want combat to be over, the rules say that this can't happen until all participating units have been focused. Now, whether that's to strike, or to provide resources, or to use an ability, the game doesn't know, all it knows is that if you want to leave combat and all units are focused--then you're free to go. If not? Well, those units better get to striking. Or resourcing. Or acting. Or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.