Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna introduce this game to my 8 year-old daughter. She plays games like Pokemon TCG and we started to play Krosmaster Arena (going through the tutorial in the rule book)!

I want to play the apprentice mode with her and I was wondering if I should remove some card types and add more creatures instead.

I want your opinion on how I should approach this game with her? Anybody tried this game with young players?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Mage Wars with my 9 year old son and we started when he was 8. When I taught him, the apprentice mode wasn't yet an option. I sat and watched the "how to play" videos from Arcane Wonders with my son before our first game. Our first game took about 5 hours, but we had a blast. I was the Warlock and he was The Beastmaster. I told him that a good Beastmaster strategy is to summon lots of creatures and try to overwhelm my Warlock. I printed out a copy of the codex and explained that any keyword he doesn't understand can be looked up in the Codex. I had to help him in understanding some of that stuff our first game. Since then, our game time has quickened and his sense of strategy has improved exponentially. He knows and plays the game well now. It took a few plays for him to get really comfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no children and my nephews are all significantly older than your daughter at this point. Although I have fond memories of teaching them games when they were younger. From that experience, I believe that an 8 year old should be able to pick up Apprentice Mode just fine, especially if she is already familiar with a TCG. No need to change anything further.

Her biggest hurdle will probably be reading and comprehension. If she is good at that she'll pick things up quickly. If she struggles, you'll have to help her along, but I'm sure she'll eventually get it.

I would recommend reading the How To Teach Mage Wars guide by Arcane Wonders: https://www.dropbox.com/s/klm2g6egim6hqyz/Mage_Wars-How_to_T...

It isn't geared towards kids specifically, but it is a great way to teach the game period. I believe it will assist you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10 year old watched me play solo for a while, and I talked out about what I was doing. He picked it up really well that way. He has never played Magic or Pokemon but plays various games such as Minecraft, Elder Scrolls, etc.

We then played three apprentice games. He as Warlock and me as Beastmaster. Those are two good guys to start with. I made a few suggestions as we played and he got on fine. Played the BM as an archetype swarmer. He won game three without help.

I am scared to play him now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.