Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First I would like to thank Neil et.al. for their quick responses to my first rule posting.

Controlling Spaces(5.1): Under controlling land spaces (5.11) it says one needs a 'Town or City, a Garrison, or Land Units of any type...'. Under controlling Ports (5.14) it says 'a player controls only those ports he occupies with at least one land unit or garrison...'. Is this a mis-print? Surely if you have a city or town in the port space you control it.

Amphibious Attacks (11.33): Rules 11.34 and 11.35 seen to contradict each other. 11.34 says 'an Amphibious Attack may be conducted only if the Active force has enough Movement Points to debark elsewhere...'. There is even a Play Note telling players to back up if the attacker finds he does not have enought MP to do the assault. Yet in 11.35 it says 'If it does not have enough MP remaining to perform either action, the player rolls a die...'. After reading 11.34, when would you use the die-roll portion of 11.35?

Under the event card 'Change in Political Scene', the 2nd bullet says 'Return all your Objective markers to your pool and re-select (blindly) 3 new ones. The 're-select (blindly) 3 new ones)' portion I assume is a hold-over from the original victory rules which have changed. My question is, does the effected player instead draw however many OO markers he returned to the pool?

Thanks again!
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A couple more questions after my 2nd reading of the rule
Bill, cities and towns control their spaces (see 7.21) because they have an intrinsic garrison. The rule in 5.14 is actually consistent because there is a land unit in the city or town. What it distinctly prohibits though is that you control a port with a galley. I agree it could be clearer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With respect to number 3, the OO markers, I think your interpretation is fine, but let's see what Neil says. We used to play with 3 OO markers each (that were not purchased) so the card made sense in that case.

I know the Amphibious Attack stuff is a little confusing, but when you play, it makes a lot more sense. The two sections do not contradict each other, though I believe 11.34 is redundant. It's actually pretty simple (and is a lot clearer in the example further along):

1. You need MP to sail to the space, disembark, and one more to attack. This is really not special. You always need one more to attack even on land movement.
2. If you win by pushing out the defender, you have disembarked in the space and all is good.
3. If you lose, the nastiness of 11.35 comes in. You must retreat and if you don't have enough MP (you need 2) to sail and disembark in a friendly place, you roll the die of doom.

Remember, though, that you can be intercepted when you land.

That's how I remember it, but again I don't have the final rules and what Neil says is the official ruling. I'm just trying to help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
Surely if you have a city or town in the port space you control it.

Correct (and noted). Michael is correct as well: you may not control a port with only a galley - that was the intention of the rule. But, yep, it should also specify Town or City as giving it control

Quote:
Amphibious Attacks (11.33): Rules 11.34 and 11.35 seen to contradict each other. 11.34 says 'an Amphibious Attack may be conducted only if the Active force has enough Movement Points to debark elsewhere...'. There is even a Play Note telling players to back up if the attacker finds he does not have enought MP to do the assault. Yet in 11.35 it says 'If it does not have enough MP remaining to perform either action, the player rolls a die...'. After reading 11.34, when would you use the die-roll portion of 11.35?

11.35 is about what happens if you do the amphibious attack but do not take the space. You had enough MP to perform the amphibious attack in the first place (satisfying 11.34), but you failed to dislodge the defender. Since you can't stay in that space, you must Regroup. 11.35 tells you what happens if that's necessary.

Quote:
Under the event card 'Change in Political Scene', the 2nd bullet says 'Return all your Objective markers to your pool and re-select (blindly) 3 new ones. The 're-select (blindly) 3 new ones)' portion I assume is a hold-over from the original victory rules which have changed. My question is, does the effected player instead draw however many OO markers he returned to the pool?

The card itself is correct; you return all your OOs to the pool. You don't get to choose others. (Yes, this is a holdover; I've corrected - thanks).

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'm just trying to help out.

And doing an excellent job. Much appreciated.
NR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I remember a few botched Amphibious Attacks. The inner meaning of the rule is it's good to have 2 MP left!!! (just in case)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.